Ds is almost 6 years old and not vaxed. My husband is pro-vax. It has been a constant battle beween us since he was born. My son recently got Whooping Cough and is still coughing but very seldom. He never had it very bad. He did have coughing fits a few times a day and at night but on a scale of 1 to 10- I would give it a 5. The overall illness that is. But the fact that he is still coughing (very seldom) has my DH concerned. Although previous years the Dr even told me coughs can last months. He wants to take him to the DR personally. I am sure they will say give him antibiotics which at this point from what I understand is no benefit. I think he contracted it at the end of May at preschool. Coughing starrted first or 2nd wk in June I read all kinds of info on SA and pertussis so I have been giving it to him but not in the super high doses. Now my husband is on my case again to get him vaccinated . My inlaws are all pressuring him. They have a friend who is an ER doctor who is "concerned" about my son and has voiced his concern to my DH. I send alll my research to DH but he never reads or listens to any of it. I am just so tired of fighting. The more I read the more convinced I get. Had I known I would feel so passionatly about non vaxing I would have sought out a different husband. Any advice on dealing w my DH?
Related Forum Threads
- 4 mo old has cough... Can't get pertussis off my mind! Last post on Today at 11:50 am in I'm Not Vaccinating
- do i need an exemption if homeschooling? Last post on Today at 9:08 am in I'm Not Vaccinating
- DH has shingles.... how to prepare for chicken pox? Last post on Yesterday at 11:04 am in I'm Not Vaccinating
- MSM Fox News Tells of Vaccine's Failure Last post on 5/20/13 at 6:42pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- Ear piercing and Tetanus Last post on 5/20/13 at 12:27pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
Edited on 2/24/13
- Resources for Non-vaccinating FamiliesEdited on 1/18/13
- Frontline's War on Selectively Vaccinating ParentsEdited on 3/14/13
- In Britain 12-Year-Olds Vaccinated Without Parental ConsentEdited on 3/8/13
- The Right to RefuseEdited on 3/20/13
Tired of fighting the no vax iissue-so tired......post #1 of 57/23/12 at 12:43pmThread Starterpost #2 of 57/23/12 at 4:04pm
don't have any suggestions but wanted to offer a *hug* and support. my husband was anti-home birth, pro-circumcision, pro-vaccine, and everything else when i was pregnant with my son (also 6). he changed his mind about circumcision due to a very unbiased discussion with my midwife, and after a highly medicalized hospital birth, he also shifted his stance on home birth (took another baby to really shake him) and once we started dialog on vaccines, he also moved on that. I don't know how you can make someone either be or trust an intuitive/alternative parent. I don't think you can. Not matter what evidence you show, you're not going to convince anyone. I don't know how I would deal with trying to convince someone who was not able to see the big picture. My husband has so much faith in my non-vax stance, that even though I try and be polite, hear people out, be very patient and non-judgemental, he always sells the non-vaxing like it's the gold standard.
Part of the journey for us has been my husband growing to trust my decisions as a parent b/c of my confidence and actually straight up know-it-all-ism. recently, my son fell and sprained his thumb, it swelled up but was obviously not broken, just painful, and it was a bit of a back-and-forth as to whether it needed to be an ER visit or not. Me saying no, he saying 'just to be safe.' Fast forward- no ER, nothing got worse, hand healed, no problems, and it's a bit more of a support next time there is trauma. Over the years, there have been many of these situations. I also feel for you w/ the pertussis, as you can say "he's now more immune than if he got the shots, and it wasn't fun but it wasn't that bad"- but your husband's experience was different and probably much scarier for him. people can share the same experience and come out with very very very different memories and emotions connected to the event.
I don't know how to get your husband to see your side and trust your choices. But I hope you can find a middle ground that can really give you all peace on this matter, and any others that come up.post #3 of 57/23/12 at 5:02pmThread Starter
Thanks for your support. I was able to convince him re no circumcism although he worries about that issue. I think one of our biggest problems is his stepmother. She is a retired nurse and thinks she knows everything. Regarding the Whooping cough- I actually figured out he had it but my Dh had no idea. I thought it would show him that getting it was not much worse than any other illness. The cough was more extreme of course. Its just exhausting having to support my views over and over year after year.post #4 of 57/23/12 at 8:09pm
He probably only had it at a 5 (on a 1-10 scale) because he WASN'T vaccinated! Good for you for staying strong for so long. I know there are alot of natural way to heal whooping cough. Most work better than western medicine.
My husband is also semi pro vax... He thinks they should get them when they get older....needless to say...we go rounds on the subject.
His father and step mother refuse to see our children and us because they are "contagious"! My husband has a hard time with the rejection, to support his wife, that he doesnt totally agree with...
Just stay strong and keep giving him the material to read. He will come around. And don't be afraid to tell his mom to butt out. YOUR marriage YOUR children YOUR decisions!
hugs and love!
- Tired of fighting the no vax iissue-so tired......
- Resources for Non-vaccinating Families
- › May 2013 Chat Thread 1 minute ago
- › DS is different 2 minutes ago
- › What would You do? 3 minutes ago
- › Baby Wiggles 3 minutes ago
- › Weekly Chat --May 20-26 5 minutes ago
- › First post-birth meal or snack 6 minutes ago
- › 23 weeks and still exhausted and having food aversions - anyone else? 7 minutes ago
- › TMI Nipple Question 8 minutes ago
- › Roll Call! 13 minutes ago
- › Distance between houses for daily visitation 14 minutes ago
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by casaDES
- › Lansinoh 20265 Disposable Nursing Pads, 60-pack by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by earobb
- › Medela Nightime Nursing Sleep Bra by earobb
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by earobb
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by earobb
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by JillVettel
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark