We haven't done any vaccinations for our DD (4 in Oct) since she was 4mo. We are going on a cruise in September with stops in Haiti, Mexico and Jamaica. DH is freaking out that she isn't vaccinated and wants to do some to prevent disease that he is worried she'll be exposed to on the ship and islands. Clearly I'm anti-vax and he is more pro (though willing to be selective and delay, obviously). I don't want to expose her to something that may actually kill her or cause irrevocable damage, but I don't want to suddenly jump on the vax ride, either. Help?
Related Forum Threads
- Need advice, research information, MMR and a 4.5 year old Last post on 3/12/14 at 7:19pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- Hereditary Spherocytosis and Vaccination Last post on 3/7/14 at 3:51pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- Vitamin A & MMR Last post on 3/3/14 at 6:40pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- Kids, 10+, what's important? Also: getting kids informed Last post on Today at 3:16 am in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- is there anything i should take to help son with vaccine? Last post on 2/7/14 at 8:22am in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
My Vaccine Info
Last edited: 3/4/13
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?Last edited: 12/26/13
- Vaccination BooklistLast edited: 6/27/11
- Selectively Vaccinating For International TravelLast edited: 6/27/11
- Vaccine Exemption Information for All 50 States In The USLast edited: 1/18/13
(Mostly) nonvaxed DD on caribbean cruise - DH is freaking outpost #1 of 37/27/12 at 8:45amThread Starterpost #2 of 37/27/12 at 10:10am
Does the cruise line recommend travel vaccines for passengers? Do you have a regular pediatrician you could discuss the trip plans with?
My thinking is kind of divided:
- This is a cruise. It doesn't sound like you're getting off the boat to do humanitarian work. Your DD will mostly be exposed to people also on the boat, which is to say, pretty much the same population as where you live now.
- This is, on the other hand, a cruise, and even if the population is largely vaccinated, food, water, etc. may be issues and perhaps some travel vaccines are indicated.
(The conflict between these two would have me consulting a pediatrician if I were in your shoes.)
- Things like norovirus and rotavirus can go absolutely nuts on cruise ships, and the rota vax is oral, and golly that might be worthwhile.post #3 of 38/2/12 at 1:13pm
If your child is 3 yrs now, they are too old for rota vax. I would say it depend on how much time you are going to spend off the boat at each location and what you are going to be doing. If you are going to be eating off the boat (esp. not in the direct port), I would recommend Hep A vax. I know there has been a measles outbreak in Haiti since the earthquake, but I do not know if it is in the main port or out rurally (like cholera).
I would not worry about anything for the cruise itself, just lots of handwashing (and I would bring hand sanitizer, even though I do not typically use it). I am a firm believer that frequent handwashing, and showering before you go to bed after being around a lot of people help keep the germs away.
So just look at your excursions & where they are going to take you, and either cover for the things you might encounter, or do not book excursions that will necessitate vaxing.
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
- › What's up with all these radio towers Southfield / Oak Park MI? 4 minutes ago
- › natural crayons and finger paints 5 minutes ago
- › Cloth Diapering 6 minutes ago
- › ~* November 2014 Roll Call *~ 7 minutes ago
- › Looking Bleak Now... 16 minutes ago
- › unsupportive dr, not sure where to go from here. 24 minutes ago
- › Single Mamas By Choice 29 minutes ago
- › Beautiful Educational Materials? 36 minutes ago
- › Crockpot meals on the cheap? 38 minutes ago
- › What pads are best for young girls? 39 minutes ago
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › Low Prep Art Projects for Kids by AmandaK
- › 8 Ways Natural Birth Helps With Breastfeeding by Sarah Clark
- › Probiotics and Your Little Ones by JenniO11
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild