(sorry, this is long but I really need to just write it all down to clarify in my head what I want to do) OK, so my hubby and I met yesterday with the OB. I am SOOO conflicted on this. I'm being seen by 3 amazing midwives who are very supportive of a VBA2C and this OB as well as another in town are supportive of it too BUT they do have to do due diligence and explain the consequences. So he's not really MY ob per se, but he's a referral as anyone doing any VBAC in town has to get a sign off by an OB to say that there are no medical reasons to indicate a repeat c-section is necessary.
First baby was 17 hrs in labour, stalled at 7 cm for a good 7-8 hours and when we arrived at the hospital (had been trying for a homebirth), our daughter was in major distress. It was very scary, very tough and go, and she ended up in ICU for 10 days due to incredibly low pH, seizures, ceasing to breathe (multiple times), and while this didn't play a part, her heart is on the opposite side of her chest which required many a follow up to ensure proper function in the first few months. She is fine now, no complications, no problems, but it was a huge wake-up call in the beginning b/c I realized that regardless of how well my intentions are to have a homebirth, she definitely needed to come out via section and probably should have come out hours earlier to minimize the impacts of the last few hours of labour on her. I am incredibly grateful to the team at the hospital who saved her life and got her the care she needed in those first few days as we were scared out of our minds for the first 72 hrs as there were times where her life was literally in the balance.
Second baby was about a week past my dates at an attempted VBAC but a biophysical ultrasound showed 1% amniotic fluid which resulted in a last minute c-section. He was great when he arrived, no complications, but a birth with such low fluid levels would have been near impossible as even pockets of fluid on the ultrasound were non-existant.
So, now here we are with #3 and I have an OB who, while he has said it is 100% my decision on going with a natural birth and he will sign off on it no problem, he does have concerns as 1) it's a VBA2C and chances of rupture while still under 1% are still greater than with a first time birth or a VBAC. 2) I've never had a "successful" labour and birth and it's not entirely known why I stalled out for so long at 7 cm b/c notes from that birth are sketchy so while he isn't saying it's not possible to have a vaginal delivery, he just had more concerns because I've had so much trouble with previous my previous babies.
He went ahead and scheduled the section to simply book it so that there was a time set aside. I can cancel it over the phone at anytime if I want to, he just wanted to make sure it was booked. He would prefer to not see me go past my dates as babies do get bigger (duh) and the integrity of the uterus and fluid levels also reduce the longer I go (again, duh). So, October 24 is the section date he scheduled which is about 10 days prior to my dates, which is a "normal" time to schedule a section if it is planned.
So here is where the conflict is:
1) While it is fear based, I am now really wrestling with the thought of a section. Before the last few weeks, I was dead set against it - wanted a natural birth more than anything. But I do look at the (albeit small) chances of uterine rupture, complications for baby, and complications for me and have a twinge of fear go through me. I would say I"m 50/50 on whether or not I want a natural birth now.
2) My husband would prefer a section. He will 100% support me but if he had to make the choice, he would go with a section.
3) The statute in Ontario is a 30 minute window that if a woman needs an emergency section, it has to be provided in an OR within 30 minutes. BUT, as the ob says, 30 minutes is way past when a baby can be born after uterine rupture without complications. It's more like minutes as what happens with rupture, is the baby is born into the abdominal cavity and she can't breathe which will inevitably lead to brain injury or even worse death. I realize that the chance of rupture is so low (less than 1%) but I can't just ignore the fact that there is a possibility of it all.
I realize none of you can make the decision for me and unless someone has been in this situation, it's hard to give advice. Cripes, my mind changed on this in the last 3 weeks and I always said that if I got pregnant again (after my second) I would still go for a VBAC. But now that I'm 5 or 6 weeks away, I'm starting to question whether or not it's the right decision. I suppose because I have never shown any indication of going into labour until a week after my dates that I wonder whether or not it's something I should try. I did say to my husband that if we were 7 days past we would do a section....and now I'm thinking well the chances of that happening are pretty good anyhow, so maybe just schedule the section on the 24th and go with it. :( But another part of me still wants the experience of a natural birth. To have that connection with my baby and to do what millions of other women around the world have done many a time over.
So, that's my story. Thanks for listening! I still am not sure what to do although I do have to make a decision asap as they will happily hold the section date for me but rightfully so if I don't want to have one, it should be opened up for another mom. :)