I just think my two year old daughter had a febrile seizure. She was running a fever last night. She has never really been sick or had much of a fever. Her temperature got as high as 102.9 last. I didn't give her anything for it because she didn't seem to be in any distress, not fussy, a little clingy, but drinking and nursing. Seemed fine. I had decided to react if it got any higher but it didn't .
We dozed off and went to sleep when her temperature was down to 101.6. I woke up to her kind of quivering in my back. She was arching her arms and legs back and quivering. I am not sure how long this was going on before I woke up, but I am a pretty light sleeper so it couldn't have been but moments. She started wimpering and crying just a little, kinda scared/startled, but nursed and went back to sleep. She was pretty disoriented for a minute. The strange thing is that her temperature when I took it was 98.9 when I measured it after she calmed down.
I am pretty sure that this was a febrile seizure. Now hear me out before you throw me under the delinquent parent bus. I know I coulda/shoulda have gone to the ER, but I don't want to go for them run hours and hours worth of tests to tell me to observe her and send me home. I am not oppesed to medical care, but I am opposed to unnecessary medical care. She is unvaccinated also so I am cautious about going because they are probably going to want to run every test under the sun.
She seems fine. Comfortable. Still wanting to nurse, She smiled said night.night and went back to sleep. I can't see dragging out a comfortable sleeping child out in the middle of the night. Not worried, the "fit" just seems a little odd after the temperature dropped. The bed was still hot underneath her so I am guessing that i just dropped faster than her nervous system liked/could handle. Any input?
- categoryHealth Healingtagged by System, 9/21/12
Related Forum Threads
- hope this helps Last post on 3/13/14 at 12:43pm in Women's Health
- Gallstones and pregnancy Last post on 3/11/14 at 9:16am in Women's Health
- Would this pic concern you or is this a lighting/angle issue Last post on 3/5/14 at 6:37pm in Women's Health
- Need Answers. Last post on 3/10/14 at 4:39pm in Women's Health
- Inner Vibration in arms, and muscle Twitching. Scared Last post on 3/4/14 at 8:23am in Women's Health
3 Family-Tested Secrets to Not Getting Sick
Last edited: 1/2/14
- Thanks for Thinking Pink, Hollywood, Now How About Kids with Cancer?Last edited: 11/2/13
- The Crunchy Mom’s Guide to Working with Your PediatricianLast edited: 10/25/13
- An asthma epidemic and a climate crisisLast edited: 10/31/12
- Mood NeurotransmittersLast edited: 6/27/11
Can a febrile seizure happen as/after the fever "breaks"?post #1 of 39/21/12 at 2:10amThread Starterpost #2 of 39/23/12 at 8:25pm
I think with febrile seizures, the time to be concerned is when you see a longer seizure; I would start heading to the er at 5 minutes. Some illnesses like bacterial meningitis can cause febrile seizures and the er is more likely to test for that. To test for meningitis, it requires a spinal tap. Probably also do a blood test to rule out other possible illness causing. I do not think they would test for epilepsy unless, your dd has more seizures.
Hospital is unnecessary for simple seizure, but I would contact pedi the next day to inform them of her symptoms.
Hope your dd is feeling better.post #3 of 39/25/12 at 9:42am
My son was more likely to get a febrile seizure from a low temperature fever than a high one. Going up to 99 was all it needed. Then other times he had higher fevers but no seizures. I brought him to the ER with the first one, but they pretty much sent us home with Tylenol and antibiotics (without even knowing what was wrong) and made the whole thing seem unimportant, so I never brought him in again. I don't think he's had a fever in a couple years, I hope he grew out of the seizures by now.
- Thanks for Thinking Pink, Hollywood, Now How About Kids with Cancer?
- › The Fertility Challenged One Thread - Spring 2014 2 minutes ago
- › heyo! from Rhode Island 4 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread~*~ March 2014 8 minutes ago
- › Birth/body preparation tips and ideas 10 minutes ago
- › Pregnancy Photo Contest Sponsored by Sacred Pregnancy, Nordic... 15 minutes ago
- › Possibly a stupid question from a newbie about cloth stash 17 minutes ago
- › So Thirsty all of the sudden! 34 minutes ago
- › Pfizer Tracking Unvaccinated Children Through Health Insurance 35 minutes ago
- › Birth is Birth is Birth 36 minutes ago
- › another star publicly refuses to vaccinate and they skewer her in... 41 minutes ago
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › Low Prep Art Projects for Kids by AmandaK
- › 8 Ways Natural Birth Helps With Breastfeeding by Sarah Clark
- › Probiotics and Your Little Ones by JenniO11
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild