We most definitely see a difference with my daughter's activity level and emotional regulation when she eats sugar-- especially high fructose corn syrup but also white sugar, honey, maple syrup, some sweet fruit (especially juices) etc-- as well as artificial colors and some preservatives. We try to stick with "real food" as much as possible. Today she had a chocolatey treat at school for someone's birthday and she had crazy uncontrollable energy and was a bit of an emotional wreck for the rest of the evening. She can also have an issue with simple carbs (white bread, plain crackers, etc)-- she responds just like to sugar unless she is eating it with something else, like cheese or peanut butter.
- categoryHealth Healing
Related Forum Threads
- whats the best elderberry syrup brand? Last post on Today at 6:11 pm in Health and Healing
- Random nighttime vomiting + swollen, puffy face/abdomen in 11-year-old Last post on Today at 6:42 am in Health and Healing
- Does anyone have AVIVA ROMM'S respiratory immune tonic recipe? Last post on Today at 7:17 am in Health and Healing
- Orthokeratology for Children Last post on 5/19/13 at 10:52pm in Health and Healing
- Fevers: Is it normal for my dd to get fevers within 3 weeks of each other? Last post on Yesterday at 10:14 am in Health and Healing
Can food, diet change, nutrition help diminish Autism, ADD symptoms in children? If so, please help! - Page 2
Autism Diets: Not Rocket Science
Both scientific research and extensive anecdotal parent reports (also science!) overwhelming support using Food and Nutrition choices to help affect the health, cognition, and behavior of children with ASD, ADHD, and other developmental disorders.
While there are varied dietary approaches, it's important to understand the no "autism diets" were created for autism - all are being adapted to specific healing applications. Thus, it's quite important to understand the bigger picture of why to follow a specialized diet, how to discern which approach your child will best benefit from, and how to ensure good nutrition and make it work for you.
Don't let anyone convince you that random/haphazard food choices are better for your child than strategic/calculated. Because they just don't know, or are inadvertently rewarded for your NOT succeeding, too many practitioners are telling parents to deny their instincts and not care what they feed their children (even when the child overly exhibits a food related symptom). Use your intuition.
Here are two FREE resources on this - Parents Guide to Using Food and Nutrition to Help Children with Autism, by Julie Matthews, author of Nourishing Hope for Autism. http://NourishingHope.com/pdfs/FoodAndNutritionForAutism_ParentsGuide.pdf and...
Scientifically referenced and straightforward published article... "Autism Diets: Not Rocket Science" http://docs.google.com/a/nourishinghope.com/viewer?url=http://nourishinghope.com/resources/AutismFile_AutismDietsNotRocketScience.pdf
No matter what your position regarding the causation of this epidemic, it is indisputable that some positive and healthful trajectory exists for every child. Step 1 is understanding that mind/body/behavior are connected, then...take charge of inputs (i.e. food), and continue your education on how to affect healing for these children. Parents, physicians, and therapists around the world are discovering this and making tremendous strides.
May you make the most of this approach...
I'm reading the GAPS book, and it is amazing. I have learned so much. Please read this book first. I don't have an autistic child, but she did have eczema and I have some other mild issues that might be helped by the diet. I am considering doing it, but want to read the whole book first.
- Can food, diet change, nutrition help diminish Autism, ADD symptoms in children? If so, please help!
- › Food cravings? Food Aversions? 33 seconds ago
- › Help! I can't decide if I should do an Unassisted Childbirth at home. 2 minutes ago
- › Suddenly very clingy 17 month old 8 minutes ago
- › Anybody here planning a homebirth? 13 minutes ago
- › Natural parenting pediatrician in NYC ? 18 minutes ago
- › May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! 25 minutes ago
- › Win a Complete Homeschool Curriculum from Oak Meadow!! 26 minutes ago
- › weekly thread May 20-26 29 minutes ago
- › Taking The Scenic Route to a BFP - Winter/Spring 2013 Edition 38 minutes ago
- › ~+~+~+~+~ May 2013 Chat *~*~*~*~* 41 minutes ago
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Lansinoh 20435 Breastmilk Storage Bags, 25-Count Boxes (Pack of 3) by KaliShanti
- › Medela Pump and Save Storage Bags- 20-count by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by KaliShanti
- › Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT BPA Free Natural Polypropylene Bottles by KaliShanti
- › Gilligan & O'Malley® Womens Full Sling Long Nursing Tank by KaliShanti
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by VKHarberRYT
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo