35 + 18 + 12 + 28 = 93 months so far - we've got another babe on the way!
Recent Images In This Thread
Parenting supplies mentioned in this thread:
- productBravado Nursing Bra Tanktagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/20/13
- categoryBreastfeedingtagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/20/13
- topicBreastfeeding Beyond Infancytagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/20/13
- topicBreastfeeding Challengestagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/20/13
- productLamaze Cotton Spandex Comfort Nursing Bratagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/20/13
- productMotherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bratagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/20/13
- productMy Brest Friend Breastfeeding Pillowtagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/20/13
- productSimplisse Manual Breastfeeding Companiontagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/20/13
Related Forum Threads
- Should I wean my 1 year old? Help! Last post on 8/21/13 at 8:42am in Breastfeeding
- Win Big in Our "Blog About Breastfeeding" Event! Last post on 8/8/13 at 6:36pm in Breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding While Traveling--share your pics! Last post on 6/18/13 at 4:00pm in Breastfeeding
- Low supply - What helped you? Last post on Today at 6:27 pm in Breastfeeding Challenges
- New friend wants to take her kids out of the room when we nurse. What would you say? Last post on Today at 3:03 pm in Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy
Are You Breastfeeding an Older Child?
Last edited: 9/22/13
- 25 Children's Books That Depict BreastfeedingLast edited: 8/23/13
- Saying Good-bye to BreastfeedingLast edited: 8/15/13
- 100 Inspiring Breastfeeding Stories from Our "Blog about...Last edited: 8/8/13
- Join the Breastfeeding Revolution!Last edited: 8/6/13
How many TOTAL months have you breastfed? - Page 13post #241 of 3358/8/12 at 9:18ampost #242 of 3358/8/12 at 11:02amQuote:
I'm not sure how much milk I make now, but I pumped a quart a day when I went back to work (8 weeks to about 6 months). That would have been about 24 hours worth of milk, because I worked long shifts and he slept through the night.
The economic value I put on breastfeeding isn't related to the cost a milk bank would charge.
In the short term:
If it reduces their risk of ear infections, that's one less doctor visit.
If it reduces their overall risk of infection, there's another.
It fills their belly ($100 a month for the first year for formula ).
In the long term:
Diabetes costs a fortune. If nursing my children reduces their risk of diabetes for life, that would save a bundle (11k each, I'm not clear if that's lifetime or per year, I think it's per year but I'll calculate it as lifetime ).
If it reduces my risk of breast cancer (500k!) that's awesome, too.
So breastfeeding saved somewhere between $4800 (if they all would have been healthy anyway) and $1,050,600 (breast cancer x 2 moms, diabetes x 4 kids, 2 extra doctor visits per kid and a year of formula per kid).post #243 of 3358/8/12 at 12:47pmpost #244 of 3358/8/12 at 2:03pmpost #245 of 3358/8/12 at 2:24pmpost #246 of 3358/8/12 at 2:36pmpost #247 of 3358/8/12 at 2:54pmpost #248 of 3358/8/12 at 2:54pmpost #249 of 3358/8/12 at 3:46pmThread Starterpost #250 of 3358/8/12 at 8:21pmpost #251 of 3358/8/12 at 9:30pmpost #252 of 3358/9/12 at 1:17pmpost #253 of 3358/9/12 at 3:38pmpost #254 of 3358/9/12 at 6:48pmpost #255 of 3358/9/12 at 7:59pmpost #256 of 3358/9/12 at 11:30pm
66 months and counting. I anticipate a total of 98 months by the time I'm done (3yo kid). I've got 4 kids.. Combination of breastfeeding/tandem feeding/pumping and nursing through pregnancy. Not bad for a size A cup!
Holy crap that will be 8.1 years worth by the time I'm done.
(Edited because I miscalculated.)
Edited by LoveOurBabies - 8/10/12 at 12:16pmpost #257 of 3358/10/12 at 1:21pmpost #258 of 3358/10/12 at 2:38pmpost #259 of 3358/10/12 at 9:44pmpost #260 of 3358/11/12 at 11:38am
Amazing. For the record I think those who pump exclusively should be able to multiply by at least two, I can't imagine. There should be some agreed upon multiplier for all you other moms who tandem or pump part time. Hat's off to you all.
I thought I was done with my last girl as I think we may have thrush, or I am just having a hard time healing from a pretty good bite--but when I added up the months I am at 64 after four kids and it doesn't seem like such a long time reading some of the past posts. This is the the kind of post I needed to struggle through, thank you mamas!
Baby 1 12 months (needed a breast biopsy-it was benign)
Baby 2 15 months Failure to thrive because he was allergic to all milk, and I got absolutely no support on that one
Baby 3 26 months Nursing caused the bleeding I was having while pregnant to be much, much worse
Baby 4 12 months and counting, but was seriously considering quitting just now
- 25 Children's Books That Depict Breastfeeding
- › Is patting to sleep CIO? 9 seconds ago
- › How to tell the boss 1 minute ago
- › Generic progesterone vs. Prometrium 7 minutes ago
- › December Spend-Less Challenge: Let's Fill Our Stockings with... 14 minutes ago
- › Scary bleed! 18 minutes ago
- › NT Exam - Gender predicted at 12.5 weeks? 19 minutes ago
- › July's Jubilantly Jovial DDC Roster 37 minutes ago
- › Nursing Moms 43 minutes ago
- › competing priorities (venting) 43 minutes ago
- › Baby cries/screams while ECing, but only for poo! 46 minutes ago
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › Polar Express by Melanie Mayo
- › The Return of the Light: Twelve Tales from Around the World for the... by Terry Stafford
- › The Shortest Day: Celebrating the Winter Solstice by Terry Stafford
- › The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative by Fembot
- › The Snow Queen by Astraia
- › The Snowy Day by janonia
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Should You Care About the Photo of Gisele... by Brian Leaf
- › Christmas Through Their Eyes by AmandaK
- › 6 Mistakes People Make When a Friend's... by momofnatasha
- › Hyland's Holiday Challenge Mothering... by JenniO11
- › Lead in Christmas Lights, Toxic Decorations... by Amy Serotkin
- › Can Attachment Parents Put Their Own... by KidsInTheHouse
- › Phases of a Nursling by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Holiday Books Giveaway Rules by Melanie Mayo
- › Developmental Milestones to Marvel At by Monica S
- › 15 Fun and Enchanting Holiday Tales for Children by Melanie Mayo