Does anyone know a goodOB/GYNs in the Los Angeles South Bay (Torrance, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach) area that will do VBACs and takes HMO insurance? I have asked friends for referrals and researched on the internet but haven't been very successful finding one yet.
Finding VBAC OB/GYN in Los Angeles South Bay (HMO)
I am presently seeing Dr. Alexandra Bujor. When we thought I still had HMO insurance (we didn't realize that my coverage had been terminated in March), her office said they did accept my HMO insurance (I had Blue Cross HMO). I've had two appointments with her and she seems on board with me wanting a VBAC. Although at my most recent appt, when I brought up VBAC, she said she wants to wait until I am further along (about 30 weeks) to discuss the details and go over "VBAC restrictions." I'm not quite why she wants to wait until I am that far along, but I do trust her and like her, so I am willing to wait at this point. I started another thread in this forum about this issue (the "waiting to discuss details" issue) to see if any other Mamas can chime in if this something that's routinely done or if maybe my OB isn't really keen on VBACs but just doesn't want to outright tell me...
I have been corresponding with a doula that serves the LA South Bay area and she says that she has worked with Dr. Bujor and that she had a good experiences.
With my daughter's birth, I ended up getting an epidural possibly too early on. I am thinking that might have been the case b/c everything really stalled after the epidural and my daughter ended up going into fetal distress. Dr. Bujor did my emergency c-section and I never felt like the c-section was a bad or traumatizing experience. Everyone was calm and everything went smoothly. I got to hold daughter w/ my jusbands help right afterwards. She was with me as soon as I was in the recovery room. We had no problems w/ breastfeeding (she just recently self-weaned at over 3 1/2 years old). The healing process was fairly easy (not painful as long as I was taking my pain meds). And my scar is hardly noticeable. I thought it would be good to mention this since this was my previous experience w/ Dr. Bujor.
She did tell me that Torrance Memorial is better set up for VBACs than is Little Co. of Mary. We are paying cash at this point (while we wait on a response to an appeal to our insurance provider), so if it doesn't seem like I am getting the VBAC support I want later on, I will most likely try to transfer to UCLA medical center. Though I don't know of an OB there yet...
Thanks a lot for the reply! I will check out Dr. Bujur. She has good reviews online too. I called Little Company of St. Mary and Torrance Memorial. At little Company of St. Mary they told me that they allow VBACs, but it depends on the doctor that delivers the baby. Their HMO OBGYNs will not do VBACs. At Torrance Memorial, they have a regular staff of OBGYNs that will do VBACs, so you don't end up having a C-Section just because your doctor isn't available when you deliver. In general, I heard Little Company or St. Mary is more personal and therefore better for maternity then Torrance Memorial, while Torrance Memorial is better for anything else (except birth). At Torrance Memorial they were super-nice. They looked at my insurance (Cigna HMO) and recommended these 2 OBYGNs that will do VBACs:
Dr. Francis, McKindsey, 23430 Hawthorne Blvd Suite 200, Torrance Ca 90505 310-373-7993
Dr. Deepjot Singh, 3400 Lomita Blvd Suite 500, Torrance Ca, 90505, 310-373-7900
I was hoping for a natural birth the first time around with doula and no medication. When we got to the hospital (Cedar Sinai), I was already 7 cm dilated and things seemed to be progressing well, except my water didn't break. I ended up agreeing for them to break my water at some point, because it was so uncomfortable. That was probably where things went wrong. My daughter was not small (9 pounds) and I believe she was in an angle (even though head down) because I had 2 bumps to the right of my belly throughout the last weeks of my pregnancy. She would not come down even though I was walking or sitting on a ball for most of the time during labor. After about 18 hours, I was exhausted and agreed on a having a little epidural to rest, then they tried to give me some pitocin which didn't help at all and who knows might have made it worse. They let me try to push for a while, then they tried the suction to help pull her out. That was around 22 hours into labor. They told me they will try 3 times if that won't work I would need a C-Section. I was disappointed to have a C-Section, but at least my daughter nursed right away and everything healed very well.
When are you due?
Hi there Mama! My EDD is Feb 2nd. When are you due? Did you end up finding a supportive OB?
Since responding to your OP, I have decided on switching providers. I'm planning to set up an appointment with the Midwifery Group that practices within the UCLA Medical Center. From the responses I got from this thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1362040/ob-wants-to-wait-until-i-am-30-weeks-to-discuss-vbac-restrictions-why , it seems like a good idea. I've been reading about VBACs and it seems that one of the most important factors in VBAC success is going with a provider that truly supports you. I'm really hoping that I will feel more reassured with and supported by the midwives... Will keep you posted!
Sorry for the delayed response! I am due end of January and I actually met with Dr. Bujor, who seemed good. I don't know her well enough yet, but I heard good things about her from several people. The UCLA midwifes seem like a great choice for VBACs, I am just hoping to deliver in the South Bay to save the drive. Why did you leave Dr. Bujor? Did you feel like she wasn't supportive enough?