or Connect
Mothering › Groups › May 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › Too early for round ligament pain?

Too early for round ligament pain?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

During a walk this morning, I felt a dull ache in my lower belly, right above where my pelvic area meets my thigh. Just on my right side.

 

The pain persisted throughout the walk, got worse when I went up hills, and has been there off and on all day. It's better when I'm resting, but I can still feel it when sitting.

 

It feels kind of like a pulled muscle.

 

Is this something to be worried about? It vaguely reminds me of round ligament pain, but I didn't have that til much later in my first pregnancy. I've had a miscarriage, and that pain came in waves of horribly painful cramping that brought tears to my eyes. But this isn't cramping - it's an ache. And it isn't anywhere near as painful.

 

Isn't it way too early for round ligament pain?

 

Trying to stay positive and not be too worried...

 

ETA: I'm 6w3d today.

 

Oh my gosh, and I just remembered my partner and I DTD very, very early this morning, and there was a tiny amount of brown spotting after. The spotting stopped right after though, and I haven't had any spotting during this pregnancy so far. I went on the walk and started feeling the pain about 3 hours later.


Edited by snozzberry - 9/15/12 at 3:57pm
post #2 of 25

How are you now?  Brown spotting is usually old blod, not new thumb.gif  I have had quite a bit of it this time round.

post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 

Jacqueline, while dealing with spotting isn't fun and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, at the same time it's nice to know I'm not alone, you know? redface.gif

 

There was a tiny tiny amount of spotting when I went to the bathroom last night, but besides that no more spotting.

 

I found that when I laid on the side of the pain, it went away. This morning, I haven't felt it.

 

I'm going to take it easy today and hope spotting doesn't crop back up. It's hard to skip a walk though because I've already gained 2-3 pounds, and that seems like a lot for this early!

post #4 of 25

Hi Snozzberry!!  Since I'm becoming a kind of unofficial spotting expert eyesroll.gif I just wanted to reassure you that, as Jacqueline says, brown blood is old blood, and there are all kinds of pains going on down there (initially and throughout the pregnancy).  I started up with the spotting again yesterday when I was laid out with a cold, but I reassured myself by noting that my spotting is often scant (and remember, scant is anything less than a flow, i.e., you don't need a pad because it doesn't even show up on your underwear) and, while it does reappear occasionally, it never gets worse.  A m/c might start off as scant spotting but it becomes progressively (if not rather immediately) worse -- so if it is clearing up, that's a sign that it's really nothing to worry about, especially if your pain is going away.

 

My midwife told me that it's really not concerning provided that there's no bright red flow and there's no cramping pains (similar to contractions or intense menstrual pains).  Any other pain-spotting combo is nothing to worry about and can be chalked up to body/cervical/hormonal shifts during pregnancy.

 

I hope you are feeling much better this morning!
 

post #5 of 25

I'm 6w2d (by LMP) and I've had those twinges right about my hip this weekend. My best guess is round ligament, even though it is early. I'm finding that this kind of thing happens earlier with each pregnancy for me, along with the bloat and my belly starting to pop even though my uterus isn't all that big right now. I think sometimes the body just remembers what to do and so does it earlier each time.

post #6 of 25

Snozzberry, I know exactly what you mean winky.gif  It's tough to skip walks, but I am being cautious too.  I usually walk every morning, but when I started with the pains, I started walking slower...might that be a possibility for you?  I was warned by my acupuncturist that walking quickly is not good for the baby because my heart rate may get too high and I have noticed I am a little breathless already with those heart palpitations that are normal for me in pregnancy.  She recommended that if I start having pains, to just go to sleep (she may have meant lie down).  Keep in mind that I am in Japan, and things are different here (plus we have a bit of a language barrier), but I have full trust in my acupuncturist who specializes in pregnancy and babies/children.  The acupuncture has been very successful for me in controlling chronic pain and she says she can treat me for morning sickness, and swelling later.

 

I agree Lynann, it seems like this time around I am definitely popping earlier.  I've had lots of twinges and twangs too, much more early on then the last 2 pregnancies.  I am a little disappointed, I had hoped I wouldn't show so soon since it's been nearly 7 years and I am much healthier then I was at that time!  I am 4w4d by O date, .  Seems like it is WAY to early...

post #7 of 25
Thread Starter 

Thank you, mamas. smile.gif You have made me feel so much better about those pains I was feeling. They are for the most part gone, except when I go up the stairs to my daughter's room, so I've been taking that real slow.

 

Now if only the spotting would go away! crunchybroccoli, thank you for the reminders about what to watch for with spotting. After Saturday morning's roll in the hay redface.gif it's all been brown and scant, and it's only been happening when I go to the bathroom and wipe - once in the morning and one in the evening. Nothing on my undies.

 

I live in a hilly area, so I'm skipping walks for now until the spotting stops too.

 

So I know there's logically nothing to be worried about, but my miscarriage in May started off with spotting 1 week after O and continued throughout until the loss at about 6w2d. So it's hard to shake that memory, you know?

post #8 of 25

Snozzberry, it is totally understandable. With my m/c it started with light brown spotting after DTD which went away after a few days. It was then a whole week before I started bleeding. I've had 2 successful pregnancies since, but I never truly relax into the pregnancy until I get past the point where I had my loss. I also check every time I wipe until I start feeling the baby move around.

 

Be gentle on yourself, and let yourself feel whatever you feel as it may help you process the other loss at the same time as you process this successful pregnancy (because it helps to think positively about this one.)

post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

I'm 6w2d (by LMP) and I've had those twinges right about my hip this weekend. My best guess is round ligament, even though it is early. I'm finding that this kind of thing happens earlier with each pregnancy for me, along with the bloat and my belly starting to pop even though my uterus isn't all that big right now. I think sometimes the body just remembers what to do and so does it earlier each time.

This!! I have been feeling the twinges and pulling too..and I am just 5 weeks 5 days. (((hugs)))

post #10 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

Snozzberry, it is totally understandable. With my m/c it started with light brown spotting after DTD which went away after a few days. It was then a whole week before I started bleeding. I've had 2 successful pregnancies since, but I never truly relax into the pregnancy until I get past the point where I had my loss. I also check every time I wipe until I start feeling the baby move around.

 

Be gentle on yourself, and let yourself feel whatever you feel as it may help you process the other loss at the same time as you process this successful pregnancy (because it helps to think positively about this one.)

 

Thank you Lynann, and hug.gif to all the mamas dealing with former losses and spotting this go-round.

post #11 of 25

Just checking in, Snozzberry: has the spotting gone away completely?  Are you feeling better?

 

For my part, I'm happy to announce that my spotting has been becoming more and more scant (although occasionally more pink than brown, which worried me initially) over the past few days.  Today it seems to be gone completely.  Maybe my cervix is becoming less irritable?!  lol.gif  As I become more irritable?!  Also, my symptoms (like m/s) seem to be getting progressively stronger, so given that I've been spotting since Day 1, this is starting to feel like maybe I can relax a bit more.  Fx! smile.gif
 

post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchybroccoli View Post

Just checking in, Snozzberry: has the spotting gone away completely?  Are you feeling better?

 

For my part, I'm happy to announce that my spotting has been becoming more and more scant (although occasionally more pink than brown, which worried me initially) over the past few days.  Today it seems to be gone completely.  Maybe my cervix is becoming less irritable?!  lol.gif  As I become more irritable?!  Also, my symptoms (like m/s) seem to be getting progressively stronger, so given that I've been spotting since Day 1, this is starting to feel like maybe I can relax a bit more.  Fx! smile.gif
 


It's awesome that the spotting has become more scant!!! That has got to help you breathe a little more freely. smile.gif

 

Thank you for checking in on me...on Tuesday I had a scant amount of brown spotting in the morning, and nothing yesterday, so I was feeling pretty jazzed. Then this morning, I had a small amount of pink spotting. greensad.gif

 

TMI: Yesterday afternoon, my partner and I "played around" for the first time since DTD on Saturday when the spotting happened the first time. We didn't DTD yesterday, but I did have an orgasm. So I'm thinking that orgasms are a no-no for me if I don't want the spotting to happen?

 

I just hate seeing pink down there.

post #13 of 25

I agree, the pink spotting does feel more alarming to me, but it's still considered to be just spotting -- especially if it's scant.  And it very well could be the orgasm -- when I had a little pinkish spotting the other day, it was after straining to go to the bathroom.  I think it just means the cervix was newly "irritated" (or stimulated lol.gif).  So, even though it feels more scary, I don't think it is, necessarily, KWIM?

 

Keep me posted.  We're in this together!!

post #14 of 25
Thread Starter 

I don't wish this on anyone, but it is SO nice having someone else in the DDC who is going through this! Thank you for keeping me sane about this. smile.gif

 

Did your midwife give you any indication of how long this sort of spotting might last? I think I know the answer (it always depends, right?) but just curious what her take was.

 

The thought of not DTD til second trimester as a precautionary measure isn't very appealing... greensad.gif

post #15 of 25

Hey guys, I'm joining you. 

 

I've been spotting since Wed afternoon. Brown old stuff mostly. There have been 2 times were it has been kind of a reddish brown little gush but then it goes back to old brown spotting. I've had a lot of cramping too (though not at the moment). I'm only 19dpo. I POAS stick this morning and I swear it was a tiny bit lighter than the one from a few days ago. It's all really messing with my head. If it's going to be over I want it over. Otherwise I just want the spotting to stop!

 

We haven't DTD since like 9dpo before my bfp.

post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post

I don't wish this on anyone, but it is SO nice having someone else in the DDC who is going through this! Thank you for keeping me sane about this. smile.gif

 

Did your midwife give you any indication of how long this sort of spotting might last? I think I know the answer (it always depends, right?) but just curious what her take was.

 

The thought of not DTD til second trimester as a precautionary measure isn't very appealing... greensad.gif

 

Hi Snozzberry and SilaM--sorry to hear that you're both going through this, as well!

 

My midwife said that usually -- USUALLY -- spotting should stop or seriously reduce by the end of the first trimester, if it is related to hormonal/cervical changes (or progesterone levels) and *not* due to subchrionic hemorrhage or placenta previa or other factors.  This has been the trend for me -- the spotting is slowly, slowwww-ly clearing up.  But, of course, I would think this wouldn't necessarily be true for spotting related to a friable cervix, since presumably the cervix can be re-irritated (by DTD, or BM, or whatever) at any time, right?  However, I did read something online  that said that friable cervix can also sometimes correct itself by end of the first trimester.  So, long story short: it does depend on your particular situation, but there are some general trends you can anticipate.

 

Snozzberry, I agree that total abstinence is a bummer, but again, I would talk to your provider.  If they can help to convince you (as my midwife did for me) that the spotting is unrelated to any kind of danger for the baby, then maybe you will be more "okay" with it?  I have had some spotting with DTD, but it hasn't made it necessarily worse (and, actually, I was anticipating it getting a LOT worse, so it was reassuring...)  FWIW, my midwife actually advised me to go on pelvic rest, not because DTD would be any danger to the baby, but because she didn't want me to get stressed over nothing.  I ended up deciding to stay pelvically "active" lol.gif and just to accept the notion that my normal life is *not* having an impact on this pregnancy, because I am doing everything right and taking the proper precautions, and the spotting is just... spotting.  It's not a m/c.  (Again, not to say I am out of the woods by any means, but just that this current situation -- as it stands -- is not dangerous!!)

 

If I do miscarry, of course I will be devastated, but I will also know that there was nothing I could have done to change the outcome.  Again, I am healthy, I take care of myself, I am trying to be as mentally healthy as possible, and, in my case, spotting is not a danger sign.  If the spotting changes to a bright red flow tomorrow, that is -- of course -- an entirely different situation.  But what are my options now but to stay positive and try to stay mentally healthy?

 

SilaM, I feel for you, my dear.  This is so, so challenging.  Keep us posted about any changes you experience -- we care and we want to support you!

 

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I just needed to write this out so that I continue to believe it.  It matters to me, I think, more than I know that I enjoy and embrace my pregnancy, with all of its downsides and worries and problems.

post #17 of 25
Thread Starter 

SilaMarila, hugs for you as you deal with this. Yes, we just want that spotting to stop!!! I wonder if there's a chant we could all do at the same time? smile.gif

 

crunchybroccoli, thank you for the lengthy post! I've read it twice through now. redface.gif

 

I like your approach to DTD at this stage, and it's something for me to aspire to at this stage. I need to stop being such a nervous nelly and stop thinking this is going to end how it did in May.

 

So I called my dr's office this morning and explained the situation. I asked if I could get an ultrasound to make sure things were progressing as they should. They called another dr's office to fit me in with an ultrasound appointment before lunch, then I had a follow-up with my dr's office after lunch.

 

The result: I'm measuring 7w2d, which is exactly how far along I am based on the date of ovulation. The baby and the sac look exactly as they should. Baby's heartbeat was 153. love.gif

 

The cause of the bleeding could be one of two things:

  • There is a very small area that *could* be a subchorionic hemorrhage, but it was inconclusive. The ultrasound tech said even if it is one, it's very small compared to what she's seen. So that's good, right?
  • I have an irritated spot on my cervix that the doctor said could have been caused by pregnancy hormones or DTD, or both. But she did a pap just to be on the safe side. In the dr's opinion, she said the bleeding looks like it's coming from the cervix.

 

She recommended to hold off on intercourse til my 8-week appt, which is a week from today. Not because it would cause a m/c but because it's just going to cause worry and unnecessary irritation.

 

Then at the next appt, they'll do another ultrasound and check for the hemorrhage thingy-mabob again, and they'll check the state of that irritated spot on my cervix.

 

The summary from the doctor: The ultrasound results looked great, so there's nothing to be worried about right now. Issues like this usually resolve themselves by the end of the first trimester.

 

So...a novel from me too! But I'm happy to see common threads in what our caregivers are telling us! And soooooo happy that my little blueberry has a strong heartbeat! luxlove.gif

post #18 of 25

Snozzberry, so so so relieved and happy for you.  What a blessing to see that heartbeat.  joy.gif

 

For my part, the spotting has been virtually gone for a few days now.  I've been reluctant to actually say so out loud on here because I felt for sure I would jinx it, but your good news gave me hope and I just wanted to share mine too.  I think with the lack of spotting that I am going to try to hold out for the doppler heartbeat at 12 weeks, which is my midwife's preference (although I do think she would let me have an u/s if I was really, really stressing).  But I am so glad that you got one -- it sounds like exactly what you needed and my heart is just bursting to hear that you are feeling hopeful again.  So many hug2.gif!!!

post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post

SilaMarila, hugs for you as you deal with this. Yes, we just want that spotting to stop!!! I wonder if there's a chant we could all do at the same time? smile.gif

 

crunchybroccoli, thank you for the lengthy post! I've read it twice through now. redface.gif

 

I like your approach to DTD at this stage, and it's something for me to aspire to at this stage. I need to stop being such a nervous nelly and stop thinking this is going to end how it did in May.

 

So I called my dr's office this morning and explained the situation. I asked if I could get an ultrasound to make sure things were progressing as they should. They called another dr's office to fit me in with an ultrasound appointment before lunch, then I had a follow-up with my dr's office after lunch.

 

The result: I'm measuring 7w2d, which is exactly how far along I am based on the date of ovulation. The baby and the sac look exactly as they should. Baby's heartbeat was 153. love.gif

 

The cause of the bleeding could be one of two things:

  • There is a very small area that *could* be a subchorionic hemorrhage, but it was inconclusive. The ultrasound tech said even if it is one, it's very small compared to what she's seen. So that's good, right?
  • I have an irritated spot on my cervix that the doctor said could have been caused by pregnancy hormones or DTD, or both. But she did a pap just to be on the safe side. In the dr's opinion, she said the bleeding looks like it's coming from the cervix.

 

She recommended to hold off on intercourse til my 8-week appt, which is a week from today. Not because it would cause a m/c but because it's just going to cause worry and unnecessary irritation.

 

Then at the next appt, they'll do another ultrasound and check for the hemorrhage thingy-mabob again, and they'll check the state of that irritated spot on my cervix.

 

The summary from the doctor: The ultrasound results looked great, so there's nothing to be worried about right now. Issues like this usually resolve themselves by the end of the first trimester.

 

So...a novel from me too! But I'm happy to see common threads in what our caregivers are telling us! And soooooo happy that my little blueberry has a strong heartbeat! luxlove.gif



Oh, and I just wanted to add that I think that, if you do end up with a subchrionic hemorrhage, that it's usually nothing to worry about (from what I've read) -- provided it is small.  And it would be a totally reasonable explanation for the spotting.  And, to reassure you even further -- my midwife said the exact same thing about the location of the bleeding: that it was coming from the cervix, not from inside the cervix, and that that was very reassuring to her (and reassuring for me to hear).  Keep the faith!!! thumb.gif

post #20 of 25

Snozzberry, glad to hear the u/s went so well! I wish I was far enough along that I could see something if I got an u/s...

 

I appreciate you guys sharing all the info from your midwives/drs. It's helpful, though not totally reassuring.

 

I think you are all a few weeks ahead of me. When did you start spotting?

 

I don't want to jinx myself either, but I haven't had any spotting today. But I'm feeling a little crampy again. Hoping it's just "normal" pregnancy cramping.

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: May 2013 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › May 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › Too early for round ligament pain?