So, I bought a Diva cup over 2 years ago. I never got to actually use it. (I tried putting it in, that's about it). I got pregnant before I was able to use it for real. Fast forward to today... I'm 19 months postpartum and I think I'm going to get AF soon. ETA, right in the middle of my Hawaiian vacation. Should I bother trying to use it on the trip, or does this have disaster written all over it? What is your experience with the cup? Did you get it right the first time?
- categoryNatural Body Care
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone try Jean's stretch mark cure? Last post on Yesterday at 4:24 pm in Natural Body Care
- How to avoid Emulsifying Wax...anyone have advice on using xanthum gum and sunflower lecithin in... Last post on 5/9/13 at 2:19pm in Natural Body Care
- Garlic Deodorant? :) Last post on 5/15/13 at 6:46pm in Natural Body Care
- Managing toddler curls Last post on 5/15/13 at 12:50am in Natural Body Care
- Homemade Shampoo Last post on 5/14/13 at 4:04pm in Natural Body Care
Diva cup.. what are my chances of getting it right the first time?
I didn't have a problem with it and the first time I used it was also with my first period post-partum. You can also practise at home before you leave for the trip - it isn't like using a tampon where you can only use it when you need it!
I would suggest rinsing it out (it always goes in easier when wet) and trying it out at home. The key is to be relaxed and to give it a twist or two once you get it in place. The twisting creates the suction that will keep it in place.
The diva cup took me about two minutes to figure out, about ten minutes to feel comfortable in, and that was that. It's my favorite find! I always get it wet before putting it in and use the "C" fold. With the diva cup it's like I don't even have a period. With the diva cup I rinse it out and stick it in when I first go to the bathroom in the AM, and then again when I have a shower in the evening (approx 12-14 hours later). I LOVE it! I've never had any problems with it. I love not having icky pads or tampons to buy or deal with. Tampons never worked for me (my flow was too unpredictable and OUCH when they have to be pulled out dry).
Well, I feel a little foolish because it seems like nobody else has had trouble, but the first time (and last) that I tried to use it, it got stuck and it took dh and I over three hours to get it out. It was not romantic!
I personally use cloth pads but I am paging TracyGladRags to see if she has advice for you...she is the owner of GladRags and knows pretty much everything about reusable menstrual stuff. :)
For most women, "getting it wrong" just means having to make a lot of tries at inserting until it's comfortable, and the potential for leakage. My biggest tip for newbies is to relax and keep trying! If you're tense and thinking "oh my god, I need to get this cup to work right now, why isn't it working??" your muscles are going to tense up and make it extra difficult. The power of taking a few deep breaths and calming yourself down cannot be underestimated!
Also, I'd highly recommend using a pantyliner as backup at first, in case it does leak, and having back-up supplies in general just in case for some reason the cup isn't working for you.
You can also practice inserting the cup before your period, as Shantimama said. You'll want to moisten the rim with some water or water-based lube to help it be comfortable, but you can practice finding a comfortable position for the cup and feeling around the rim to make sure it's re-opened after you've inserted it.
Congrats on making the switch to a menstrual cup, and have an amazing trip!!
- Diva cup.. what are my chances of getting it right the first time?
- › Just Got Chewed Out During my Appt... And Walked Out 2 minutes ago
- › Vent - in the closet about private school 4 minutes ago
- › rough day could use some encouragement 4 minutes ago
- › A Saner TTC-The Pink Moon 17 minutes ago
- › May TWW Thread 24 minutes ago
- › Weekly Chat - May 7 to May 13 26 minutes ago
- › In-Laws Pushing Boundaries, How To Say No? 26 minutes ago
- › Baby names....anyone brainstorming? 32 minutes ago
- › Need help with sore and engourged breasts. need to completely dry... 34 minutes ago
- › 23 month old constantly nursing and driving me nuts.... help please! 47 minutes ago
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › Charlie Banana Reusable Feminine Pads Liner Butterfly, Butterfly by Chapsie
- › Earth Mama-Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm, 2 fl oz (60 ml) by Chapsie
- › Econobum Individual by Chapsie
- › EnJoye LBI Deluxe Tote Set - Brown by JennaRose
- › Lusa Organics Booty Balm by emkassu
- › I Took the Moon for a Walk by Melanie Mayo
- › BabyKicks Premium Pocket Diaper by KirstenP
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions - Sustainability Oak... by JenniO11
- › Terms and Conditions - Mothering... by JenniO11