or Connect
Mothering › Groups › April 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › Pregnancy tips and tricks

Pregnancy tips and tricks

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 

Let's have a designated place to share what's working for us as far as suppressing ms and whatnot.

 

 


 

So far I have found that putting a couple small drops of spearmint essentials oil on my pillow at night keeps the queasiness away and helps me sleep soundly. It's a pleasant smell and it even gets in my hair a bit so I get hints of it until I shower for the day. 

 

Another life saver has been sweet potatoes. I'm currently doing a Whole30 (http://whole9life.com/category/whole-30/) and even with my slight MS I've been able to stay on track. I have had moments where it's gotten hairy and I have saved myself by making some sweet potato fries and homemade paleo mayo. Within minutes of eating them I feel alive again. 

 


 

What's helping you?

post #2 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIFF4NY View Post

Let's have a designated place to share what's working for us as far as suppressing ms and whatnot.

 

 


 

So far I have found that putting a couple small drops of spearmint essentials oil on my pillow at night keeps the queasiness away and helps me sleep soundly. It's a pleasant smell and it even gets in my hair a bit so I get hints of it until I shower for the day. 

 

Another life saver has been sweet potatoes. I'm currently doing a Whole30 (http://whole9life.com/category/whole-30/) and even with my slight MS I've been able to stay on track. I have had moments where it's gotten hairy and I have saved myself by making some sweet potato fries and homemade paleo mayo. Within minutes of eating them I feel alive again. 

 


 

What's helping you?


I like the spearmint oil idea! Peppermint tea has definitely helped settle my stomach. This morning, DF got up with DD and I slept in for an hour. That was a mistake! My stomach was too empty and I was dry heaving in the bathroom. I felt better as soon as I had some breakfast (yogurt, granola, and blueberries.) Ginger mints from Whole Foods have been a lifesaver when I can't wait for tea to brew. Eating regularly seems to be the most important thing, but I'm nauseous a lot of the time, anyway. Maybe I'll try some spearmint oil!

post #3 of 37

Eating something in bed before my feet hit the ground has saved me for all three pregnancies and taken me from "incapacitated" to "semi-functional."
 

post #4 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn_warbler View Post

Eating something in bed before my feet hit the ground has saved me for all three pregnancies and taken me from "incapacitated" to "semi-functional."
 

What a great idea! I'm gonna try it! Thanks! :-)

post #5 of 37
Mmm sweet potatoe fries! I gotta try that!
post #6 of 37

Thanks for the craving...now dh is going to have a make a stop on his way home.  I must have yam fries...MMMMMMmmmmm

With #4 all I could eat when I had m/s was miso soup and yam roll.  LOL

post #7 of 37

My midwife suggested B6 and unisom. I went from being completely incapacitated, unable to care for my kids, and feeling rather depressed about how I'd survive the next 6 weeks, to being completely functional, eating whatever, and having m/s being a total thing of the past.  It completely wiped it away within a few days. just incredible. I know some may prefer more natural routes, but it's really saved my life this time around.  I take 50mg twice a day of B6, and half a unisom at night. 

The only tradeoff is occasional headaches, but I'll gladly take it!

post #8 of 37

I have a theory that I may or may not get to test. I got up early this morning for a job interview and I was nauseous as soon as I got out of bed. It hasn't lessened with eating and I just feel yucky. My theory is, waking up before I naturally would causes worse m/s. Anybody else notice this at all? I'm 7w3d.

post #9 of 37

I haven't actually thrown up, but my nausea is in full swing. I've been eating plain, bland foods and deep breathing exercises. Hasn't completely helped, but I'm just thankful that as of right now, I don't have the horrid ms I had with DS.

post #10 of 37
Thread Starter 

So now instead of putting the spearmint oil on my pillow I just take the lid off and have a whiff when I'm feeling nauseas and instantly feel better. I found putting it on the pillow became too much after a bit so this is a good alternative. Also, protein and fats are saving my life! Forget the carbs! They are making it worse.

 

 

Also, funny note about yam/sweet potato fries. I would NOT touch them before I became pregnant with DD. But all of a sudden that changed when I was pregnant with her and now I get them every chance I can. Love love love them. They are so much better for us than white potatoes too.

post #11 of 37

Before I got pregnant, the smell of prenatal vitamins disgusted me. 

Would you believe that I like the way that they taste now?! 

BUT I can't find ANY relief for feel-yucky-all-day sickness. I don't throw up. I just feel TERRIBLE. 

post #12 of 37

I'm feeling the same way and haven't found relief either. :( Did make sweet potato fries the other day though. So yummy!!
 

post #13 of 37

Ooh, I have a bag of sweet potatoes in the cupboard.  I should make those tomorrow.

 

Eating an egg before I go to bed and an egg when I wake up has been a life saver.

 

Peppermint sounds great.  I have mint growing on my porch... ooh!

post #14 of 37

As a doula, the one thing I never leave home without is a bottle of peppermint oil to stave off queasiness. We even take it into the operating room (when allowed in) since so many mamas get sick during c/s's. You don't even have to do anything besides open the bottle and take a deep breath or two. Works like a charm.

 

Peppermint is also nice as a tea - if you have it growing already, just crush a small handful of leaves and put them in a cup then poor boiling water over it. It's naturally a little bit sweet and super mild since there isn't any real "tea" in it. Tastes great cold too.

post #15 of 37
Just wanted to throw out there that not all essential oils are good to use for children, while pregnant, or while nursing.  Some essential oils contain keytones, which are a neurotoxin that can penetrate the blood-brain barrier more easily than other molecules.   While peppermint has a relatively low keytone content, it should still be used with caution with small children.  I personally try to avoid it while pregnant/nursing.  In small doses the risk may be low, but if you are using it for regular relief of ms symptoms, or putting it on your pillow at night.....?
 
I happen to be borrowing my friend's copy of Advanced Aromatherapy by Kurt Schnaubelt, Ph.D. and it states: "Experience suggests that, as with any oils containing keytones, sage oil should not be used by children or pregnant or nursing women."
Just some food for thought.  If you are concerned, talk to your mw or care provider before using essential oils or herbs while pregnant.  thumb.gif
post #16 of 37
I could. Not. "fill the hole" in my belly today. I was feeling yuck and needed to do some kitchen stuff- getting stuff in the freezer from the fridge... I made tomato soup earlier in the week and had a big container of chicken stock ready to skim and freeze. That stock smelled sooooooo goood. I commented to dh that this batch of stock smelled particularly good.... He suggested I might be needing the minerals in it... So I heated some up and have it in a mug. Instant satisfaction.

I make my stock in the crockpot! I get chicken backs from my butcher who sells Amish grown chickens, fill the pot 1/2 way with backs, add whatever random veg (carrot, onion, bell pepper and garlic was this batch) and then fill the pot with water. Add a splash of ACV, cook on low overnight and through the day.
I strain it and cool in fridge, skim fat and pour into muffin tins. I freeze in the tins then pop them out like old school ice
Cube trays (run under warm water) and store in a bag in the freezer. The smaller portions thaw faster than a big container. smile.gif

Hope this helps someone!
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykins View Post

I could. Not. "fill the hole" in my belly today. I was feeling yuck and needed to do some kitchen stuff- getting stuff in the freezer from the fridge... I made tomato soup earlier in the week and had a big container of chicken stock ready to skim and freeze. That stock smelled sooooooo goood. I commented to dh that this batch of stock smelled particularly good.... He suggested I might be needing the minerals in it... So I heated some up and have it in a mug. Instant satisfaction.
I make my stock in the crockpot! I get chicken backs from my butcher who sells Amish grown chickens, fill the pot 1/2 way with backs, add whatever random veg (carrot, onion, bell pepper and garlic was this batch) and then fill the pot with water. Add a splash of ACV, cook on low overnight and through the day.
I strain it and cool in fridge, skim fat and pour into muffin tins. I freeze in the tins then pop them out like old school ice
Cube trays (run under warm water) and store in a bag in the freezer. The smaller portions thaw faster than a big container. smile.gif
Hope this helps someone!

Yum!  I just ate a hunk of cheese to try and calm my hunger before dp gets home for dinner.  What is ACV?  I might have to try my next batch of stock in the crock pot, instead of the usually 4 hours stove top, plus cooling time.  Kudos to your DH for the suggestion!  What a awesome partner.

post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali2SC View Post
 


It's good to be cautious, but I think it's more important to listen to our bodies. If something makes you feel better, your body's saying "Yes, this is working for me!" If you feel like it's too much, or don't feel better after using it, then stop using it. I feel like with my first pregnancy, I was a LOT more paranoid about every little thing. I've learned since then that my instincts are never wrong, and if I listen to them, it works out beautifully. Also, peppermint has been used for a very long time to relieve nausea in pregnancy and wouldn't still be used if it wasn't safe. It's kind of people to be concerned about others, but I know for myself, I often feel fearful if someone shares a concern, then I realize I'm perfectly fine and the fearful feeling was unnecessary.

post #19 of 37
ACV is apple cider vinegar. It's supposed to help break down the minerals in the bones to
Get a gel stock. I have to admit I think I've gotten gel maybe once ever? Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
post #20 of 37

Today, I started to get nausea and 3 nice sized pieces of (gluten free) cake seem to have delayed it for about 2 1/2 hours....hmmm...maybe I should make this a daily habit?  What in the cake could have made everything better?

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: April 2013 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › April 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › Pregnancy tips and tricks