Ds is almost 6 years old and not vaxed. My husband is pro-vax. It has been a constant battle beween us since he was born. My son recently got Whooping Cough and is still coughing but very seldom. He never had it very bad. He did have coughing fits a few times a day and at night but on a scale of 1 to 10- I would give it a 5. The overall illness that is. But the fact that he is still coughing (very seldom) has my DH concerned. Although previous years the Dr even told me coughs can last months. He wants to take him to the DR personally. I am sure they will say give him antibiotics which at this point from what I understand is no benefit. I think he contracted it at the end of May at preschool. Coughing starrted first or 2nd wk in June I read all kinds of info on SA and pertussis so I have been giving it to him but not in the super high doses. Now my husband is on my case again to get him vaccinated . My inlaws are all pressuring him. They have a friend who is an ER doctor who is "concerned" about my son and has voiced his concern to my DH. I send alll my research to DH but he never reads or listens to any of it. I am just so tired of fighting. The more I read the more convinced I get. Had I known I would feel so passionatly about non vaxing I would have sought out a different husband. Any advice on dealing w my DH?
- topicVaccinationstagged by System, 7/23/12
Related Forum Threads
- Chickenpox, to expose or not to expose Last post on Yesterday at 8:30 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- Chicken Pox and Medically Fragile Last post on Yesterday at 5:13 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- 23andme Crack down by FDA, just what we need, more regulations! Last post on 12/7/13 at 9:51am in I'm Not Vaccinating
- SIL wont let my kids see her newborn Last post on 12/7/13 at 3:57pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- Requesting a tiny bit of support... or a smack on the head Last post on 12/7/13 at 10:58am in I'm Not Vaccinating
My Vaccine Info
Last edited: 3/4/13
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?Last edited: 2/24/13
- Resources for Non-vaccinating FamiliesLast edited: 1/18/13
- Frontline's War on Selectively Vaccinating ParentsLast edited: 3/14/13
- In Britain 12-Year-Olds Vaccinated Without Parental ConsentLast edited: 3/8/13
Tired of fighting the no vax iissue-so tired......post #1 of 57/23/12 at 12:43pmThread Starterpost #2 of 57/23/12 at 4:04pm
don't have any suggestions but wanted to offer a *hug* and support. my husband was anti-home birth, pro-circumcision, pro-vaccine, and everything else when i was pregnant with my son (also 6). he changed his mind about circumcision due to a very unbiased discussion with my midwife, and after a highly medicalized hospital birth, he also shifted his stance on home birth (took another baby to really shake him) and once we started dialog on vaccines, he also moved on that. I don't know how you can make someone either be or trust an intuitive/alternative parent. I don't think you can. Not matter what evidence you show, you're not going to convince anyone. I don't know how I would deal with trying to convince someone who was not able to see the big picture. My husband has so much faith in my non-vax stance, that even though I try and be polite, hear people out, be very patient and non-judgemental, he always sells the non-vaxing like it's the gold standard.
Part of the journey for us has been my husband growing to trust my decisions as a parent b/c of my confidence and actually straight up know-it-all-ism. recently, my son fell and sprained his thumb, it swelled up but was obviously not broken, just painful, and it was a bit of a back-and-forth as to whether it needed to be an ER visit or not. Me saying no, he saying 'just to be safe.' Fast forward- no ER, nothing got worse, hand healed, no problems, and it's a bit more of a support next time there is trauma. Over the years, there have been many of these situations. I also feel for you w/ the pertussis, as you can say "he's now more immune than if he got the shots, and it wasn't fun but it wasn't that bad"- but your husband's experience was different and probably much scarier for him. people can share the same experience and come out with very very very different memories and emotions connected to the event.
I don't know how to get your husband to see your side and trust your choices. But I hope you can find a middle ground that can really give you all peace on this matter, and any others that come up.post #3 of 57/23/12 at 5:02pmThread Starter
Thanks for your support. I was able to convince him re no circumcism although he worries about that issue. I think one of our biggest problems is his stepmother. She is a retired nurse and thinks she knows everything. Regarding the Whooping cough- I actually figured out he had it but my Dh had no idea. I thought it would show him that getting it was not much worse than any other illness. The cough was more extreme of course. Its just exhausting having to support my views over and over year after year.post #4 of 57/23/12 at 8:09pm
He probably only had it at a 5 (on a 1-10 scale) because he WASN'T vaccinated! Good for you for staying strong for so long. I know there are alot of natural way to heal whooping cough. Most work better than western medicine.
My husband is also semi pro vax... He thinks they should get them when they get older....needless to say...we go rounds on the subject.
His father and step mother refuse to see our children and us because they are "contagious"! My husband has a hard time with the rejection, to support his wife, that he doesnt totally agree with...
Just stay strong and keep giving him the material to read. He will come around. And don't be afraid to tell his mom to butt out. YOUR marriage YOUR children YOUR decisions!
hugs and love!
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
- › Natural Hair Conditioner for Toddler? 2 minutes ago
- › Baby Photos! 3 minutes ago
- › Anyone here with kids who use Khan Academy? 5 minutes ago
- › Do you do the whole Santa Claus thing? 7 minutes ago
- › Post-partum check in here! 10 minutes ago
- › Did you tell your children about Santa? 13 minutes ago
- › New MTV show "Generation Cryo" 17 minutes ago
- › The Fertility Challenged One Thread 21 minutes ago
- › Fabulous Forty Somethings TTC! 21 minutes ago
- › December Spend-Less Challenge: Let's Fill Our Stockings with... 23 minutes ago
- › The Polar Express by MamaLucera
- › The Return of the Light: Twelve Tales from Around the World for the... by Terry Stafford
- › The Shortest Day: Celebrating the Winter Solstice by Terry Stafford
- › The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative by Fembot
- › The Snow Queen by Astraia
- › The Night Before Christmas by 1love4ever
- › The Snowy Day by janonia
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › Can Attachment Parents Put Their Own... by KidsInTheHouse
- › Phases of a Nursling by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Holiday Books Giveaway Rules by Melanie Mayo
- › Developmental Milestones to Marvel At by Monica S
- › 15 Fun and Enchanting Holiday Tales for Children by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo