or Connect
Mothering › Groups › August 2012 Birth Club › Discussions › Post-partum products?

Post-partum products? - Page 2

post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCoello View Post

I am 4 days post-partum and I am loving padsicles, frozen with 2T witch hazel each. That and the dermaplast spray from the hospital are heavenly on my 2nd degree tear!

 

.... You had your baby!!  Congrats, CCoello!!!  Hope you're both doing well...   :)

post #22 of 35

Congrats on your LO, CCoello!

post #23 of 35

Aw shucks, thanks! One more PP item to recommend - your own placenta. I don't have anything to compare this to, as it is my first, but I am glad I am eating my placenta. I have tons of energy - I have to force myself to take it easy.

 

We stayed in the hospital for about 24 hours after the birth. The morning after we got home I removed the membranes and chopped it into little half-dollar coin size pieces. I've blended 1-2 pieces up each morning with fruit and juice (lots of red berries/beet juice so you forget it's there) and drank it in smoothies. This morning I was nervous it would start to spoil, so I ground the rest of it up in the blender and froze it in a little ice cube tray so I can keep it going for the next week.

 

I feel like it gives me a lift and makes the hormone shifts manageable!

post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCoello View Post

Aw shucks, thanks! One more PP item to recommend - your own placenta. I don't have anything to compare this to, as it is my first, but I am glad I am eating my placenta. I have tons of energy - I have to force myself to take it easy.

 

We stayed in the hospital for about 24 hours after the birth. The morning after we got home I removed the membranes and chopped it into little half-dollar coin size pieces. I've blended 1-2 pieces up each morning with fruit and juice (lots of red berries/beet juice so you forget it's there) and drank it in smoothies. This morning I was nervous it would start to spoil, so I ground the rest of it up in the blender and froze it in a little ice cube tray so I can keep it going for the next week.

 

I feel like it gives me a lift and makes the hormone shifts manageable!

 

My midwife suggested the same thing - she puts lots of strawberries in her placenta smoothies.  "If you see something, it's just strawberry!  THAT'S ALL.  Just drink it."  ROTFLMAO.gif

post #25 of 35

Olive oil!!  I always keep a bottle of olive oil on hand for baby's meconium diapers and dry skin.  smile.gif

 

And I'm all done getting ready for the birth until I read this and realized.... OMG I FORGOT A PERI BOTTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  yikes2.gif

 

I KNOW better than to be caught without one after the birth, but it wasn't on the list from my midwife and I just completely and airheaded-ly forgot to buy one. If I remember right, it was hard to find one last time.  I think we used some sort of a kitchen type squirt bottle.  But I desperately need to find one.  I'm sitting here thinking about how I wish I could go into labor, but now, knowing I don't have that and we're in desperate need of liquid hand soap I forgot to buy today, I'm actually feeling like no, no, no - I HAVE to get them first!!

 

Pregnancy is making me crazy, I do believe.

post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywhistle View Post

 

My midwife suggested the same thing - she puts lots of strawberries in her placenta smoothies.  "If you see something, it's just strawberry!  THAT'S ALL.  Just drink it."  ROTFLMAO.gif

kudos on you for doing it raw... no way Josè for me!! I got mine encapsulated!

post #27 of 35

I'm going to do both - make a smoothie the first day or two, but encapsulate the rest.  I want to try it raw, but know I won't be able to stick with it for long!

post #28 of 35
Yeah, raw is NOT an option for me. I looked up DIY encapsulation and it turns my stomach. Worth $250 for someone else to encapsulate it for me smile.gif. I have my peri bottle that the hospital gave me with my first. Not sure where u would have gotten it otherwise.
post #29 of 35

I am ABSOLUTELY having my midwife do all the placenta work for me.  I do not have the stomach of steel needed to handle that!

post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywhistle View Post

I am ABSOLUTELY having my midwife do all the placenta work for me.  I do not have the stomach of steel needed to handle that!

 

 

My doula said it smelled like Alpo... sneeze.gifI spent the $250 GLADLY... 

post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetchotchkes View Post

 

 

My doula said it smelled like Alpo... sneeze.gifI spent the $250 GLADLY... 

YIKES! That description will stay with me forever. I will do a smoothie, but I have to admit I have a really cruddy blender, but I hope it gets it thumbsup.gif

post #32 of 35
Thandiwe, when I needed a peri bottle after surgery last year I ended up using one meant for condiments! Like ketchup/mustard, but the bottle was clear. It worked pretty well and I think I got it at target.

I have been loving the hospital pad combo of tucks pads on two maxi pads (side by side) on a folded chux pad in a pair of disposable mesh undies. I'm trying my store bought giant pads before I go home to see how they compare.
post #33 of 35

What a great idea - a peri bottle is just like a condiment bottle!  Maybe I will pick up another one to keep in the other bathroom instead of always using the one upstairs. 

post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppylove View Post

My dh and I are making pp pads (hehehe, dh would be mortified if he knew i shared that)

It felt fantastic last time. 

Aloe, lavender, witch hazel squirted on a maxi and frozen (individually wrapped for easy grabbin)

 

THIS!  I remember these being the greatest invention known to man...  Aloe juice, btw, not gel - you can get it at whole foods in the section near witch hazel, etc. (the stuff in the drinks aisle all has sugar and flavors added.)  Trader Joe's also sells it, but by the gallon.  And yeah, just a couple of tbs of liquid total or else they're popsicles.

 

My other favorite pp product was frozen First Years Lanolin Breast Pads - basic disposable breast pads with a bit of lanolin already worked in, and then stuck in the freezer so it was really cold and soothing while getting used to BFing.  Unfortunately, they've discontinued them - I still have half a box left from my toddler, but I'm going to dab a bit of lanolin into the center of another brand and store in the freezer for the first few weeks pp.

post #35 of 35
Thread Starter 

Not exactly a post partum product, but this time around, I put all my post partum things in a small handbag/luggage so that everything was ready before the birth. That went straight into the bathroom afterwards, and it was really nice to have all my "stuff" in one place, and easily zipped up to either be a little more discrete, or to keep it away from my curious toddler!

 

On a similar note, someone upthread mentioned having a sports water bottle that could be drunk from any angle. I wish I had one on hand! Something that also doesn't leak, so I can just keep it in bed with me, as I am SOOOO thirsty from nursing all the time. 

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2012 Birth Club
Mothering › Groups › August 2012 Birth Club › Discussions › Post-partum products?