or Connect
Mothering › Groups › May 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › First appointments?

First appointments? - Page 5

post #81 of 118

I had my first appointment this morning! My husband came along for the first part then left for work before the physical exam. The midwife was very welcoming. She took a long history (all EMR, which is great since I'm transferring care mid-pregnancy due to a move), questions and answers, discussed nutrition, and just chatted a little. She asked us to consider whether we wanted to do the nuchal translucency test (DH wanted time to read up and discuss before deciding), talked about why she normally wouldn't do an U/S now (which made perfect sense, although despite my general hands-off inclinations I was a wee big disappointed!), then did the physical exam (lungs, heart, thyroid, breasts, internal exam to confirm growth of uterus). Blood samples at the end.

 

Pretty uneventful overall, but really fun to have someone else in on the secret, since the only other person who knows is my best friend. I had a dumb moment and scheduled the next visit (4 wks) for a time when I'm out of town, so I have to call back and fix that. ALSO I left (like, down the street) forgetting they were going to do my blood ... the receptionist came out the door calling my name ... seriously embarrassing, but they were sweet and laughed it off. I was just thinking about moving onto my errands, ha!

post #82 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightJoy View Post

First appointment is today, and DH let me know this morning that there's a chance he'll be able to leave work to meet me. I'm so excited to see my little May Baby!!!! happytears.gif
Appointment went so well today! love.gif

Ultrasound showed a very wiggly baby. Heartbeat was strong, 180 beats per minute. heartbeat.gif Baby was the right size for 8 weeks along.
post #83 of 118

Marie, that's funny about the blood draw! I'm so happy you had a great experience with your appt.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwilightJoy View Post


Appointment went so well today! love.gif
Ultrasound showed a very wiggly baby. Heartbeat was strong, 180 beats per minute. heartbeat.gif Baby was the right size for 8 weeks along.

 

Congrats, TJ! 180 is awesome!

post #84 of 118

I had my first appointment yesterday.  Had a vaginal u/s, which was pretty cool.  To quote the tech: "Yep, there's a baby in there!"  And then DH was quite relieved a few minutes later when she said "and there's only one...."  wink1.gif

 

I was weighed, gave a urine sample, answered a gazillion page questionnaire.  Finally met with the doctor who mostly talked about nutrition and all my *high risk* issues due to my age.  Kind of a bummer.  She wanted me to meet with a high risk specialist to talk about various testing options.  DH and I will have to talk about all of that. 

 

And I'm not pleased that she was very clear that I will not be allowed to go past my due date.  irked.gif  DS was 2 days early so hoping this LO will do the same!

post #85 of 118
I had my first appointment yesterday. It went great and we got to hear our little ones heart beat 160 bpm. So happy we got to hear it makes it feel real especially for dh! Hope everyone else is doing good!
post #86 of 118
I had my first appt at exactly 10 weeks a few days ago. It was mostly catching up on things since she was our MW with homebirth of DS1 3 years ago. Checking in on how I was feeling, estimating the due date from date of last period, ovulation, possible conception dates, etc. They took blood pressure, weight and a simple urine test for proteins, glucose, hydration, etc. Everything good and scheduled for a visit in 4 weeks for blood draw, full urine analysis, and doppler heart beat. Looking forward to hearing the little critter in there as I know it makes it so much more real for me!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
post #87 of 118

Hi Mamas,

I'm new here and just wanted to jump in. I just had a consultation apt today with a midwife practice. Because my cycles were extremely inconsistent we could be off by up to a month for how far a long I am so If I end up going with this practice they want to use the doppler once a week for 2 or 3 weeks to try and get a more accurate idea of my dates based on when they can hear the heart rate. But after that visit we will switch to the fetoscope since the doppler is a type of ultrasound and they/I am with these other ladies about them not being proven safe. I've seen videos showing baby's reactions to dopplers and u/s and they don't like them. When I was at the Farm in TN this summer they said that they feel( and had supporting articles and videos) that having a u/s  after 20 weeks is the best time to do it you want to find out the sex or any other diagnostic information, that there's less of a chance of harming the baby since its much more established.

That being said I think that the real harm is in repeat u/s when unnecessary, and if we were concerned about something and it helped us with peace of mind or from stressing out I would probably get one.

post #88 of 118
It's normal that they couldn't find the heartbeat at 9.5 weeks, right? Had my first OB appointment today and she said that it was unusual to be able to hear it but she tried anywhere. When she couldn't find it she let me pop on the ultrasound but had trouble finding it then too! She kept saying she couldn't tell which was my bladder and which was my uterus (um, and you might deliver my baby?). Finally she found it waaaaay on the left and we saw the little flickering heartbeat again. But now I'm all concerned. Shouldn't it be easier to find by now, three weeks later?

I mean she didn't seem concerned but I read some stories here about people measuring small and that being a bad sign and, you know, the hormones act up so it just made me nervous. Please tell me it's ok.
post #89 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaLynnH View Post

It's normal that they couldn't find the heartbeat at 9.5 weeks, right? Had my first OB appointment today and she said that it was unusual to be able to hear it but she tried anywhere. When she couldn't find it she let me pop on the ultrasound but had trouble finding it then too! She kept saying she couldn't tell which was my bladder and which was my uterus (um, and you might deliver my baby?). Finally she found it waaaaay on the left and we saw the little flickering heartbeat again. But now I'm all concerned. Shouldn't it be easier to find by now, three weeks later?
I mean she didn't seem concerned but I read some stories here about people measuring small and that being a bad sign and, you know, the hormones act up so it just made me nervous. Please tell me it's ok.
It can be tough to find the HB with the doppler that early, yes, and sometimes even later on if the baby is in a weird position or moving a lot it can be hard to find too. It sounds like she was finally able to find it with a U/S though, so that's good! I do share your concerns with her voicing her thoughts about is it a uterus or a bladder?!? Maybe this isn't that bad, maybe they are nearly the same size right now and OBs aren't U/S techs, but yeah they should be pretty knowledgeable, right? I'll try to give her the benefit of the doubt, but seriously, she should probably have kept that to herself.

I will say I had at least one appointment last time, maybe ~12-14 weeks where they were having trouble finding the HB with the doppler, so they did a quick U/S and found the baby and HB that way np. I have to say my OB and nurses never had problems finding the uterus & baby on a U/S though, but maybe yours is in a weird position? She did find the baby though, so that's good, and with her brain-to-mouth filter that turned off, I'm sure she would have mentioned if she thought the size wasn't right.
post #90 of 118

Finally had my first appt today, yahoo! All looks good, so now we wait for the next one. It was good to talk about all of the detailed things w/my mw, especially b/c she is pretty much on the same page as me on everything. I got to meet her assisting mw too and I liked her, so that is great. I was surprised that she tries to come to all prenatal appts, that impressed me. In my last birth I saw the second midwife maybe once during my pregnancy. I knew a lot about her and was happy with all of our casual interactions (1-2x prior to preg as well in different circumstances), but she was pretty much not involved at all with my prenatal care. DH came and was happy with the appt too, so that is great!

post #91 of 118

I also finally had my first appointment, altho the midwife said 11 weeks was too early to hear heartbeat ? ( well i was 10 weeks 5 days as it was weds) im having my us in 6 days now.. eek.. im so so nervous, ive been warned there mite be problems but they dont see the point in early scans? altho they said they have a scanning clinic between 8am and 9am everyday if i get any bleeding or anything. It made it feels tonnes more real tho, and i got my nhs record which was crazy crazy .. i remember reading my mums one for me when i was little.. altho u cant keep the paper file past 10 days after birth.. but u keep it til then and take too all appointments (weird) altho they said u can photocopy it .. i dont know about anyone else but until i see baby is ok and see heartbeat i dont know if i can believe the baby is real or not!!

Additionally i am having more trouble with the ex..  but midwife was really understanding about the situation, which was nice.. im so nervous about the time when it comes to tell people.. i can feels some judgemental attitudes coming on. Also midwife said i had to be under obsteatrician, and possssibly be transferred to a bigger hosp in the local maternity specific hosp cus of risk factors but not sure whats happening there.. also they said my weight is too low (altho we think its mainly because my legs are so long and skinny(zero muscle) that my bmi comes out so rediculous, but still my bmi even with tweaking comes out as pretty underweight.. therefore they are gonna have to do more scans.. anyone else got this?

post #92 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by timesway View Post

I also finally had my first appointment, altho the midwife said 11 weeks was too early to hear heartbeat ? 

i heard the heartbeat at 7weeks... good luck at your appt :)

post #93 of 118

she didnt even try to hear it.. which i thought was weird.. however i have a feeling it mite be because im from the uk? also she seemed generally a bit terrified cus i have a lot of conditions and risk things going on.. she wanted to hand me over obsteatricians asap and get me off her hands i think ;)
 

post #94 of 118

timesway, it sounds like a normal midwife appointment for the NHS. Also if she is transferring you to OB care it is because you need it. I know that OB care is very different in the UK to the USA. In the USA most women use an OB for standard prenatal care, even though they are low risk, but then because they are getting care from someone trained to see complications they end up with more interventions than they actually need. Since standard prenatal care in the UK is done by midwives, only those who actually need an OB are referred to one. If you need an OB then they are your best option. It does sound like you have a complicated health history, so being cared by someone trained for high risk care will be the best way to keep you and the baby healthy.

 

Although I won't choose to see an OB for standard care while I live here in the USA, as I'm a low risk patient, IF something were to happen to make me high risk I would not hesitate to be treated by an OB, knowing that the extra risk factors make the pregnancy and birth both more complicated. Right now I'm an older mama, with a previous c-section, and a bit overweight, but as I've had a successful vaginal birth since the c-section I don't consider myself to be high risk. If I were to develop some serious health issues and also have a multiples pregnancy, then I might consider using an OB as I'd be a higher risk patient.

 

Hope you get a good scan next week and that you can start relaxing into the pregnancy after that.

post #95 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinalla View Post


It can be tough to find the HB with the doppler that early, yes, and sometimes even later on if the baby is in a weird position or moving a lot it can be hard to find too. It sounds like she was finally able to find it with a U/S though, so that's good! I do share your concerns with her voicing her thoughts about is it a uterus or a bladder?!? Maybe this isn't that bad, maybe they are nearly the same size right now and OBs aren't U/S techs, but yeah they should be pretty knowledgeable, right? I'll try to give her the benefit of the doubt, but seriously, she should probably have kept that to herself.
I will say I had at least one appointment last time, maybe ~12-14 weeks where they were having trouble finding the HB with the doppler, so they did a quick U/S and found the baby and HB that way np. I have to say my OB and nurses never had problems finding the uterus & baby on a U/S though, but maybe yours is in a weird position? She did find the baby though, so that's good, and with her brain-to-mouth filter that turned off, I'm sure she would have mentioned if she thought the size wasn't right.

 

The little monster was hiding way down low and on my left side.  The two blobs she was confusing did appear to be about the same size but yea, that was a bit disconcerting.  I know all of these women have great reputations though and you're right, she's not an utrasound tech.  All my bloodwork came back great as did my urine tests so that's good.  Just a bit low on vitamin d which she said is fairly common and not a huge deal.

 

Thinking about doing the second trimester screening rather than the NT.  Anyone have any experience with them?  It seems as though that one checks for another abnormality and is just a blood draw.  They do that in my midwife's office rather than having to trek downtown for the NT.  I know if I get both the results are even more accurate though but I'm not sure it's necessary.

post #96 of 118

thanks cobaby maker.. i know i need to be under an ob.. its just all a bit stressful atm.. i think because i'm doing it on my own.. its all a bit risky, i've got a terrible history and im dealing with an ex at the same time its making me panick.. fingers crossed the scan will make me feel better.. im sure it will.. i just wish they would do it a bit earlier.. normally i get bleeding and then i could go to the bleeding clinic.. but i havent this time and therefore have no reason to go to that for a reassurance scan.. (plus its 8am.. im normally only just asleep at 8am ;) )
 

post #97 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaLynnH View Post

 

Thinking about doing the second trimester screening rather than the NT.  Anyone have any experience with them?  It seems as though that one checks for another abnormality and is just a blood draw.  They do that in my midwife's office rather than having to trek downtown for the NT.  I know if I get both the results are even more accurate though but I'm not sure it's necessary.

I had the NT today.  Are you talking about the NT vs the second trimester triple screen?  I think that the NT is more accurate for trisomy 21 than the triple (but not 100% sure).  The NT is a combined blood test and scan, and the scan has to be done by someone who is especially trained to do them.  At my scan today they also checked generally for HB, that the organs looked good, that all the arms, legs, fingers and toes were there, etc. etc....If you get the NT in the first trimester they can tell you if you need the 2nd Tri triple screen or just an 18 week anatomy scan.  Or if you are shown to be really high risk they could recommend CV or amnio.

 

Thankfully, ours went great today!  1 little bean with a 163 heart rate, everything where it is supposed to be, and low risk for 21, 13 or 18.

post #98 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstewart View Post

I had the NT today.  Are you talking about the NT vs the second trimester triple screen?  I think that the NT is more accurate for trisomy 21 than the triple (but not 100% sure).  The NT is a combined blood test and scan, and the scan has to be done by someone who is especially trained to do them.  At my scan today they also checked generally for HB, that the organs looked good, that all the arms, legs, fingers and toes were there, etc. etc....If you get the NT in the first trimester they can tell you if you need the 2nd Tri triple screen or just an 18 week anatomy scan.  Or if you are shown to be really high risk they could recommend CV or amnio.

 

Thankfully, ours went great today!  1 little bean with a 163 heart rate, everything where it is supposed to be, and low risk for 21, 13 or 18.

Yes, that's the one I was talking about.  Our midwife offered them as one or the other or both and then they can combine the results for even more accuracy.  We were thinking about just going with the second trimester triple screen for a couple of reasons:

1.  The NT is done at a practicioner downtown which is kind of a pain for us.

2.  It's done during the first trimester and I've been a complete slug not wanting to go anywhere or do anything so far so the idea of waiting until the second trimester where I'm supposed to feel better and have energy.

3.  I get to put off worrying a little longer.  We don't have any reason to believe there's a risk of anything being wrong but I'm an anxious person by nature.

post #99 of 118
OMG just got back, twins! Two sacs and looks like two placentas so that's good, but OMG!
post #100 of 118

yikes2.gif
 

Woah Quinalla! double congrats and love to you and your babes!

 

bouncy.gif  bouncy.gif

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: May 2013 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › May 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › First appointments?