or Connect
Mothering › Groups › April 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › April DDC ~ September ~ Chat

April DDC ~ September ~ Chat - Page 7

post #121 of 208
Thread Starter 

Is there more information on belly binding like the method in the video linked? Like instructions or anything? I definitely want to do this. 

post #122 of 208

I'm not saying it's the OB's fault...they didn't design the system.  But they are certainly reaping some benefits of it. LOL  Our whole perception of pregnancy here needs to change, because we can't start approaching it differently on a whole if we keeping thinking that every single pregnancy needs to be micromanaged "just in case."  We already know of all the problems that could have been avoided for so many women had things just been left alone.

 

I agree that there are many wonderful doctors.  I am not a fan of the traditional medical model at all (thank heavens I never finished my nursing degree! LOL), but my FIL has helped me appreciate it much more.  He is a 45+ year MD with so much experience and knowledge (he amazes me...and he's married to an RN turned naturopath...VERY cool combo!), and he cares so much about his patients that I feel sorry for those who will be left when he is gone. :(  Because doctors who put their patients BEFORE the medicine (instead of the other way around) have such a bigger impact on lives.  Just listening to someone and understanding where they are coming from can make a huge difference in treatment, because there are so many answers "below the surface", but that requires too much time, or isn't "scientific" enough for so many doctors.  It just makes me sad.  And frustrated.

post #123 of 208
Thread Starter 

Just came across this and wanted to share. It's about how pregnancy is not an illness and birth is no reason to go to a hospital. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120919083454.htm

post #124 of 208

Tiffany: Google "Bengkung" and information comes up on how to do it. The google images of it are neat. I didn't realize that it went so far down your hips until I saw the images. My friend that is doing it used her own cotton material at first, and then ordered an "official" bengkung wrap from Singapore or somewhere like that.

 

I actually have excellent insurance. Unfortunately, my state does not allow for midwives to practice, so, needless to say, my insurance doesn't cover a midwife. It does cover a hospital birth 100% though. I'm sad and frustrated about this birth because I really wanted to cross the state line and birth at a birth house with a midwife (where it's legal), but no matter how hard I tried, I could not figure out a way to come up with the money. So, it's a hospital birth for me :( It sucks because I had an unplanned unassisted last time and it was soooo great to birth without being strapped to monitors and stuck with an IV needle. I am going to beg my OB to allow my to do intermittent monitoring and no heplock, but I doubt that will fly. I am a VBAC. I have the tiniest little hope that since I have already VBACed once she will "let" me go without all the dumb precautions. I will know next week. If she says no, I might start looking for another doctor.

 

The birth industry in this country is completely backwards and I hate it. 

post #125 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagnew View Post

Tiffany: Google "Bengkung" and information comes up on how to do it. The google images of it are neat. I didn't realize that it went so far down your hips until I saw the images. My friend that is doing it used her own cotton material at first, and then ordered an "official" bengkung wrap from Singapore or somewhere like that.

 

I actually have excellent insurance. Unfortunately, my state does not allow for midwives to practice, so, needless to say, my insurance doesn't cover a midwife. It does cover a hospital birth 100% though. I'm sad and frustrated about this birth because I really wanted to cross the state line and birth at a birth house with a midwife (where it's legal), but no matter how hard I tried, I could not figure out a way to come up with the money. So, it's a hospital birth for me :( It sucks because I had an unplanned unassisted last time and it was soooo great to birth without being strapped to monitors and stuck with an IV needle. I am going to beg my OB to allow my to do intermittent monitoring and no heplock, but I doubt that will fly. I am a VBAC. I have the tiniest little hope that since I have already VBACed once she will "let" me go without all the dumb precautions. I will know next week. If she says no, I might start looking for another doctor.

 

The birth industry in this country is completely backwards and I hate it. 

You have the right to refuse anything you don't want. When you get to the hospital if you don't want an IV just tell them no you do not consent to an IV. They can give you their, well this is our policy, crap. You then tell them that you will not be grouped underneath their umbrella policy and you will sign any refusal form they bring you. Make them get your consent every time they want to do something. You are an adult, paying for a service. If you don't want a particular service just tell them no.

post #126 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgetown HB Mom View Post

You have the right to refuse anything you don't want. When you get to the hospital if you don't want an IV just tell them no you do not consent to an IV. They can give you their, well this is our policy, crap. You then tell them that you will not be grouped underneath their umbrella policy and you will sign any refusal form they bring you. Make them get your consent every time they want to do something. You are an adult, paying for a service. If you don't want a particular service just tell them no.


This, exactly.

post #127 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgetown HB Mom View Post

You have the right to refuse anything you don't want. When you get to the hospital if you don't want an IV just tell them no you do not consent to an IV. They can give you their, well this is our policy, crap. You then tell them that you will not be grouped underneath their umbrella policy and you will sign any refusal form they bring you. Make them get your consent every time they want to do something. You are an adult, paying for a service. If you don't want a particular service just tell them no.

 

Yep. I had a planned natural birth in a hospital setting with my midwife with my 1st son. As soon as I got in this man-looking woman nurse kept trying to put in an IV. I refused again and again. She kept saying "Just in case". Just in case what - she said just in case I needed pain meds. I told her I was planning on no pain meds. She said what about in the case of an emergency? I told her she is a trained nurse who I'm sure can get in an IV pretty quickly in case of an emergency, they do it on ambulances all the time.  Thank God her shift was ending soon, after her I got an amazing nurse.

 

You just gotta stick to your guns and don't let them bully you.

post #128 of 208

I finally got ahold of the OB office! I guess even though they work together, the midwives and the OB don't work in the same place, so she said she would have to have the nurse who did my confirmation fax the paperwork to them, since I had originally said I wanted to work with the midwives, before I knew I couldn't go to them. So she said she would call and have them fax, and then because they are unsure of my dates, she would ask the OB and the nurse whether they want me to do lab work or an ultrasound to confirm due dates and stuff, and would call me back either this afternoon or tomorrow. I'm starting to not feel so nervous about the whole thing, but I'm still concerned that my working and lifting is going to hurt the baby somehow.

post #129 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIFF4NY View Post

Just came across this and wanted to share. It's about how pregnancy is not an illness and birth is no reason to go to a hospital. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120919083454.htm

Thanks for the link! I'd love a home birth this time and I know I'll come across naysayers in the family so this is good.

post #130 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgetown HB Mom View Post

You have the right to refuse anything you don't want. When you get to the hospital if you don't want an IV just tell them no you do not consent to an IV. They can give you their, well this is our policy, crap. You then tell them that you will not be grouped underneath their umbrella policy and you will sign any refusal form they bring you. Make them get your consent every time they want to do something. You are an adult, paying for a service. If you don't want a particular service just tell them no.

Agreed. My last birth was in a hospital and the only "intervention" I had was a PICC line.

post #131 of 208
Thread Starter 

Hello everyone! Hope you are well today. We just got word last night that my BIL and his wife are expecting their first child and they are due in May '13! I'm actually REALLY excited that this little one will have a cousin so close in age. DD and her current cousin (SIL) are 2 weeks short of a year apart. 

 

My brother was an April '77 baby and my cousin was a May '77 baby and they grew up best buddies. I can only hope the same for these two. It totally made my day to hear last night, especially since family members were starting to wonder if they'd ever have kids. ;)

post #132 of 208

Very exciting, Tiffany!

My brother and his wife are expecting, with a due date just 4 days apart from mine, so we'll have cousin buds too.  My younger son has a cousin born a month away.  The due dates were actually really close, but someone came early and someone came late!

 I also like that it diffuses the spotlight a bit.. I hate being the pregnant center of attention in the family!

post #133 of 208
Thread Starter 

I'm very excited about it. The holidays this year will be fun. =) 

post #134 of 208

So where is your fundus at, ladies?  Mine is very obviously midway between my pubic bone and my belly button (and I pick up the HB right there at the top as well now), but it hasn't popped forward yet.  This seems to be "right on" for me as it was at this same place with my last 2 [successful] pregnancies as well.  It'll be nice when it pops forward...I mean, if people think I already look pregnant, at least I can start really looking PREGNANT and not just "maybe chunky, maybe pregnant, can't really tell...".

post #135 of 208

When I was pg with DS1, my SIL was due a week or so after I was. She ended up having her DS the day before I had mine. We don't live near them though so they've only met twice.

 

I'm pretty excited today, because I can feel this little seed moving around! :D I've had some misgivings recently and to feel the baby really puts all that to rest. Is anyone else feeling their little ones?
 

post #136 of 208

Oh I WISH one my sisters were having babies!  But we have big gaps (I'm 5 years older than one and 9 years older than the other) so the middle sister is just getting married this year!  I do have 2 friends due a day before me (!) and another friend due 6 weeks before me, so I'm glad that this baby will have some built-in friends!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post

So where is your fundus at, ladies?  Mine is very obviously midway between my pubic bone and my belly button (and I pick up the HB right there at the top as well now), but it hasn't popped forward yet.  This seems to be "right on" for me as it was at this same place with my last 2 [successful] pregnancies as well.  It'll be nice when it pops forward...I mean, if people think I already look pregnant, at least I can start really looking PREGNANT and not just "maybe chunky, maybe pregnant, can't really tell...".

At my visit on Wednesday (11w5d), my fundus was 2 fingers over the public bone.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_nikki View Post
I'm pretty excited today, because I can feel this little seed moving around! :D I've had some misgivings recently and to feel the baby really puts all that to rest. Is anyone else feeling their little ones?

 

Yes!  I started feeling this little beeb at the end of the 9th week.  In the beginning I only noticed him/her every couple of days or even every few days.  I feel him/her usually about once a day now (12w), but sometimes even twice.

post #137 of 208

I have felt just a couple wiggles too.  Can't wait for them to become more regular! 

 

I am not a fan of being pregnant at the same time as my SIL.  But then again, she's one of those people who's never struggled with anything a day in her life, much less pregnancy.  And she is BY FAR the IL's favorite child, so....yeah.  But each of my children were born within a month or two of my cousins (two of them) children.  We don't live close to them, but they LOOOOOOVE getting together on visits.  So much fun, lots of memories have been (and to be) made.  As for my own siblings, I would be scared if my younger brother (24) started having kids now. LOL  And my sis is only 20 and in college so she's got marriage to deal with first. ;)  Though she "doesn't like kids except mine" so I don't foresee that happening anytime soon. LOL

post #138 of 208
Thread Starter 

I wish I knew how to tell where my fundus is! Any tips would be appreciated. Also, I thought I felt some little bubbles last night but I couldn't be sure if it was the baby or gas. ;)

post #139 of 208

13wk tomorrow, here.  I had some AF-like cramping the other day and it wouldnt go away, I drank lots of water and took a nice nap, but it presisted.  Called the OB and they moved my appointment to Monday (from the following Thursday) but I don't think they are going to do a repeat ultrasound, which wierds me out (I know, backwards for an MDC mama, but I have a 3cm x 9cm Subchrionic Hematoma.) 

I'm not cramping anymore and have not even spotted since my first scary gush @8wk, so I *think* things are ok... I just still have this feeling of impending doom. (this probably due to the sch as well as knowing a very good friend of mine recently had a loss at 15wk, she didn't m/c, she found out at the next appointment that there was no hb. :( )

I wish I could feel baby moving already.

post #140 of 208

I am quite happy and a little less stressed. I have decided on a midwife and will be birthing in the alternative birthing center by me. I'll be paying out of pocket for most of the midwives services as my insurance won't cover it all, but thats okay with me. I'm just glad I have a midwife now and can start having appts.  I have my 1st appt next Weds.

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: April 2013 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › April 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › April DDC ~ September ~ Chat