Well, I have been MIA for a bit because DD1 has been out of school and entertaining her seems to take a lot of time! Anyway, this is the thread I was most interested in finding while i have a few minutes. It is interesting to see all different points of view and reasons for not vs doing the 20 week scan! I had one with DD1, very low resolution in the doctor's office, but nothing alarming was seen. Everything was fine at birth. Opted not to do one with DD2, everything was fine at birth. Did one with DD3, they found a cyst. They thought it might be on her kidney, but it was a single cyst, everything else was perfect, fluid levels were great, the midwife was not overly concerned, her assessments of the pregnancy and baby never threw up any red flags. Things seemed to go fine until a few weeks before my due date and then the OB was calling throwing up alarms, the kidney specialist was calling (forget his technical doctor name), the pediatrician was calling... all throwing wrenches in our home birth plans. We went a head with the home birth because no one could really give me a real reason why I needed to deliver in the hospital other than they wanted to scan the baby immediately after birth. My research and discussions with the midwife led me to feel that the worst case scenario would be that that kidney would not function at all (the other kidney was 100% normal) and we would see the warning signs with plenty of time to make a decision on when we should go to the doctor. We have her at home, she was fine at birth, we were supposed to call right when she was born and take her in for a scan in the first 24 hours. We opted to monitor her, we called the third day and took her in the fourth or fifth day, I do not recall for sure. It turned out to be a cyst on her ovary and we monitored it and it disappeared by 4 months of age. The hard thing was that my intuition told me that it was not a life death situation and that our plan was reasonable and responsible, but I had a slight deep fear that if something was wrong and we were not following doctors orders that the insurance company could hassle us for coverage if she wound up needing treatment... not fun to stress about the last few weeks I was pregnant! If we would have had no ultrasound at all my midwives and myself would still have been aware quickly if something was wrong and would have taken action and there would have been less stress!
So this time I go back and forth on what to do. Our insurance is an HMO, so to go through them all the doctors have access to the results and I have no say in who sees it, plus they are generally anti-home birth so I feel like they are often looking for a reason. Part of the problem last time was that the doctors were all looking and not communicating, so one would call me and say it was not life or death, one would call and say the baby was going to die...We could pay out of pocket and go to where my midwife typically sends her clients, he is skilled and his concern would be on the baby, not where I planned to give birth.
DH just called to tell me he finally talked to the benefits coordinator at work and found out ultrasound is not covered anyway and we would have pay out of pocket to go with the HMO. So the options now are $400 out of pocket at an outside location or no ultrasound. We do not want to know gender, i do not have any intuition that there might be something wrong, we have had no complications in the past. There is always the what if though. DH and I are going to talk and make a decision tonight because I am going to have to schedule it soon if we want to do it!
Very long winded, sorry, I mostly just needed to type it out for myself!