After a hellish week of an apparent G.I. bug (vomiting, diarrhea, chills, fever), I finally gave up on waiting it out and trying to rehydrate on my own (which is what my very-naturopathic midwife-team recommended) and at my appointment today, I had to give urine for testing. I was alarmed to see it was a deep orange-brown color, almost red-brown, and I could only produce the tiniest amount. I didn't realize quite how bad I'd gotten because diluted in the toilet, it definitely does not look THAT bad. Turns out the horrible, horrible pain in my back is related to what they believe is a very advanced UTI and my midwife had to check with the head midwife to make sure she was allowed not to hospitalize me.
I was told I won't be "risked out" or transferred to the hospital as long as I take a full, 10 day course of antibiotics and my fever stays down.
Now, sitting at home with my Phenergan suppositories and my Macrobid...I was reading the Macrobid pamphlet and it is contraindicated to women in weeks 38-42 of pregnancy as it can cause hemolytic anemia. The thing is...my midwives, despite the fact that they prescribed me two medications today, are VERY slow to prescribe, never pushed medication before now and to be honest? This week has been hell. My back pain (specifically, in two spots only, right over the kidneys) has been so bad, I wake up every couple of hours, I'm still super-dehydrated and I KNOW I need antibiotics...but I'm more than a little nervous about taking something that says I shouldn't be taking it at the risk of hurting my baby.
I don't want to not start tonight, because I don't want to put my body at any more risk than it already is and I'm stranded at home, without a phone, until 6 a.m. when DH gets home from work. At the same time, I'm obviously concerned and can't find anything online about the actual percentages/statistics of the risks and I can't see why my very conscientious midwife would prescribe me something she didn't think was the best/safest thing in my situation.