- 1 Post. Joined 8/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Ultrasound and Autism, preterm labor and other birth defects Last post on Yesterday at 4:04 pm in I'm Pregnant
- Goodbye to MDC, no longer a positive place Last post on Yesterday at 10:16 am in Site help and feedback
- best type of preschool curriculum for my highly sensitive child Last post on 4/28/13 at 12:23pm in Learning at School
- I'm not sure where to post this Last post on 2/28/13 at 9:48am in Site help and feedback
I am currently 30 wks 4days pregnant my baby is 3 lbs 11oz is too big and what can possibly...
Late ultrasound measurements are notoriously off with weight estimates, and you have a while to go yet. You could easily have an average sized baby (I'd call average healthy sizes 6-10 lbs). A baby that ends up very very large (over 11 lbs) can present some extra challenges, making labor take longer or the pushing stage more difficult if the baby's positioning isn't ideal also (check out spinningbabies.com about that). A drug free labor and freedom to get in upright positions makes it easier no matter the size. If you don't want a c section, be firm about doing a trial of labor even if baby is large and try to minimize interventions that might lead to one (pitocin, pain meds, doctor breaking the water), and consider hiring a doula to help you in labor. Also watch out for any signs of gestational diabetes, don't overeat sugars or refined carbs whether you have that or not. Don't restrict your eating though, get lotsa protein and healthy foods as you like.
Edited by JamieCatheryn - 8/3/12 at 8:08am
Your baby isn't actually 3 lbs. 11 oz. That is just what your baby is estimated at - and those estimates can be way off. My babies were both preemies and I had ultrasounds within 2 days of their births. Both were born about 20% less than what they had been estimated to weigh.
Don't worry about it, really. It's not an exact science, and it's not something that you need to do anything about.
It's normal for 3rd trimester ultrasounds to be off by 2 lbs or more. Really, they're just guesstimates (heavy on the GUESS). Two friends of mine were repeatedly told they were having big babies, and one baby weighed just under 8 lbs at birth, and the other just over 8 lbs. You don't need to do anything, except not worry about it!
I'd like to move your post to our I'm Pregnant forum but wanted to hear back from you first. How are you feeling? Have these answers reassured you?
- I am currently 30 wks 4days pregnant my baby is 3 lbs 11oz is too big and what can possibly happen during birth? Also my due date is correct ...
- › Caring for Older Kids 1 minute ago
- › Carrier addiction- fun thread! 1 minute ago
- › Lump in groin/lymph area? 2 minutes ago
- › how is everyone feeling? 4 minutes ago
- › ~Weekly Chat Thread for May 17th-May 23~ 6 minutes ago
- › Do Cesareans limit your family size? 6 minutes ago
- › PDX Fluoride Vote! 6 minutes ago
- › Feedback regarding a midwife in SE Michigan 9 minutes ago
- › Signs of Impending Labor - chat thread 13 minutes ago
- › The Belly Thread! 13 minutes ago
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Lansinoh 20435 Breastmilk Storage Bags, 25-Count Boxes (Pack of 3) by KaliShanti
- › Medela Pump and Save Storage Bags- 20-count by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by KaliShanti
- › Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT BPA Free Natural Polypropylene Bottles by KaliShanti
- › Gilligan & O'Malley® Womens Full Sling Long Nursing Tank by KaliShanti
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo