So, I bought a Diva cup over 2 years ago. I never got to actually use it. (I tried putting it in, that's about it). I got pregnant before I was able to use it for real. Fast forward to today... I'm 19 months postpartum and I think I'm going to get AF soon. ETA, right in the middle of my Hawaiian vacation. Should I bother trying to use it on the trip, or does this have disaster written all over it? What is your experience with the cup? Did you get it right the first time?
- categoryNatural Body Caretagged by System, 8/21/12
Related Forum Threads
- Have you ever sneezed or coughed and farted simultaneously? Last post on 11/25/13 at 1:11pm in I'm Pregnant
- What's hot in menstrual cups these days? Last post on 11/17/13 at 8:12pm in Natural Body Care
- Diva Cup - I must be doing something wrong. Last post on Today at 7:00 am in Natural Body Care
- Essential Oil Brands? I am so confused... Last post on 10/24/13 at 9:12am in Natural Body Care
- Hand sanitizer/wipes for school Last post on 8/21/13 at 7:02am in Natural Body Care
Diva cup.. what are my chances of getting it right the first time?
I didn't have a problem with it and the first time I used it was also with my first period post-partum. You can also practise at home before you leave for the trip - it isn't like using a tampon where you can only use it when you need it!
I would suggest rinsing it out (it always goes in easier when wet) and trying it out at home. The key is to be relaxed and to give it a twist or two once you get it in place. The twisting creates the suction that will keep it in place.
The diva cup took me about two minutes to figure out, about ten minutes to feel comfortable in, and that was that. It's my favorite find! I always get it wet before putting it in and use the "C" fold. With the diva cup it's like I don't even have a period. With the diva cup I rinse it out and stick it in when I first go to the bathroom in the AM, and then again when I have a shower in the evening (approx 12-14 hours later). I LOVE it! I've never had any problems with it. I love not having icky pads or tampons to buy or deal with. Tampons never worked for me (my flow was too unpredictable and OUCH when they have to be pulled out dry).
For most women, "getting it wrong" just means having to make a lot of tries at inserting until it's comfortable, and the potential for leakage. My biggest tip for newbies is to relax and keep trying! If you're tense and thinking "oh my god, I need to get this cup to work right now, why isn't it working??" your muscles are going to tense up and make it extra difficult. The power of taking a few deep breaths and calming yourself down cannot be underestimated!
Also, I'd highly recommend using a pantyliner as backup at first, in case it does leak, and having back-up supplies in general just in case for some reason the cup isn't working for you.
You can also practice inserting the cup before your period, as Shantimama said. You'll want to moisten the rim with some water or water-based lube to help it be comfortable, but you can practice finding a comfortable position for the cup and feeling around the rim to make sure it's re-opened after you've inserted it.
Congrats on making the switch to a menstrual cup, and have an amazing trip!!
- › 2 year old with serious tooth decay...need advice on treatment... 39 seconds ago
- › What were you fed? 1 minute ago
- › Wash your face with honey! 3 minutes ago
- › Dingo Bells, Dingo Bells, Dingo all the Way!!!! 7 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread ~*~ December 2013 11 minutes ago
- › Diva Cup - I must be doing something wrong. 14 minutes ago
- › My 4 year old can not draw anything 16 minutes ago
- › Facebook group - come join us! 19 minutes ago
- › Queer, Pregnant & Parenting October, November & December 2013! 19 minutes ago
- › Cycle troubles. 20 minutes ago
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Bamboletta Doll by sleeping mama
- › Melissa & Doug Cutting Food Box by ahilal
- › Prince Lionheart Whirl Balance Scooter, Natural/Pink by Melanie Mayo
- › Elves and Angels Sylvie's Wood Kitchen by Melanie Mayo
- › Natural Earth Paints Face Paint by Melanie Mayo
- › Glob Greeting Card Collage Kit with Seedpaper by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Monica S
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo
- › 21 Toys Under $21 | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo
- › Toys to Splurge On | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo