What are your plans for announcing?
Here are some ideas I've come across online, but we haven't decided what we're going to do yet! I do think if we tell in person, we're going to set up a video camera surreptitiously to capture the reaction.
- At a family gathering, get everyone together to take a group photo. Then instead of you (or your partner) saying "Say cheese!", say "We're pregnant!" Then you snap the photo and have a record of everyone's reactions.
- Announce with your Halloween costume, like this t-shirt.
- Get a children's book and write inside: "Will you please read this to me in May? Love, Your Newborn Grandbaby" (or whatever relation). Then wrap it up like a present and have the family member open it next time you see them! (Found this one here.)
- Stick a hamburger bun in your oven, then when family comes over (especially good for grandmas-to-be!), ask them to do you a favor and check on what's in the oven to see if it's ready. See how long it takes for them to catch on! (Found here.)
- I'm normally a BIG wine drinker. So at the next family gathering, we thought of having one wine bottle and one apple juice bottle out, then filling everyone's glasses with wine and mine with apple juice - then just wait for them to notice!
- This would work best if you don't live close to family: Start talking on the phone over the next couple weeks about how you're planning on doing some redecorating around the house - painting, rearranging furniture, etc. Then when family does make it for a visit, tell them you'd like to get their opinions on the new decor. Take them to where the nursery's going to be, and say: "We were thinking of painting the walls blue or pink, but we won't really be able to decide for a couple more months. What do you think?"
- Play Scrabble and try to play a baby-themed word as often as possible during the game til people catch on.
Any other ideas you've heard for breaking the news?