Originally Posted by buko
I really can't speak to the vaginal septum issue, which may be very significant, for all I know-- but I would be very skeptical of the "small birth canal/pelvis" "diagnosis." It's a common one when inductions fail (and yours failed d/t distress, YK?) Bottom line-- you were induced before your EDD and ended up with a section... exactly like 50% of all first-time moms who are induced. It's an extraordinarily common consequence of such an induction, and usually has little if anything to do with a mother's anatomy, etc.
I'll be honest, I really don't think 12 hours before my EDD makes that much of a difference. We know the EXACT date of conception so we KNOW the dates were right, kwim? My daughter went into distress because the birth canal was too small. Yes, inductions commonly lead into sections there's no denying that. However, my mother and grandmothers had similar problems for similar reasons and I have other body parts (jaw bones) that smaller than the average adult so it wouldn't shock me, kwim? As far as the septum, it could rip while dilating even and cause damage/bleeding or it could stretch enough to completely dilate but it will block baby's passage out the vagina so it must be cut before it rips/baby gets to it.
As for this...
A planned section is safer than an emergency section from a failed VBAC.
I am not sure of this-- at least, I know that, all things being equal, a planned section is absolutely NOT safer than an unplanned section that occurs after labor begins. It would be safer than an emergency section d/t uterine rupture, but the likelihood of that is, AFAIK, about 1/2 of 1%, if you are not induced. (And I'm sure you know that uterine rupture is rarely catastrophic.) The biggest problem with a planned section is iatrogenic prematurity, as baby hasn't indicated his or her "doneness" by natural means.
I know uterine rupture is unlikely, I'm not terribly worried about that. If for some reason I need and induction we will not attempt a VBAC. However, I am blessed with an awesome OB who agrees with most of the crunchy community that most inductions are unnecessary and only suggests them out of actual necessity. I disagree that unplanned sections are just as safe as planned. At that point you have to hope there is an OR available, you have to hope baby hasn't gone into distress, you have to hope for all kinds of things and from personal experience, recovery SUCKS because you're exhausted from labor. A planned section means you know there is an OR available, you know baby isn't going to be in fetal distress, and there is more control over the whole situation. Personally, an unplanned section is more dangerous because I CANNOT have a general anesthesia. It could kill me (essentially the genetic anomaly I referenced is an allergy to general). In an unplanned/emergency situation we'd also have to hope there is enough time to place other means of sedation like an epidural or spinal block and that they're working properly. My biggest concern is definitely that baby wouldn't be 'done' with a planned section. But again, I have an awesome OB and she's willing to let me section as late as 39w5d. While not as perfect as baby indicating doneness, it's closer to EDD than most OB's would allow. However, it's DEFINITELY one of my major deciding factors.
I would really, really do some research and ask some questions on a larger board about this vaginal septum issue. I wish I knew something about it, and whether it's a serious consideration/could seriously complicate things, or if it is a lot of sound and fury over nothing. If it is the former, you might want to go ahead and schedule a RCS, but I'd do it later, rather than earlier. If it's the latter, I don't see anything else that should really prevent you from attempting a VBAC (except for an unsupportive spouse or doctor-- not that they are unsupportive, but IF they are, that will be a big hindrance). As I'm sure you know, a VBAC is significantly safer and healthier overall than a CBAC.
I've been researching the septum since my DD was born three years ago and with the size/location, it's a factor here. Luckily, my OB and partner are supportive because they both feel it's my decision and it's their job to support that decision. DP would prefer I RCS but he has been very clear that's just his opinion (which I asked for) that he reached after doing his own research but he will absolutely support 100% whichever way I decide. In most situations I would absolutely agree that VBACs are better than CBAC but there are factors that need to be considered. I'm afraid I'm so determined to have a VBAC that I'm making a selfish decision and not actively looking at everything involved and not making an objective, informed decision. Does that make sense? That's why I need you ladies - all of you are helping me mull things over and reach a decision I'm 100% comfortable with and sure of either way.