or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › First World Problems.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First World Problems. - Page 5

post #81 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poddi View Post

Well I grew up in a poor country and know how to do all sorts of stuff,  DH grew up on a farm (with frugal parents) and is the first-born son.  We're now both lazy and non-handy. :) Experiences are good, at least they give you knowledge if you need it, but they don't really change who you are inside.  We're just not farm type, even though I know how to manage chicken and he used to help raise pigs.  We wouldn't mind never taking care of an animal again.

 

Lol! This is reassuring!  My mom was very crafty and talented and always had some sort of project going on- sewing, knitting, crocheting, gardening, making yogurt, drying and canning foods, wallpapering and painting, re-finishing furniture, re tiling the bathrooms, reupholstering the furniture  (on top of the laundry, bills, shopping and cooking).  She was an amazing woman!! It was seriously only a few years ago that I realized that it's really quite alright that I haven't upholstered anything yet.  That it's ok I have no interest in upholstering or refinishing furniture at all. It's not some sort of necessary step to being a real adult.  That most people, even the handy ones, don't reupholster and refinish their furniture themselves. It's just something my mom liked doing. 

 

Keeping this on topic, I'm so looking forward to moving to a smaller home.  The rest of the world could fit a whole other family in the square footage of this house. We don't need this much, it's just square footage to clean and maintain.

post #82 of 123
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

 

Lol! This is reassuring!  My mom was very crafty and talented and always had some sort of project going on- sewing, knitting, crocheting, gardening, making yogurt, drying and canning foods, wallpapering and painting, re-finishing furniture, re tiling the bathrooms, reupholstering the furniture  (on top of the laundry, bills, shopping and cooking).  She was an amazing woman!! It was seriously only a few years ago that I realized that it's really quite alright that I haven't upholstered anything yet.  That it's ok I have no interest in upholstering or refinishing furniture at all. It's not some sort of necessary step to being a real adult.  That most people, even the handy ones, don't reupholster and refinish their furniture themselves. It's just something my mom liked doing. 

 

Keeping this on topic, I'm so looking forward to moving to a smaller home.  The rest of the world could fit a whole other family in the square footage of this house. We don't need this much, it's just square footage to clean and maintain.

Can we trade places?  As much as I tout about small-space living (one-bedroom apartment), it really isn't cutting it for us right now.  Would love an extra room!

post #83 of 123

Lately I have been more and more annoyed by all the nice hand-me-downs my girls get from my nieces.  I feel like there are too many clothes because my SIL buys in outfits (and a lot of them!) instead of pieces that can mix and match and be layered.  I want to get rid of most of the hand-me-downs because they aren't what I would choose and start from scratch. violin.gif

 

I can't stop eating these chips and salsa in front of me but i should so I have plenty of room for going out to sushi tonight. 

post #84 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poddi View Post

Well I grew up in a poor country and know how to do all sorts of stuff,  DH grew up on a farm (with frugal parents) and is the first-born son.  We're now both lazy and non-handy. smile.gif Experiences are good, at least they give you knowledge if you need it, but they don't really change who you are inside.  We're just not farm type, even though I know how to manage chicken and he used to help raise pigs.  We wouldn't mind never taking care of an animal again.

Lol! This is reassuring!  My mom was very crafty and talented and always had some sort of project going on- sewing, knitting, crocheting, gardening, making yogurt, drying and canning foods, wallpapering and painting, re-finishing furniture, re tiling the bathrooms, reupholstering the furniture  (on top of the laundry, bills, shopping and cooking).  She was an amazing woman!! It was seriously only a few years ago that I realized that it's really quite alright that I haven't upholstered anything yet.  That it's ok I have no interest in upholstering or refinishing furniture at all. It's not some sort of necessary step to being a real adult.  That most people, even the handy ones, don't reupholster and refinish their furniture themselves. It's just something my mom liked doing. 

Keeping this on topic, I'm so looking forward to moving to a smaller home.  The rest of the world could fit a whole other family in the square footage of this house. We don't need this much, it's just square footage to clean and maintain.

My mom is the same way! She's also a busy body and always moving whereas I love to curl up with a good book for the rest of the afternoon. She also had my brother and me at 21 and 22 and took us everywhere. I keep reminding myself that there's a big difference between 22 and 28, I was very busy and barely needed sleep at 22 so me not being as busy and feel the energy to take DD all over everywhere is okay.

I also am looking forward to downsizing, less space to clean and we just don't need the room.
post #85 of 123

Another first world problem cropped up today.  My children were playing on the Wii and apparently did not use the wristband.  Well, the TV is now broken.  So, do we need the TV.  No, we don't even pay for cable.  But, dang, we do like to play the Wii during the winter months.  Rarely gets used when the weather is warm.  Now we are trying to decide if we should (or rather, will) replace it.  

 

Amy

post #86 of 123
Wow, has it really been almost a year since the last post? Time flies!

Anyway, I thought of this thread the other night because I scored amazing second-row theater seats, and I got a kink in my neck from having to look up at the actors that were like 15 feet away from me -- heh.
post #87 of 123

Good one, limabean!

 

I was complaining yesterday that I had to take three trips out in my car before 9am some days - to exercise class, then to deliver 2 kids to 2 schools.

 

Well...

 

a) I have a car. A nice car! It's almost new (2012), and we just got it. In contrast to the old one - the heater works really well, the doors don't freeze, the windshield isn't chipped, the door handle isn't broken, it doesn't need new tires, shocks, etc.

b) My kids' schools are great, and they are healthy and doing well, and I have the resources to drive them to school instead of walking a mile in the snow and windchill, even though we could because

c) we have warm coats.

d) I am fortunate enough to have a fitness club membership to a wonderful place owned by a local mom.

 

Feeling much more grateful!

post #88 of 123

I've been irritated about tending the fire in the wood stove.  It's like a toddler:  make sure I'm aware of its cues, is it too hot, too cold, does it need fuel, am I leaving and need to damp it down so it's all right while I'm gone?  Well, no, I never had a toddler who could just be damped down and left, but the vigilance required has really been getting on my nerves.  So I am complaining about:

 

Being indoors, for one thing!

A wood stove that's safe, modern, and efficient.

It's in a gorgeous tiled hearth / wood box set-up that DH built himself and is a centerpiece of our home (the hearth, not DH, though he's a nice feature too!).

A couch is right in front of it, and right nearby is a big pile of my books.

I have the flexibility during my day to do just the kind of tending needed.

 

In short, my "First World Problem" is fire.

post #89 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMadly View Post
 

I've been irritated about tending the fire in the wood stove.  It's like a toddler:  make sure I'm aware of its cues, is it too hot, too cold, does it need fuel, am I leaving and need to damp it down so it's all right while I'm gone?  Well, no, I never had a toddler who could just be damped down and left, but the vigilance required has really been getting on my nerves.  So I am complaining about:

 

Being indoors, for one thing!

A wood stove that's safe, modern, and efficient.

It's in a gorgeous tiled hearth / wood box set-up that DH built himself and is a centerpiece of our home (the hearth, not DH, though he's a nice feature too!).

A couch is right in front of it, and right nearby is a big pile of my books.

I have the flexibility during my day to do just the kind of tending needed.

 

In short, my "First World Problem" is fire.

 

Hehe, that made me giggle. 

 

Mine right now is being annoyed at the sound of my husband's video game. So my complaint is that we have the money to afford such things, have the time to use them, and my husband has something that he enjoys doing. All while I'm sitting on my butt on a comfy couch mindlessly internetting. ;-) Totally a FWP. 

post #90 of 123
My recent FWP is that our Xmas tree dried out super fast. We got it on Dec 1st and despite plenty of water, all the needles were faded and dry a week later. But, yeah, we had $60 to spend on a dead tree to decorate our living room for a month. And I suspect it dried out so quickly because our living is so warm. Good reality check- time to stop complaining about the damn tree and enjoy the season!

Ironically, in two weeks we leave for a month long trip the "third world" - DH's home country. It always kicks my FWP in the ass to see true poverty- children begging in the streets, people living in cardboard shacks, painfully thin dogs scrounging for scraps in the trash. I try to carry those images with me so that I don't get too caught up in the melodramas of my insanely privileged, comfortable life. But I also realize that the price of our airplane tickets down there could feed a family for at least a year. Head spins, heart aches....
post #91 of 123
One time I saved 18k and was talking with a poor old friend about how I didn't know what to do with all the money. She pointed out that it was definitely a good problem to have, and I realized I was being a bit if a turd not realizing I shouldn't be complaining about such a thing.

That money is all spent, these days my FWPs are mostly food related, like someone else said where I have lots of food but none of it is quite what I want.
post #92 of 123
The seat heaters in my car don't heat fast enough.

We're out of the $25 tub of coconut oil.

Can't decide when we should go to Hawaii.
post #93 of 123
Dalia, that last one made me laugh!
My complaint today is that I'm having pumpkin pie for lunch. DH brought it home for me from his work party and I hate to see it go to waste so I'm forcing myself to eat it.
post #94 of 123
I have a car with a "keyless" ignition, meaning the key just has to be on or near you in order for the car to start (WTF? Putting key into ignition = too much work???) I am ALWAYS losing that stupid key, but it's usually somewhere on me because the car still starts LOL. I know, RIDICULOUS!!

Also, once when we were in Canada my husband got in the car and took off his jacket thinking it would be warm enough inside the car. Then he started to shiver and yelled, "Premature E-jacket-ulation!!!" How is that for a first world problem? LMAO
post #95 of 123
I have a keyless start too and I swear when I have to take dh's car I find using a key to start the car to be the most inconvenient and ridiculous thing EVER. What is this, 1934?? Dh will say "give me your key" and I'm always like "it lives in the bottom of my purse, good luck finding it!"
post #96 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post

I have a keyless start too and I swear when I have to take dh's car I find using a key to start the car to be the most inconvenient and ridiculous thing EVER. What is this, 1934?? Dh will say "give me your key" and I'm always like "it lives in the bottom of my purse, good luck finding it!"

Lol! I've gotten so spoiled by the ease of looking up word definitions on my e-reader (just touch a word and the definition pops up) that I've found myself reaching out to touch words in a paper book. redface.gif

Also, from being spoiled by my DVR, I've found myself reaching out to rewind the radio when I want to hear something again! And at my mom's house, where there is no DVR, my kids are completely baffled by the fact that we can't pause or rewind TV. My mom jokes that it's still the dark ages at her house. lol.gif
post #97 of 123
Had a snow storm but didn't go out to buy more food cause I need to be forced to eat through my refrigerator. Starting to ration "cow milk", DS's favorite. Have plenty of soy, almond, etc milk.
post #98 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

I have a car with a "keyless" ignition, meaning the key just has to be on or near you in order for the car to start (WTF? Putting key into ignition = too much work???) I am ALWAYS losing that stupid key, but it's usually somewhere on me because the car still starts LOL. I know, RIDICULOUS!!
 

I also have keyless ignition and do not like it.  The car is smarter than me!  I have the keys in my pocket and often do not realize a second set is somewhere in the car (in a cupholder, bag, etc.).  When I get out at my destination, I try to lock the doors and the car beeps at me...letting me know there is a second set somewhere in the car.  Then the kids and I search the car looking for the second set; sometimes we give up and leave the car unlocked.

 

One time I pulled into the driveway, I hopped out with the car running and my husband hopped in and drove ~15 miles to Home Depot with my son. (The keys were in my coat pocket.)  When they arrived he notices a warning on the dash that there were no keys in the car.  He was afraid to turn off the car because he would not be able to restart it.  So he left it running while he ran into the store quickly.

post #99 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerMomma View Post

Had a snow storm but didn't go out to buy more food cause I need to be forced to eat through my refrigerator. Starting to ration "cow milk", DS's favorite. Have plenty of soy, almond, etc milk.


I am also using the snow storm and extreme cold as a reason to use up items in our pantry and freezers.    The roads were only closed for a day but I am pretending they are still closed and staying home!

post #100 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Lol! I've gotten so spoiled by the ease of looking up word definitions on my e-reader (just touch a word and the definition pops up) that I've found myself reaching out to touch words in a paper book. redface.gif

 

Yes, me too! I feel like a lazy reader when I've got a paper book, because I don't whip out the dictionary every time I'm not sure of a meaning! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Talk Amongst Ourselves
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › First World Problems.