or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › What tests does your midwife really insist on?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What tests does your midwife really insist on? - Page 2

post #21 of 29

Good luck, Boomer! I noticed you said at one point that there is so much to read up on, which is so true - it feels a little overwhelming this first time around, doesn't it? At least for those of us who actually want to be informed. :)

 

I don't know your exact financial situation aside from that you're using Medicaid, but I wonder if maybe an option for you would be to find a homebirth midwife who was willing to just do some prenatal visits with you. Our midwives divide up their charges into prenatal care ($1500) and the birth itself ($2500). This is Seattle, which is often more expensive than many other places in the country, but I imagine it's possible many midwives consider the actual birth to be the most expensive part. Our insurance actually covers office visits with our midwives, but not the home birth part (we are just lucky enough to be able to afford paying out of pocket for it). I have no idea how Medicaid works like this, but I wonder if 1) it's possible it might cover your prenatal care with a homebirth midwife, even if you have the baby in a hospital, or 2) maybe you could find a homebirth midwife who was willing to charge you a slow/sliding-scale fee for at least a few prenatal appointments, so you could go see someone who would actually spend time with you and give you a better opportunity to be informed. You could schedule them before your regular doctor's appointment, so that you could essentially go in to those already knowing what you needed to know (or skip them entirely?), and feeling more confident in declining tests you don't want. wink1.gif

 

I have no idea if that would help you, but for my personality, it definitely helps me to be able to talk things over with someone who is knowledgeable and who I trust. smile.gif

post #22 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatechip View Post

Good luck, Boomer! I noticed you said at one point that there is so much to read up on, which is so true - it feels a little overwhelming this first time around, doesn't it? At least for those of us who actually want to be informed. :)

 

I don't know your exact financial situation aside from that you're using Medicaid, but I wonder if maybe an option for you would be to find a homebirth midwife who was willing to just do some prenatal visits with you. Our midwives divide up their charges into prenatal care ($1500) and the birth itself ($2500). This is Seattle, which is often more expensive than many other places in the country, but I imagine it's possible many midwives consider the actual birth to be the most expensive part. Our insurance actually covers office visits with our midwives, but not the home birth part (we are just lucky enough to be able to afford paying out of pocket for it). I have no idea how Medicaid works like this, but I wonder if 1) it's possible it might cover your prenatal care with a homebirth midwife, even if you have the baby in a hospital, or 2) maybe you could find a homebirth midwife who was willing to charge you a slow/sliding-scale fee for at least a few prenatal appointments, so you could go see someone who would actually spend time with you and give you a better opportunity to be informed. You could schedule them before your regular doctor's appointment, so that you could essentially go in to those already knowing what you needed to know (or skip them entirely?), and feeling more confident in declining tests you don't want. wink1.gif

 

I have no idea if that would help you, but for my personality, it definitely helps me to be able to talk things over with someone who is knowledgeable and who I trust. smile.gif

 

Thank you, Chocolatechip! BTW, Seattle is amazing! I LOVE the natural beauty that surrounds it! :)

 

I did consider a home birth but unfortunately we can't afford it. I believe Medicaid covers prenatal appointments and care (maybe not everything, I'm not completely sure) but not the birth itself. We still have some debt that needs to be paid first. Otherwise it just piles up and can get out of control. Did I say how much I hate debt? :)

 

I could probably skip all visits and just show up at any hospital when in labor. But, at least here in IL, the baby is then treated like possibly having everything wrong with him (as far as GD, GBS, HIV, etc.). A lot of checks, tests and blood draws. Obviously I can't let that happen.

 

I'm searching for some alternative books and can't wait to read them.

post #23 of 29

Well GOOD LUCK. (there needs to be something like a little cheerleader smiley smile.gif)

 

And I can totally understand not wanting the baby to be treated like it has a bunch of diseases. It really is too bad that hospitals make the assumption that things are going to go wrong. But then, they spend a lot of time dealing with things-gone-wrong, so maybe that's partly why!

 

I do love Seattle. I do miss the sunshine in the winter (I'm a California girl, originally), but I'm learning that with a trip to a sunny place in early spring, it makes getting through the grey days much easier. smile.gif

post #24 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatechip View Post

Well GOOD LUCK. (there needs to be something like a little cheerleader smiley smile.gif)

 

And I can totally understand not wanting the baby to be treated like it has a bunch of diseases. It really is too bad that hospitals make the assumption that things are going to go wrong. But then, they spend a lot of time dealing with things-gone-wrong, so maybe that's partly why!

 

I do love Seattle. I do miss the sunshine in the winter (I'm a California girl, originally), but I'm learning that with a trip to a sunny place in early spring, it makes getting through the grey days much easier. smile.gif

 

Thank you chocolatechip! hug2.gif

 

Oh yes, the grey part of the year.  It's often sunny here in the winter, but soooo cold you don't really want to go outside. And then the sun burns your eyes reflecting from the snow when you can go outside (still frickin cold). :)

post #25 of 29
Thread Starter 

So I guess I'm being oficially kicked out. bag.gif The midwives are really nice, but the OB has his own rules and ways that the midwives may not always agree with. He will probably have a problem with the fact I don't want to drink glucola (I want to eat real food instead) and he may have an even bigger problem with me not wanting them to use the doppler at every visit (I did agree to 2 more us - just for their use). They do not have a fetoscope on hand, neither does most of the staff know how to use one (the midwife I spoke with knew though). This is getting crazy. I wish I could just sign a waiver for certain things... I thought midwives are more open to the alternatives but I guess they have their hands tied when they work for an OB. shrug.gif

post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer78 View Post

I thought midwives are more open to the alternatives but I guess they have their hands tied when they work for an OB. shrug.gif

 

 

That is exactly it. They ARE limited to the OBs policies, this is not their own practice. Most practices that have an OB and MWs have OB centered care and then the "token" MWs to draw in more natural minded moms. The OB will outrank the MWs, more then likely it is really his/her practice and then MWs work for the OB. This model will operate different then a MW that practices independently, and not all MWs that are independent are willing to do things out the box. Yes, there is a greater number of them then traditional OBs, but other may feel really limited by insurance, liability and other issues. 

post #27 of 29

So does that mean you are going to be basically opting out of care until it's birth time? Just curious. smile.gif Sorry it came down to this!

post #28 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatechip View Post

So does that mean you are going to be basically opting out of care until it's birth time? Just curious. smile.gif Sorry it came down to this!

 

They wouldn't deliver my baby since I don't want to follow their rules during pregnancy. I have to try and find a new provider. There is a chance they'd keep me but, talking to the midwife, she kind of suggested I don't deliver with them because of their somewhat strict rules (some) that I may not be happy about (she isn't thrilled with all herself). Because I don't want to stress about what's going to happen when due date approaches I really need to start looking again.

post #29 of 29

my midwife is requiring all the initial bloodwork and 22 week U/S. I explained to her that I am paying out of pocket and I only wanted the CBC for iron levels, etc and she informed me that in our state all STD testing is required but I later found out that isnt true, I did my research.  I also opted out of the pap smear exam too, she didnt seem happy and stated we will talk about it at the next appt, I already have high blood pressure and I dont want to stress over this, my body,my right to opt out of testing if I choose, unless ofcourse she wants to pay for it ;)  Sorry boomer you have to go through this, hopefully it will all work out for you.  Its sad that woman have to sometimes opt out of care because of a set of rules that need to be followed...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: I'm Pregnant
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › What tests does your midwife really insist on?