I have made it before but did it without a recipe and can't remember how I did it. If I'm going to take all that time I'd like to go with something tried and true. Thanks!
- categoryNutrition Good Eatingtagged by System, 9/18/12
Related Forum Threads
- Any Grain free/Paleo Momma's out there?? Last post on Yesterday at 6:26 pm in Nutrition and Good Eating
- Beans + tomatoes (acid) - yes or no? Last post on Yesterday at 9:23 am in Nutrition and Good Eating
- Just try out marble chocolate bread Last post on Yesterday at 12:32 am in Nutrition and Good Eating
- Holiday Cookies 2013! Last post on 11/28/13 at 8:01pm in Nutrition and Good Eating
- Thankful to be a farmer Last post on 11/28/13 at 2:45pm in Nutrition and Good Eating
Guest Blogger Patty James on Eating the Rainbow
Last edited: 3/15/13
- Obese Parents, Obese Children = A Big Fat Problem in AmericaLast edited: 3/13/13
- La petit gourmandLast edited: 3/6/13
- Feeding Your Children Part V: Practical TipsLast edited: 2/27/13
- Eat Your Brussels SproutsLast edited: 3/7/13
Please give me your favorite homemade chicken (or turkey) pot pie recipepost #1 of 59/18/12 at 10:05amThread Starterpost #2 of 59/19/12 at 10:26amThread Starterpost #3 of 59/19/12 at 1:19pm
I love the one from my CI cookbook. I've been making it for years and it is a family favorite.
I did a quick search and found it on this blog (and for the record, I have no affiliation, I was just looking to see if I could find it already written up somewhere!).
A few other things:
It is great with chicken or with turkey. I usually use leftover roasted meat or boneless thighs rather than breast (and it saves a little prep time with the leftover already cooked meat).
The sherry in the filling is key to the flavor - so good!
I use non hydrogenated palm shortening (Spectrum) in the crust for the 'shortening' portion. I have also used (homemade, pastured) lard or coconut oil and both work - though coconut oil melts fast so I usually have to chill the dough a little more before rolling/baking.
It does take some time to put this together but to save time you can make the filling and the dough earlier in the day, then just assemble and bake for dinner.
I have also made the crust with a GF flour mix (I like Pamela's) and it works pretty well!
Hmn.....I think I'll have to make one soon - now I am craving pot pie! My 2yo loves it so much - she'll chant 'pot pie! pot pie!' lol
post #4 of 59/22/12 at 11:55amThread Starterpost #5 of 510/14/12 at 6:30pm
I don't follow a recipe, but here is my basic process:
Potatoes, about 2 or 3, depending on how big they are, diced. (peeled if they are thick-skineed)
Carrots, 3 or 4, depending on how big they are, peeled and sliced
Medium onion, chopped rather finely
Celery, 1 or 2 stalks, chopped
Salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, and parsley to taste
Saute the above in about 3 TB of butter, until veggies begin to soften. Add the following:
Cooked chicken, shredded or chopped, depending on your taste, about 1 or 2 cups
Cream of chicken, mushroom, or celery soup (I prefer Pacific brand, or I make my own)
Chicken broth (not more than about 1 cup, to your taste)
Bring to a low boil, and simmer until veggies are nearly cooked, about 10-15 minutes. While veggies are cooking, line a pie plate with crust. (I actually use a 10" round stone pan). When they are done, pour mixture into bottom crust, cover with the top crust, and put into oven. Bake at 350* F for about 30-45 minutes, until crust is golden, and filling is bubbly. I always put a baking sheet under my pan just in case it bubbles over.
If there is more filling than the container will hold, I enjoy it for lunch the following day.
- Obese Parents, Obese Children = A Big Fat Problem in America
- › Low supply - What helped you? 1 minute ago
- › How many have gotten a girl DTD the day before O? 3 minutes ago
- › What is my baby trying to tell me?! 3 minutes ago
- › The "Progressing / Positive / Impending / I'm in Labor" Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Cycle troubles. 14 minutes ago
- › Homebirth midwives in Northeast/Central Wisconsin 18 minutes ago
- › Are you a product of a SAH parent? 25 minutes ago
- › Pregnancy Symptoms 26 minutes ago
- › Toys and games 30 minutes ago
- › December (already!) chat 32 minutes ago
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Bamboletta Doll by sleeping mama
- › Melissa & Doug Cutting Food Box by ahilal
- › Prince Lionheart Whirl Balance Scooter, Natural/Pink by Melanie Mayo
- › Elves and Angels Sylvie's Wood Kitchen by Melanie Mayo
- › Natural Earth Paints Face Paint by Melanie Mayo
- › Glob Greeting Card Collage Kit with Seedpaper by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Monica S
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo
- › 21 Toys Under $21 | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo
- › Toys to Splurge On | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo