or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Diapering › Favorite fitteds? Favorite wool covers?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Favorite fitteds? Favorite wool covers?

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
I use and like the kissas and gmd workhorses but wondering if there is something more absorbent?

Also looking for a lightweight wool wrap cover..

Alot of the older posts recommend companies that have since disappeared.
post #2 of 30
I have motherease one size fitteds and love them. I find I need a booster or flat inside for added absorbency but I have a very heavy wetting toddler (17 months) and until a couple of months ago they did fine on their own. I also have a couple of bumboo fitteds that I also love and they come with a booster and as long as I use it, they can take whatever my DD dishes out. All of my fitteds are second hand and they are holding up great.
For covers, I have a WAHM made soaker that works marvelously that I got on etsy for $25. I also crocheted a very basic soaker that works ok but I think I should felt it to make it a tighter "knit" and hopefully improve its performance.
Hth
post #3 of 30

I like sandy's with a bamboo insert for extra absorbency. About the covers, we haven't tried them, but I've heard loveybums are great http://www.loveybums.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=3   Hope you find what you're looking for!

post #4 of 30

When I first decided to try wool I thought I would only like wraps but then I tried some knit longies and shorties and feel in love. I also had someone make me a soaker from interlock and it rocks. I second etsy if you are looking for something new. Look in the diaperswapers wool section if you don't mind used.

post #5 of 30

About wool vs. water repellant manmade material covers...does the wool get wet? So you need to change it with every diaper change, or can they go a few changes?

post #6 of 30

The wool will absorb some but won't feel wet. You let it air dry between uses and hand wash every couple weeks or if it gets poo on it. lanolin in the wool keeps it from getting smelly.

post #7 of 30

Wow, waffle, that's pretty neat! No wonder they're so pricey. So you put under it basically any fitted without PUL, such as a Kissaluvs?

post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineCoastMama View Post

Wow, waffle, that's pretty neat! No wonder they're so pricey. So you put under it basically any fitted without PUL, such as a Kissaluvs?

Yep! Wool is totally worth the money (coming from someone who has to save up just to buy a pair of longies). 

Sustainablebabyish fitteds + wool has been our savior for night time diapering. 

post #9 of 30

My favorite wool covers for daytime are Loveybums pull ons. I have never used a wool wrap. For nighttime I have used Kissa's wool covers, Disana soakers, and Sustainablebabyish wool covers and I like all three. Wool is pretty awesome!

 

For fitteds I like Sandy's a lot, and the Sbish snapless one size. But I don't really use fitteds too often because they take so long to dry and they tend to get stink issues. I love using flats instead!
 

post #10 of 30

We love fitteds and wool, especially for night time!  Kiwi Pie fitted bamboo diapers are great for absorbency, but still fairly trim.  They are also very stretchy, so they fit well.  I also love my sustainablebabyish snapless fitteds.  For daytime I do like my GMD workhorse fitteds and Mother Ease fitteds.  They're very simple and they work.  My little man runs around the house with just one of those on often when we are at home.  My favorite wool soakers and longies are from Grateful Bunz (etsy shop).  http://www.etsy.com/shop/GratefulBuns  They are more along the thick and bullet proof lines, and made from upcycled sweaters so they are reasonable priced.  Lightweight wool wraps are fine for day time, but I don't like to use them as much for overnight.

post #11 of 30

Wool covers are the only way I can use my huge bulkly prefolds. I hate trying to stuff them in a pul cover. I made some snapless fitted fleece pocket thingies. That way I can pad fold a flat, stick it inside and snappi it on. It washes and dries better that a normal fitted.

post #12 of 30

I see a lot of handknit wool covers. Obviously they are typically cheaper than the big brand machine knit, and even the upcycled sweater kind. Are they as absorbant/reliable?  

post #13 of 30

Having knit and used a lot of soakers and longies, I do not think they are equal to commercially-made or felted wool covers.  I love Disana covers, all around.  Little Spruce Organics has a sale on them presently, buy one get one half off.  I use them day and night, nothing else.
 

I have kissaluvs fitteds and they are great for EBF poo, but I would try something else fitted since the small amount of polyester in them makes them have odor issues now and then.  I presently use and like prefolds and tie nappies.

post #14 of 30

Sbish all the way. For both fitteds and wool.

post #15 of 30

My favorite fitteds and wool covers are from Tiny Birds Organics (now DidadoodleDiaperShop on Etsy).  I've never had a leak even overnight!  I'm not sure how to post a link, but if you go to TinyBirds.com then there is a link to the Etsy shop at the top of the page there.  I noticed on the Facebook page they are doing give-aways for cloth diapers lately too.  Plus the new prices are great.

post #16 of 30

A friend of mine who used cloth exclusively told me that she liked Mother-Ease Sandy's fitteds, because they were very absorbent and easy to adjust on a squirmy baby.  She also liked Aristocrats pull on wool covers, because they lasted a long time. 

 

I rarely hear of anyone using the Aristocrats cover anymore, so I am not sure if they are even made anymore.

post #17 of 30
Wondering if others agree about fitteds getting stink.issues? They are being hang dryed? Is that why? Are there fitted natural material like cotton fitteds that canbe put in the dryer or is it only the prefolds or flats? (not sure if prefold/flat is the same). So does a ritted fit better under the wool cover than a folded up pad like prefold or doubler for more absorbancy? I have no idea, just overwhelmed by what to start with b/c everyone has their own preferences.
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by here we are View Post

Wondering if others agree about fitteds getting stink.issues? They are being hang dryed? Is that why? Are there fitted natural material like cotton fitteds that canbe put in the dryer or is it only the prefolds or flats? (not sure if prefold/flat is the same). So does a ritted fit better under the wool cover than a folded up pad like prefold or doubler for more absorbancy? I have no idea, just overwhelmed by what to start with b/c everyone has their own preferences.

 

The stink issues are with microfiber and polyester blend fabrics. Natural fibers don't hold stink nearly as much. Since I have hard water and an HE washing machine, I've stopped using my microfibers and fleece has been bothering my DD's bum. Microfibers are hard to get clean, so if you have hard water minerals are deposited and don't rinse out completely and HE machines don't use enough water. 

 

I throw everything (except for my Best Bottoms PUL covers) in the dryer, no matter the material. There are all cotton or hemp or other natural fibers like bamboo available. They almost always say whether polyester is knitted into the fabric or if there's a microfiber soaker sewn in. If it doesn't say, I find their Facebook page and ask what the materials they are made out of. Avoiding polyester and microfiber will help with stink emmensely.

 

If you use a cover like Disana's soaker than fitteds work better since they contain all poo better than a prefold - soakers are more baggy. If you use a wrap style wool cover than a folded prefold would work fine, since wraps give a snug fit. 

This page on the Nickis Diaper website gives a good explanation of different types of diapers. The also have wool available (although Etsy is a great place for wool). http://www.nickisdiapers.com/Imagine-Baby-Products_bymfg_89-1-1.html   (not affiliated, I just like the site and their diapers)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdClothBabyLov View Post

My favorite fitteds and wool covers are from Tiny Birds Organics (now DidadoodleDiaperShop on Etsy).  I've never had a leak even overnight!  I'm not sure how to post a link, but if you go to TinyBirds.com then there is a link to the Etsy shop at the top of the page there.  I noticed on the Facebook page they are doing give-aways for cloth diapers lately too.  Plus the new prices are great.

 

I just got a fitted from them and I love it! The organic cotton velour is so soft and its a pink Hello Kitty print! Too cute. Thanks for the recommendation. Great price with their sale going on right now.

post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachiamama View Post

Having knit and used a lot of soakers and longies, I do not think they are equal to commercially-made or felted wool covers.  I love Disana covers, all around.  Little Spruce Organics has a sale on them presently, buy one get one half off.  I use them day and night, nothing else.

 
I have kissaluvs fitteds and they are great for EBF poo, but I would try something else fitted since the small amount of polyester in them makes them have odor issues now and then.  I presently use and like prefolds and tie nappies.
Do you use Disana in the warm weather too? When you say tie nappies, what exactly do you mean?
post #20 of 30

I LOVE BabyKicks one size fitteds. They have a huge range and I love that I can stuff the pocket with whatever i need (they come with hemp insert). I have 15.

I sold my Kissas because I did not like the fit and the wing droop.

 

Wool. I prefer pull on, Eco Posh or Aristocrat

I also like Happy Heint Stacinator side snap and Baby BeeHinds washable wool wraps but they fir small.

 

My daughter's first summer, she got heat rash in PUL cover, but all better in wool because it wicked the moisture out and breathed. The cuffs of her woolies stuck out from her onesies.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Diapering
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Diapering › Favorite fitteds? Favorite wool covers?