or Connect
Mothering › Groups › September 2012 Due Date Club › Discussions › spotlight on FaliciaGayle!

spotlight on FaliciaGayle!

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
How did you meet your SO?
post #2 of 14

Hi!  :)

DH and I met through eHarmony. He is the only person I was ever matched with - good thing it worked out!  We went through all the eHarmony steps (you can go through their recommended communication steps or just skip to direct email), and eventually met for sushi.  We got engaged 3 weeks later, though we waited a year to get married.  That was almost 7 years ago.  love.gif

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
oh wow! cool modern love story!
post #4 of 14

Love it!  DH and I met through an online dating site too, some 5 years ago.

 

Are your older children excited to meet their new sibling? 

What is one place you would love to visit but have never been to?

What's your favourite homecooked meal?

post #5 of 14
That is a cool modern love story smile.gif

Would you mind sharing a little bit about your older two kids birth stories? (I'm always intrigued by homebirth signatures!) How do you think this birth with be similar/different?
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalovex3 View Post

Love it!  DH and I met through an online dating site too, some 5 years ago.

 

Are your older children excited to meet their new sibling? 

What is one place you would love to visit but have never been to?

What's your favourite homecooked meal?

 

I'm always surprised how many people meet through online dating sites - it's pretty groovy.

 

DD is beyond excited to meet the LO.  She is convinced it will be a sister.  She has informed me and my MW that she wants to cut the cord.  DS isn't quite certain of what's going on.  I've tried to explain that he gets to be a little and big brother at the same time ..... I'm sure he'll be excited once this little one gets here.  They both kiss my belly and yell "BABY!" when they touch it.  It's very sweet.

 

I would love to go to Canada - Banf and Lake Louise areas...  and Southern America - Argentina, Chile.

 

My favorite meal cooked by me is probably salmon pie, followed by matzah ball soup.  Favorite homecooked meal by anyone else??  Pretty much whatever they want to make me.  Heh.  I always request my mom's salmon patties when she visits me.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal_buffaloe View Post

That is a cool modern love story smile.gif
Would you mind sharing a little bit about your older two kids birth stories? (I'm always intrigued by homebirth signatures!) How do you think this birth with be similar/different?

 

No problem :) DD came at nearly 42 weeks.  I don't remember being stressed about being "overdue" but that's likely because I was in my last year of my B.S. program at Uni.  Water broke in lab in the AM, no cntx all day till 4 or 5, and then Holy Labor, Batman, it was intense!  I remember not liking the birth ball, being afraid to get in the pool because I thought it would slow down labor but all I wanted to do was get in the freaking pool, and mooing on my bed on all fours.  Eventually I got in the water and pushed her out in an hour or so.  I remember how her head would come out and then retract when contractions ended and thinking how glad I was that I had seen birth videos to know that was normal.  My mom was there, the MW and her assistant, DH, our cat and dog.  Being home was mellow (though my sounds were not).  I hemmorhaged after, fainted, had a shot of Pit and some smelling salts.  They didn't leave until I was able to walk to the bathroom by myself.  Overall, it was an awesome experience.  Active labor was about 7 hours.  When I returned to class, all the women wanted to know what it was like and all I could say was "You can do it!"  

 

With DS, I chose to practice Hypnobabies because the intensity of DDs birth was overwhelming.  Generally the birth felt much calmer and I felt more present and capable of managing the experience.  I was nursing DD to sleep when the first wave came (after sobbing to my MW that I was never going into labor - DS was born at exactly 42 weeks).  I got up, told DH to finish putting her to bed, grabbed my iPod and loaded up my hypnobabies.  The waves weren't regular and not too intense, but by the time I decided I needed the MW there I was shaking from the waves.  I got into my bathtub (I never seem to get to use these amazing birth pools the way I hope to!), felt him moving through my pelvis, threw up, and thought "naaah, I can't be in transition."  Then there was a pop, and a definite pushing contraction.  I tried to breath through the pushing... he crowned as the MW came running up the stairs to our apartment.  They managed to get me into the birth pool in time for me to push out baby.  I'll never forget looking up at DH and saying "That was easy!"  Total labor was 4 hours.  I hemmorhaged again, ended up with Pit and an IV.  

 

With this one I have no idea what to expect.  A little concerned it will happen even faster.. the MW lives about an hour away.  I haven't been as diligent practicing my hypnobabies.  It seems like third babies are a wild card in terms of labor/birth but who knows?  I had a dream this one was early, came in 30 minutes, and was a girl.  We'll see, eh?  :D

post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post

I had a dream this one was early, came in 30 minutes, and was a girl.  We'll see, eh?  orngbiggrin.gif

Har! Yes, we will see -- and fairly soon actually smile.gif I read something about women predicting the sex of their children that said we're about 70% accurate when we feel sure or have had a dream -- about 50% accurate otherwise. Those are great birth stories!
post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post

 

I remember not liking the birth ball, being afraid to get in the pool because I thought it would slow down labor but all I wanted to do was get in the freaking pool, and mooing on my bed on all fours.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal_buffaloe View Post

I read something about women predicting the sex of their children that said we're about 70% accurate when we feel sure or have had a dream -- about 50% accurate otherwise.

 

Hehehe.. I have no great questions to add, but this thread is cracking me up. winky.gif

post #9 of 14
LOL - you know what I mean, right? As in, if a woman *thinks* she knows, she's got better-than-average odds of being right, but if she says, "I have no idea," and the researcher makes her guess, it's just like flipping a coin. I admit that I worded it strangely, but I don't know how to say it -- I'm gonna blame this one on baby brain as well smile.gif
post #10 of 14

No, no, the findings totally came through in the way you said it the first time! Something about the phrasing just tickled my funny bone. And it was great to laugh- so thank you!! :)

post #11 of 14
I am afraid we somewhat hijacked Faliciagayle's spotlight thread, hyde! Back on the leading lady:

Do you have any pet peeves?

Do you read any other blogs or websites regularly?
post #12 of 14

Sorry, FaliciaGayle! blush.gif

 

I'm always curious about places and families of origin.

 

How many aunts/uncles/cousins do your kids have? Do you live close to family on either side? What's your favorite thing about family get-togethers?

 

Did you grow up in NY, or are you from somewhere else originally? Are you living where you want to be, or would you move somewhere else if given the chance?

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal_buffaloe View Post

I am afraid we somewhat hijacked Faliciagayle's spotlight thread, hyde! Back on the leading lady:
Do you have any pet peeves?
Do you read any other blogs or websites regularly?

No worries!

 

pet peeves - thankfully nothing pops out at me.  

 

I read a few parenting blogs, crafting and sewing blogs, a professional work related website, and of course, facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post

Sorry, FaliciaGayle! blush.gif

 

I'm always curious about places and families of origin.

 

How many aunts/uncles/cousins do your kids have? Do you live close to family on either side? What's your favorite thing about family get-togethers?

 

Did you grow up in NY, or are you from somewhere else originally? Are you living where you want to be, or would you move somewhere else if given the chance?

 

DH and I both have one sister each, neither is married nor has kids.  DH has a lot of extended family so our kids have cousins that way, but no first cousins.  Family get togethers are mostly parents and siblings, which I enjoy because we only see our parents every few months.  DH grew up in NY but we met out in CA where I'm from.  His parents live down south, my parents are still in CA and both our sisters are in the northwest.  The kids and I usually spend a month in CA during the summer (that's where we are currently) but I have a feeling this is the last time I can do this trip alone.  Moving to NY has been hard and a major adjustment, but there are things I like about it now.  If the right opportunity presented itself, we would move back to CA.  My career would be easier to facilitate back there and being away from family is not my preference.... 

post #14 of 14
I have a childless, unmarried sister as well, and she treats DD like a doll baby eyesroll.gif It's fun for both of them, though, and she's great for an hour or two of babysitting a week (not much more than that, though!) so I really can't complain. Yesterday, I came home after a little over an hour finishing up at the office to find her with her fingernails painted (first time on that one). Do the aunts get to spoil your kids much?

And any specific blogs/websites that you'd recommend? (Like I need another time-waster on the internet, but I do browse pretty frequently!)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: September 2012 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › September 2012 Due Date Club › Discussions › spotlight on FaliciaGayle!