I finished the birth plan for my hospital birth and was hoping to get some feedback. If anyone is willing I would really appreciate it. TIA
Birth Preferences for Male-Female Dizygotic Twins
The information that follows is a copy of my birth preferences. I prefer as little intervention as possible if labor is progressing normally. My husband, Cliff, and I have given careful consideration, based on my previous birth experiences and personal research, to each specific request and understand these choices presume a normal twin birth. We wish to have clear explanations (risks and benefits) of all procedures, of the progress of labor as it is assessed, and of any possible special circumstances if they occur. In the absence of special circumstances, we ask that the following requests be honored.
XXX is my birth attendant and I request her presence, along with my husband Cliff, with me and/or a separated baby at all times during labor, delivery and post-partum care.
· I would like to have as natural experience as possible including freedom of movement, intermittent fetal heart rate monitoring and minimal vaginal exams.
· I understand that my GBS+ status means I must receive IV antibiotics. I request that antibiotics be administered as quickly as possible after admission and the IV line to be switched to a Hep-Lock after administration.
· I understand that pain medications are available to me. My goal is to deliver vaginally without the use of any medications; to that end please do not offer any pain medications.
· I prefer to push and deliver in whatever position feels best at the time.
· It's important to me to push instinctively. I do not want to be told how or when to push.
· I prefer to have no episiotomy and risk tearing.
· I would like to hold Baby A skin-to-skin until labor begins for Baby B. When labor begins for Baby B, my husband Cliff would like to hold Baby A skin-to-skin.
· Please wait for the umbilical cord to stop pulsating before it is clamped.
· I decline the following routine procedures for both babies: Erythromycin eye drops, all immunizations, including Hepatitis B, and Vitamin K. I am willing to sign a formal waiver if need be.
· I decline newborns baths. I will bathe the babies at a later time. I understand that hospital staff may need to wear gloves when handling the babies until they are bathed.
· I decline circumcision for my son.
· If either of my babies must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, my husband or XXX will accompany the baby at all times.
· I expect to breastfeed any stable, healthy baby as soon as s/he exhibits feeding cues.
· If any or all babies require NICU care, I would like to initiate breastmilk expression (pumping) within 1 to 3 hours of birth.
· No matter what situation arises during any baby’s NICU stay, we expect to be part of any discussion of, and to give permission for, any medical intervention being considered for our babies.
· Breastfeeding/lactation: My goal is to exclusively breastfeed both babies and we want our babies to receive as much of my colostrum and milk as possible. We request the assistance of the NICU staff and lactation consultant in facilitating this goal.
· I would like help to initiate breastfeeding as soon as any baby shows signs of interest or begins to coordinate sucking and swallowing.
· If I do not obtain enough colostrum/expressed milk for both babies initially, we want to explore other options before offering formula.
· Please do not offer formula or pacifiers.
· Kangaroo Care: We would like to initiate skin-to-skin care as soon as possible. If I am not able to provide kangaroo care, Cliff or another person we designate will do so.
· Co-bedding: If both of our babies require NICU care, we would like them to be co-bedded in a single crib as soon as medically stable.
· If co-bedding is not yet possible, we would like our babies’ cribs/isolettes to be placed side-by-side.