I have made it before but did it without a recipe and can't remember how I did it. If I'm going to take all that time I'd like to go with something tried and true. Thanks!
- categoryNutrition Good Eating
Related Forum Threads
- BPA free pressure canning Last post on 5/13/13 at 9:57pm in Nutrition and Good Eating
- gluten free egg free bread Last post on Today at 7:13 am in Nutrition and Good Eating
- GAPS friendly cheesecake anyone? Last post on 5/13/13 at 7:56am in Nutrition and Good Eating
- Blooming Garlic Mustard Recipes? Last post on 5/8/13 at 8:42am in Nutrition and Good Eating
- My first batch of Sauerkraut Last post on 5/6/13 at 11:43am in Nutrition and Good Eating
Guest Blogger Patty James on Eating the Rainbow
Edited on 3/15/13
- Obese Parents, Obese Children = A Big Fat Problem in AmericaEdited on 3/13/13
- La petit gourmandEdited on 3/6/13
- Feeding Your Children Part V: Practical TipsEdited on 2/27/13
- Eat Your Brussels SproutsEdited on 3/7/13
Please give me your favorite homemade chicken (or turkey) pot pie recipepost #1 of 59/18/12 at 10:05amThread Starterpost #2 of 59/19/12 at 10:26amThread Starterpost #3 of 59/19/12 at 1:19pm
I love the one from my CI cookbook. I've been making it for years and it is a family favorite.
I did a quick search and found it on this blog (and for the record, I have no affiliation, I was just looking to see if I could find it already written up somewhere!).
A few other things:
It is great with chicken or with turkey. I usually use leftover roasted meat or boneless thighs rather than breast (and it saves a little prep time with the leftover already cooked meat).
The sherry in the filling is key to the flavor - so good!
I use non hydrogenated palm shortening (Spectrum) in the crust for the 'shortening' portion. I have also used (homemade, pastured) lard or coconut oil and both work - though coconut oil melts fast so I usually have to chill the dough a little more before rolling/baking.
It does take some time to put this together but to save time you can make the filling and the dough earlier in the day, then just assemble and bake for dinner.
I have also made the crust with a GF flour mix (I like Pamela's) and it works pretty well!
Hmn.....I think I'll have to make one soon - now I am craving pot pie! My 2yo loves it so much - she'll chant 'pot pie! pot pie!' lol
post #4 of 59/22/12 at 11:55amThread Starterpost #5 of 510/14/12 at 6:30pm
I don't follow a recipe, but here is my basic process:
Potatoes, about 2 or 3, depending on how big they are, diced. (peeled if they are thick-skineed)
Carrots, 3 or 4, depending on how big they are, peeled and sliced
Medium onion, chopped rather finely
Celery, 1 or 2 stalks, chopped
Salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, and parsley to taste
Saute the above in about 3 TB of butter, until veggies begin to soften. Add the following:
Cooked chicken, shredded or chopped, depending on your taste, about 1 or 2 cups
Cream of chicken, mushroom, or celery soup (I prefer Pacific brand, or I make my own)
Chicken broth (not more than about 1 cup, to your taste)
Bring to a low boil, and simmer until veggies are nearly cooked, about 10-15 minutes. While veggies are cooking, line a pie plate with crust. (I actually use a 10" round stone pan). When they are done, pour mixture into bottom crust, cover with the top crust, and put into oven. Bake at 350* F for about 30-45 minutes, until crust is golden, and filling is bubbly. I always put a baking sheet under my pan just in case it bubbles over.
If there is more filling than the container will hold, I enjoy it for lunch the following day.
- Please give me your favorite homemade chicken (or turkey) pot pie recipe
- Obese Parents, Obese Children = A Big Fat Problem in America
- › Anyone Else Feeling Movement? 59 seconds ago
- › new to breastfeeding.. 2 minutes ago
- › worries cropping up again 4 minutes ago
- › Weekly Chat - May 7 to May 13 4 minutes ago
- › Petrified of giving birth this time around 6 minutes ago
- › A Saner TTC-The Pink Moon 6 minutes ago
- › Is Anyone Else Feeling Lonely? 7 minutes ago
- › Red Raspberry Leaf Tea tribe 11 minutes ago
- › transgender sleepover? 12 minutes ago
- › Look how cute the May 2013 DDC babies are! 13 minutes ago
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › Charlie Banana Reusable Feminine Pads Liner Butterfly, Butterfly by Chapsie
- › Earth Mama-Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm, 2 fl oz (60 ml) by Chapsie
- › Econobum Individual by Chapsie
- › EnJoye LBI Deluxe Tote Set - Brown by JennaRose
- › Lusa Organics Booty Balm by emkassu
- › I Took the Moon for a Walk by Melanie Mayo
- › BabyKicks Premium Pocket Diaper by KirstenP
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions - Sustainability Oak... by JenniO11
- › Terms and Conditions - Mothering... by JenniO11