35 + 18 + 12 + 28 = 93 months so far - we've got another babe on the way!
Recent Images In This Thread
Parenting supplies mentioned in this thread:
- productBravado Nursing Bra Tanktagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/20/13
- categoryBreastfeedingtagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/20/13
- topicBreastfeeding Beyond Infancytagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/20/13
- topicBreastfeeding Challengestagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/20/13
- productLamaze Cotton Spandex Comfort Nursing Bratagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/20/13
- productMotherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bratagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/20/13
- productMy Brest Friend Breastfeeding Pillowtagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/20/13
- productSimplisse Manual Breastfeeding Companiontagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/20/13
Related Forum Threads
- Should I wean my 1 year old? Help! Last post on 8/21/13 at 8:42am in Breastfeeding
- Win Big in Our "Blog About Breastfeeding" Event! Last post on 8/8/13 at 6:36pm in Breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding While Traveling--share your pics! Last post on 6/18/13 at 4:00pm in Breastfeeding
- Low supply - What helped you? Last post on 2/1/14 at 8:46am in Breastfeeding Challenges
- New friend wants to take her kids out of the room when we nurse. What would you say? Last post on 3/13/14 at 5:07pm in Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy
Are You Breastfeeding an Older Child?
Last edited: 9/22/13
- 25 Children's Books That Depict BreastfeedingLast edited: 8/23/13
- Saying Good-bye to BreastfeedingLast edited: 8/15/13
- 100 Inspiring Breastfeeding Stories from Our "Blog about...Last edited: 8/8/13
- Join the Breastfeeding Revolution!Last edited: 8/6/13
How many TOTAL months have you breastfed? - Page 13post #241 of 3358/8/12 at 9:18ampost #242 of 3358/8/12 at 11:02amQuote:
I'm not sure how much milk I make now, but I pumped a quart a day when I went back to work (8 weeks to about 6 months). That would have been about 24 hours worth of milk, because I worked long shifts and he slept through the night.
The economic value I put on breastfeeding isn't related to the cost a milk bank would charge.
In the short term:
If it reduces their risk of ear infections, that's one less doctor visit.
If it reduces their overall risk of infection, there's another.
It fills their belly ($100 a month for the first year for formula ).
In the long term:
Diabetes costs a fortune. If nursing my children reduces their risk of diabetes for life, that would save a bundle (11k each, I'm not clear if that's lifetime or per year, I think it's per year but I'll calculate it as lifetime ).
If it reduces my risk of breast cancer (500k!) that's awesome, too.
So breastfeeding saved somewhere between $4800 (if they all would have been healthy anyway) and $1,050,600 (breast cancer x 2 moms, diabetes x 4 kids, 2 extra doctor visits per kid and a year of formula per kid).post #243 of 3358/8/12 at 12:47pmpost #244 of 3358/8/12 at 2:03pmpost #245 of 3358/8/12 at 2:24pmpost #246 of 3358/8/12 at 2:36pmpost #247 of 3358/8/12 at 2:54pmpost #248 of 3358/8/12 at 2:54pmpost #249 of 3358/8/12 at 3:46pmThread Starterpost #250 of 3358/8/12 at 8:21pmpost #251 of 3358/8/12 at 9:30pmpost #252 of 3358/9/12 at 1:17pmpost #253 of 3358/9/12 at 3:38pmpost #254 of 3358/9/12 at 6:48pmpost #255 of 3358/9/12 at 7:59pmpost #256 of 3358/9/12 at 11:30pm
66 months and counting. I anticipate a total of 98 months by the time I'm done (3yo kid). I've got 4 kids.. Combination of breastfeeding/tandem feeding/pumping and nursing through pregnancy. Not bad for a size A cup!
Holy crap that will be 8.1 years worth by the time I'm done.
(Edited because I miscalculated.)
Edited by LoveOurBabies - 8/10/12 at 12:16pmpost #257 of 3358/10/12 at 1:21pmpost #258 of 3358/10/12 at 2:38pmpost #259 of 3358/10/12 at 9:44pmpost #260 of 3358/11/12 at 11:38am
Amazing. For the record I think those who pump exclusively should be able to multiply by at least two, I can't imagine. There should be some agreed upon multiplier for all you other moms who tandem or pump part time. Hat's off to you all.
I thought I was done with my last girl as I think we may have thrush, or I am just having a hard time healing from a pretty good bite--but when I added up the months I am at 64 after four kids and it doesn't seem like such a long time reading some of the past posts. This is the the kind of post I needed to struggle through, thank you mamas!
Baby 1 12 months (needed a breast biopsy-it was benign)
Baby 2 15 months Failure to thrive because he was allergic to all milk, and I got absolutely no support on that one
Baby 3 26 months Nursing caused the bleeding I was having while pregnant to be much, much worse
Baby 4 12 months and counting, but was seriously considering quitting just now
- 25 Children's Books That Depict Breastfeeding
- › Coping with husband not wanting more children 16 minutes ago
- › Devastated over husband not wanting more children. 24 minutes ago
- › Has anyone had revision surgery on a perineal tear? 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › DH makes weird statements about food when I try to discuss our food... 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
- › Midwives in CT (again...) 1 hour, 12 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread~*~ March 2014 1 hour, 36 minutes ago
- › What healthy meals have you eaten today? 1 hour, 38 minutes ago
- › Third Trimester! 1 hour, 47 minutes ago
- › organizing before baby comes... 1 hour, 54 minutes ago
- › I want to rebuild my cloth diaper stash from the ground up with... 2 hours ago
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › Low Prep Art Projects for Kids by AmandaK
- › 8 Ways Natural Birth Helps With Breastfeeding by Sarah Clark
- › Probiotics and Your Little Ones by JenniO11
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild