- 1 Post. Joined 7/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Ultrasound and Autism, preterm labor and other birth defects Last post on 5/21/13 at 4:04pm in I'm Pregnant
- Goodbye to MDC, no longer a positive place Last post on 5/21/13 at 10:16am in Site help and feedback
- best type of preschool curriculum for my highly sensitive child Last post on 4/28/13 at 12:23pm in Learning at School
- I'm not sure where to post this Last post on 2/28/13 at 9:48am in Site help and feedback
How to set up a baby nursery?
I did not have much for just after baby was born, for a variety of reasons, and I found that anything I didnt have was easy to get.
Carrier (I had difficulty using wraps and slings successfully when she was itty bitty) or Stroller
Cradle or Bassinet (worked until 3 months old), knit cradle or bassinet sheets
Changing Table (I use an antique of furniture that I already own), Changing Pad and Cover
2 receiving/swaddle blankets
2 Gowns and 4-6 Newborn Footed and/or onesies
3 bottles (she was exclusively bottle nursed/fed), I ended up getting four more bottles after birth
bookshelf, chest of drawers, or somewhere to organize clothing and or cloth if CD
trash pale or wet bag for dirty diapers or cloth diapers
baby hangers for the closet if using a closet
Swing (I bought a gliding swing when she was three weeks old, soothed her to sleep with late night fussiness)
Rocker (got when she was 4 weeks old, I wish I had looked into this sooner because most took 10 weeks to order and I wanted it NOW)
-but honestly didnt truly NEED it, but I love rocking her)
Crib (I bought the crib and bedding at 2 months old)
Musical plush toy or some type of music was soothing (purchased at 2 months old)
Of course, now I feel like I have bought out BOTH Babies R Us and Buy Buy Baby, but at first we were quite comfortable with these items, and did not feel under prepared.
Edited by smiles2012 - 7/31/12 at 1:26pm
I wound up using my Pack n'Play until my baby girl learned to crawl out of it at age 2.5. Those things hold up really well. The bassinet attachment made the immediate post-partum recovery period much easier - no bending over to pick the baby up or put her down (big deal if you're recovering from a c-section). I cannot say enough good stuff about them. You want some sheets, because they're easier to clean then the PnP mattress.
For a newborn, I did fine with the PnP (with bassinet and baby changer attachment), and a comfortable chair for me. If I could get just one other item, it would be a dresser, low enough that I could put a changing pad on it and change the baby there, because they outgrow the PnP changing station pretty fast. I have, however, had a lot more luck finding changing tables at the Salvation Army - people hold on to their dressers - and those are okay too, although once the babe starts crawling, they're not as useful for storage.
I second the idea of somewhere bench-height to change baby. So much easier than bending over a low bed or getting up and down from the floor all the time.
Also, I mentioned the hoppy, but really a firm pillow will work just as well.
- How to set up a baby nursery?
- › Newbie here from South Bend, IN 54 seconds ago
- › "A Nation of Wimps" 2 minutes ago
- › First post-birth meal or snack 3 minutes ago
- › "I'm in labor!" thread - May 2013 DDC 3 minutes ago
- › What are you doing for Iron? 4 minutes ago
- › Overweight children - is it parental neglect? 10 minutes ago
- › ~*~October ddc Belly Thread~*~ 12 minutes ago
- › Pregnant and Scared 12 minutes ago
- › What do you do when your child bites? 14 minutes ago
- › Weekly Chat --May 20-26 14 minutes ago
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by casaDES
- › Lansinoh 20265 Disposable Nursing Pads, 60-pack by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by earobb
- › Medela Nightime Nursing Sleep Bra by earobb
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by earobb
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by earobb
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo