or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › I'm Not Vaccinating › What is your least favourite vaccine - and why?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is your least favourite vaccine - and why?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

What is your least favourite vaccine - and why?

 

lurk.gif

post #2 of 20

LOL, this is an interesting question.  I guess my least favorite would be DTaP because that's what injured my son, but I can think of several that I think are ridiculous and ineffective.

post #3 of 20
Can I say all of them?? Lol. I would have to say my least favorite is the flu shot...flu shot season is in full effect at the pharmacy where I work and we are expected to invite each guest to receive their flu shot... eyesroll.gif
post #4 of 20

Smallpox for the reasons I discussed elsewhere but in summary a diagnoses of eczema in the household is a cdc contraindication.

 

On the schedule, dtap because of the risk of seizures. My husband had seizures as a child that we believe were caused by the dpt and while the risk is considerably less now it is still a risk. Also based on some numbers I've read it still seems to be the most deadly vax and isn't all that effective.

post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 

I am having trouble narrowing down.

 

The flu vaccine for pregnant women makes me loopy.  Extra bonus points if it has thimerosal in it.  Everyone knows drugs should be avoided in pregnancy if possible - so lets throw that knowledge out the window and convince women that, no, really, they should be vaccinated during pregnancy….

 

 

Hep B. newborn shot.  Good grief.  Newborns whose mothers do not have Hep. B are not at risk for Hep. B.  The Hep. B vaccine does carry risk for newborns (including a 3 fold increase in autism for boys.  Will cite if asked)

 

I am not fond of MMR and DTaP being only available together.  There are moms who post on here regularly who would like tetanus or pertussis - but do not want the other vaxxes that go along with it. 

post #6 of 20
This is a tough one- I want to say all of them, too. I'm thinking of CP because of the other thread... That was the vaccine that made me first question the credibility of all vaxxes. CP went from being a relatively benign nuisance (and a rite of passage, almost) with a funny name to a deadly menace that all children need to be sheltered from, all in the span of one generation. This shift in the medical industry's message really screamed BS to me.

I hate hep b for newborns, for the same reason, Kathy... There's no excuse for it to be given universally except for naked opportunism and greed.

Guardasil... I hate this one for how aggressively it was marketed, for how awful the side effects have been, for its potential threat to the fertility of recipients, and I regret so deeply that I allowed my eldest to receive the first 2 shots n that series.
Edited by Jennyanydots - 8/20/12 at 4:00pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I am having trouble narrowing down.

 

The flu vaccine for pregnant women makes me loopy.  Extra bonus points if it has thimerosal in it.  Everyone knows drugs should be avoided in pregnancy if possible - so lets throw that knowledge out the window and convince women that, no, really, they should be vaccinated during pregnancy….

 

 

Hep B. newborn shot.  Good grief.  Newborns whose mothers do not have Hep. B are not at risk for Hep. B.  The Hep. B vaccine does carry risk for newborns (including a 3 fold increase in autism for boys.  Will cite if asked)

 

I am not fond of MMR and DTaP being only available together.  There are moms who post on here regularly who would like tetanus or pertussis - but do not want the other vaxxes that go along with it. 

yeahthat.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post


Guardasil... I hate this one for how aggressively it was marketed, for how awful the side effects have been, for it's potential threat to the fertility of recipients, and I regret so deeply that I allowed my eldest to receive the first 2 shots n that series.

I was one of the few that was vaccinated for Guardasil back when it just came out. I was the guinea pig. My mom pushed me to get it so I did. I remember how sick I was hours after the vaccine and I was feeling like the world was spinning. I couldn't even move for an hour. My mom had to help me walk to the car from the clinic.

post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by C is for Cookie View Post

I was one of the few that was vaccinated for Guardasil back when it just came out. I was the guinea pig. My mom pushed me to get it so I did. I remember how sick I was hours after the vaccine and I was feeling like the world was spinning. I couldn't even move for an hour. My mom had to help me walk to the car from the clinic.

That sounds horrible. DD1 didn't complain of any particular side effects at the time, but I worry about the individual and cumulative issues all these drugs may have caused. She's asthmatic, has horrible food allergies, skin problems, and chronic low energy, in addition to attention problems. Detox and a careful diet have helped tremendously over the past few years, but I hate that I didn't do my research when she was younger... I will never be sure her issues are vax related, but I suspect they may be, and if I'd known the risks and that I had a choice, who knows where we'd be?
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

LOL, this is an interesting question.  I guess my least favorite would be DTaP because that's what injured my son, but I can think of several that I think are ridiculous and ineffective.

Similar situation with my daughter, athough her reaction wasn't near as bad as it could have been, it was however the driving force for me deciding I would no longer vax.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

The flu vaccine for pregnant women makes me loopy.  Extra bonus points if it has thimerosal in it.  Everyone knows drugs should be avoided in pregnancy if possible - so lets throw that knowledge out the window and convince women that, no, really, they should be vaccinated during pregnancy….

 

Hep B. newborn shot.  Good grief.  Newborns whose mothers do not have Hep. B are not at risk for Hep. B.  The Hep. B vaccine does carry risk for newborns (including a 3 fold increase in autism for boys.  Will cite if asked)

 

I've never had a flu vax, and I'm pretty sure I've only had the flu maybe 2x in almost 30 yrs, so that's not a bad track record IMO!  I went ballistic when it was offered multiple times during my pregnancy - they said I was "special" becuase they save them for the elderly and preggos - I told them to give mine to someone else who came looking for one.  I do wish I had read more about the Hep B earlier on.  I thought I was doing good by postponing it and not doing it in the hospital but waiting til her first pedi appt. but never again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

This is a tough one- I want to say all of them, too. I'm thinking of CP because of the other thread... That was the vaccine that made me first question the credibility of all vaxxes. CP went from being a relatively benign nuisance (and a rite of passage, almost) with a funny name to a deadly menace that all children need to be sheltered from, all in the span of one generation. This shift in the medical industry's message really screamed BS to me.
I hate hep b for newborns, for the same reason, Kathy... There's no excuse for it to be given universally except for naked opportunism and greed.
Guardasil... I hate this one for how aggressively it was marketed, for how awful the side effects have been, for its potential threat to the fertility of recipients, and I regret so deeply that I allowed my eldest to receive the first 2 shots n that series.

I had a blast with chickenpox.  I honestly can't remember being miserable, my sister and I both had them at the same time so we got to take oatmeal baths which we thought was super fun.  We even went to the public pool bc it was the middle of summer and we didn't have a/c at our house so our mother made us wear t-shirts over our swimsuits so we didn't scare people with our spots lol!

 

And Guardasil was the first vax that I turned down for myself.  It was offered to me when I was maybe 16...18? Somewhere in there and first started going to the gyno, and I remember her asking me to wait in the room once I refused so she could talk to my mother (who was in the waiting room) and try to get her to talk me into it.  My first thought was "how absurd is it to think a vaccine would stop cancer".  At the time I was taking Anat & Phys classes in school and I had a good baseline knowledge of things and it seemed strange to me so that was my reason for declining.  Little did I know then how much interest I would take up later on in life about vaxing!

post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I am having trouble narrowing down.

The flu vaccine for pregnant women makes me loopy.  Extra bonus points if it has thimerosal in it.  Everyone knows drugs should be avoided in pregnancy if possible - so lets throw that knowledge out the window and convince women that, no, really, they should be vaccinated during pregnancy….




It is also now also recommended that pregnant women receive the Tdap if they are after 20 weeks. The prior recommmendation was to avoid the pertussis component during pregnancy, now it is magically ok I guess?
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

 

I had a blast with chickenpox.  I honestly can't remember being miserable, my sister and I both had them at the same time so we got to take oatmeal baths which we thought was super fun.  We even went to the public pool bc it was the middle of summer and we didn't have a/c at our house so our mother made us wear t-shirts over our swimsuits so we didn't scare people with our spots lol!

 

 

I don't remember being miserable with CP either.  I was the first person in my school to get it that year (we never figured out how) and I passed it on to everyone in my class and my brother, who passed it on to everyone in his class.  Not a complication to be had in the whole school.

 

But since I was home sick for a week, my 1st grade class made me cards and sent them home.  No one else got that because everyone had the pox after that!  So it was kind of a special memory, LOL.  I just remember that my grandfather couldn't visit because he had never had CP.  He was in his 60s at the time, and never got CP before he died of cancer at 76.  So in my family, it was just not a big deal and definitely something to get over with as a kid.

 

DH says that he had it once super mild and then again more moderately, both as a kid.  He had a lot of illnesses as a child, but he was also obese and his parents fed him horribly.  He went to visit with our son recently and my in-laws didn't have anything healthy in the house - not even a single piece of fruit.

post #12 of 20

I would say chicken pox because it just seems so...silly. Especially to give to a very young child. Maybe if they recommended it to pre-teen/teens who had never acquired immunity naturally, but it's just bizarre to me to vaccinate for it when they are still very young and have a good chance of getting chicken pox (and therefore, immunity) on their own.

 

The flu shot is a very close second, maybe even a tie.

post #13 of 20

While I have always hated the flu shot, I think the CP vaccine is worse. I don't know if we've seen a vaccine do so much harm (since the oral polio that is) as the CP vax does. Its incomprehensible how so many people don't understand the ramifications of removing wild CP from the US.

 

As someone who had CP 4x (the vaccine itself brought on the first mild case) before I finally had immunity I can only imagine I will have shingles as I get older from lack of exposure. I worry about finding it in four or five years when I feel my DD is old enough to have CP without scratching, and I worry I will get singles then (before I'm 30!) because CP is barely circulating.

 

It's also the first vaccine that was marketed to keep parents from missing work to tend to their sick children. Instead of dealing with lack of sick leave, healthcare, and the shift to require both parents to work abundant in this country, we now "have" to inject our children with VERY questionable vaccines instead. soapbox.gif

post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

 

Hep B. newborn shot.  Good grief.  Newborns whose mothers do not have Hep. B are not at risk for Hep. B.  The Hep. B vaccine does carry risk for newborns (including a 3 fold increase in autism for boys.  Will cite if asked)

 

Would you mind sharing the link for this?  Very interesting to know!  Thanks in advance smile.gif

post #15 of 20

I really think they are all as bad as each other. But if you pinned me down to one, I would have to say Gardasil, I am shocked at the number of teens and young women who have lost their health and even lives to this particular vaccine since its approval in 2006.

 

http://sanevax.org/my-personal-gardasil-journey/

 

 

 

HPV VACCINE VAERS REPORTS AS OF JULY 2012

 

Description     Total
Disabled     891  
Deaths     119  
Did Not Recover     5,413  
Abnormal Pap Smear     493  
Cervical Dysplasia     197  
Cervical Cancer     57  
Life Threatening     509  
Emergency Room     9,801  
Hospitalized     2,749  
Extended Hospital Stay     220  
Serious     3,683  
Adverse Events     26,564
 
post #16 of 20

My least favorite "vaccine", besides all the rest, is the "H5N1 Vaccine" This "vaccine" is not currently available but it is coming soon. For a year or two it like all other "vaccines" will be fear induced but as the number of H5N1 virus deaths climb and the chants of "vaccinate them all by FORCE if necessary" become louder and louder a great debate will begin.

 

Those who do not want this "vaccine" will point out that those who have refused "vaccination" are mostly still alive while MANY of the "vaccinated" have gotten H5N1.

 

The pro "vaccine" crowd will chant "vaccinate them ALL"

 

The strange thing about H5N1 is that it does not spread human to human; despite all the propaganda stating it does.

 

H5N1 has been historically been attempted to be delivered by needle from a syringe containing the live H5N1.

 

IMO the H5N1 bio-weapon makes ANY NEEDLE potentially deadly.
 

post #17 of 20

http://www.onemoregirlfilm.com/index.html looks interesting. The politics behind this one makes me Cuss.gif, last I checked it was mandatory for immigrating women to get into US. 

post #18 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by basilico View Post

 

Would you mind sharing the link for this?  Very interesting to know!  Thanks in advance smile.gif

 

Sure!

 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21058170

 

Googling the terms "newborns, autism males and Hep B"  will yield a wealth of results.

 

While I do not vax for Hep B. period, there is some evidence that waiting until the baby is 2 months plus will increase effectiveness:

 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2910296/

 

"Delaying the first dose of the HB vaccine until 2 months after birth produces a higher immune response and can provide longer term protection."

post #19 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisw View Post

My least favorite "vaccine", besides all the rest, is the "H5N1 Vaccine" This "vaccine" is not currently available but it is coming soon. For a year or two it like all other "vaccines" will be fear induced but as the number of H5N1 virus deaths climb and the chants of "vaccinate them all by FORCE if necessary" become louder and louder a great debate will begin.

 

 

 

 

Links, please, on this upcoming vaccine.  Non-inflammatroy ones if possible.  

post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

 

Links, please, on this upcoming vaccine.  Non-inflammatroy ones if possible.  

 

Here is a good overview of the fake pandemics.

 

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/07/09/pandemic-bird-flu-evolution.aspx?e_cid=20120709_DNL_artNew_1

 

Jane Burgermeister - pandemic update 25 June 2012  To the uninitiated this may seem quite inflammatory but should you come up to speed on H5N1 it will no longer seem so IMO. H5N1 is bird flu.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebcG_WcsezY&feature=player_embedded

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: I'm Not Vaccinating
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › I'm Not Vaccinating › What is your least favourite vaccine - and why?