- 1 Post. Joined 8/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Ultrasound and Autism, preterm labor and other birth defects Last post on 5/21/13 at 4:04pm in I'm Pregnant
- Goodbye to MDC, no longer a positive place Last post on 6/10/13 at 5:06am in Site help and feedback
- best type of preschool curriculum for my highly sensitive child Last post on 4/28/13 at 12:23pm in Learning at School
- I'm not sure where to post this Last post on 2/28/13 at 9:48am in Site help and feedback
I am currently 30 wks 4days pregnant my baby is 3 lbs 11oz is too big and what can possibly...
Late ultrasound measurements are notoriously off with weight estimates, and you have a while to go yet. You could easily have an average sized baby (I'd call average healthy sizes 6-10 lbs). A baby that ends up very very large (over 11 lbs) can present some extra challenges, making labor take longer or the pushing stage more difficult if the baby's positioning isn't ideal also (check out spinningbabies.com about that). A drug free labor and freedom to get in upright positions makes it easier no matter the size. If you don't want a c section, be firm about doing a trial of labor even if baby is large and try to minimize interventions that might lead to one (pitocin, pain meds, doctor breaking the water), and consider hiring a doula to help you in labor. Also watch out for any signs of gestational diabetes, don't overeat sugars or refined carbs whether you have that or not. Don't restrict your eating though, get lotsa protein and healthy foods as you like.
Edited by JamieCatheryn - 8/3/12 at 8:08am
Your baby isn't actually 3 lbs. 11 oz. That is just what your baby is estimated at - and those estimates can be way off. My babies were both preemies and I had ultrasounds within 2 days of their births. Both were born about 20% less than what they had been estimated to weigh.
Don't worry about it, really. It's not an exact science, and it's not something that you need to do anything about.
It's normal for 3rd trimester ultrasounds to be off by 2 lbs or more. Really, they're just guesstimates (heavy on the GUESS). Two friends of mine were repeatedly told they were having big babies, and one baby weighed just under 8 lbs at birth, and the other just over 8 lbs. You don't need to do anything, except not worry about it!
I'd like to move your post to our I'm Pregnant forum but wanted to hear back from you first. How are you feeling? Have these answers reassured you?
- › Reasons for not vaccinating children? 45 seconds ago
- › Taking the Scenic Route to a BFP - Sping/Summer 2013 4 minutes ago
- › The epic Yeast/BV/GBS/Candida Vagina thread 5 minutes ago
- › ~Expecting a Rainbow June 2014~ 6 minutes ago
- › Names? 7 minutes ago
- › Braxton Hicks 8 minutes ago
- › Official bead sign up thread. :) 10 minutes ago
- › (tmi) Spotting with pooping? 11 minutes ago
- › Symptoms 12 minutes ago
- › Introduce yourself! 13 minutes ago
- › Bug Band Insect Repellent Wristbands - Blue by MinneapolisMama
- › Burt's Bees Baby Bee SPF 30 Sunscreen Stick, 0.7 Ounce by lamjenifer
- › Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Baby Head-to-Toe Wash & Shampoo -... by glassesgirlnj
- › Aveeno Cleansing baby shampoo by fayebond
- › Aveeno Soothing Oat Baby Wash by fayebond
- › Earth Mama Body Butter - 8oz by fayebond
- › Maclaren Beginning Travel Kit for Mother by fayebond
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by lightbulb
- › Natural Bug Blend Bug Repellent Spray by fayebond
- › Do Naturals Just Berry Shampoo and Conditioner by fayebond
- › Ouch! How Homeopathy Can Help With Those... by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathic Help for Post-Partum Mothers: a... by Melanie Mayo
- › Adding the Second Child by Sarah Clark
- › 5 Steps for Managing Stress and Anxiety by Melanie Mayo
- › What Marketers Don't Understand About... by Melanie Mayo
- › For the Dads by Rachel Wolf
- › What Happened When This Bereaved Mom Sought A... by momofnatasha
- › More About Soothing Small Tummies from... by Melanie Mayo
- › Get Ready To Read By Playing by Melanie Mayo
- › "Do You Trust Me?" by SantoshaMama