We haven't done any vaccinations for our DD (4 in Oct) since she was 4mo. We are going on a cruise in September with stops in Haiti, Mexico and Jamaica. DH is freaking out that she isn't vaccinated and wants to do some to prevent disease that he is worried she'll be exposed to on the ship and islands. Clearly I'm anti-vax and he is more pro (though willing to be selective and delay, obviously). I don't want to expose her to something that may actually kill her or cause irrevocable damage, but I don't want to suddenly jump on the vax ride, either. Help?
Related Forum Threads
- Working With Doctors Last post on Yesterday at 6:45 pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- Just starting vaccines Last post on 4/13/14 at 3:14pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- Vaccinating foster children. Last post on 4/14/14 at 5:39pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- Titer test for Hib and Pcv? Last post on 4/11/14 at 5:32pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- Vaccines and Gut Health Last post on 3/26/14 at 3:16pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
My Vaccine Info
Last edited: 3/4/13
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?Last edited: 12/26/13
- Vaccination BooklistLast edited: 6/27/11
- Selectively Vaccinating For International TravelLast edited: 6/27/11
- Vaccine Exemption Information for All 50 States In The USLast edited: 1/18/13
(Mostly) nonvaxed DD on caribbean cruise - DH is freaking outpost #1 of 37/27/12 at 8:45amThread Starterpost #2 of 37/27/12 at 10:10am
Does the cruise line recommend travel vaccines for passengers? Do you have a regular pediatrician you could discuss the trip plans with?
My thinking is kind of divided:
- This is a cruise. It doesn't sound like you're getting off the boat to do humanitarian work. Your DD will mostly be exposed to people also on the boat, which is to say, pretty much the same population as where you live now.
- This is, on the other hand, a cruise, and even if the population is largely vaccinated, food, water, etc. may be issues and perhaps some travel vaccines are indicated.
(The conflict between these two would have me consulting a pediatrician if I were in your shoes.)
- Things like norovirus and rotavirus can go absolutely nuts on cruise ships, and the rota vax is oral, and golly that might be worthwhile.post #3 of 38/2/12 at 1:13pm
If your child is 3 yrs now, they are too old for rota vax. I would say it depend on how much time you are going to spend off the boat at each location and what you are going to be doing. If you are going to be eating off the boat (esp. not in the direct port), I would recommend Hep A vax. I know there has been a measles outbreak in Haiti since the earthquake, but I do not know if it is in the main port or out rurally (like cholera).
I would not worry about anything for the cruise itself, just lots of handwashing (and I would bring hand sanitizer, even though I do not typically use it). I am a firm believer that frequent handwashing, and showering before you go to bed after being around a lot of people help keep the germs away.
So just look at your excursions & where they are going to take you, and either cover for the things you might encounter, or do not book excursions that will necessitate vaxing.
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
- › pregnancy announcements 4 minutes ago
- › The Saner TTC and Graduates -- Worm Moon 4 minutes ago
- › 2nd trimester- how are you feeling? 5 minutes ago
- › The person below me..... 53 minutes ago
- › Do you fart infront of your husband???? 54 minutes ago
- › Five Random things..... 57 minutes ago
- › Minecraft homeschool 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
- › Why Is Jenny McCarthy Dangerous? 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › 8 week Healthy Weight Loss Challenge version 14 (starts March 3,... 1 hour, 24 minutes ago
- › Word Association Conga Line 1 hour, 28 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness
- › Interview with Blair Lee, author by SavvyHomeschool
- › Mayim Bialik Opens Up About Her Breastfeeding... by Melanie Mayo
- › Freedom Together: Mothering Mavens Try Out... by Melanie Mayo
- › Magic Under the Table by BrainChild
- › So Precious It Hurts by Sheryl Paul
- › Is Your Child Ready to Read? A Checklist by Melanie Mayo