This is just out of curiosity. This topic is being discussed on another forum that I follow, and I'm just curious is anyone has attended a UC in the role of a doula. I know that most certifying agencies forbid this kind of support since there is no medical professional present and the doula shouldn't be asked to assume that role. But, according to the people on this particular thread, there is a want and need for doula support for those who choose UC. I am not necessarily planning on working at a UC birth, but was just curious if anyone had and how you handled the contract part of it. Did you use your regular contract or make one specifically for this situation. TIA!
Related Forum Threads
- New Low Cost Doula in Sullivan County, Delaware County, NY and Wayne County, PA Last post on 6/7/13 at 6:13am in Doulas
- Any tips to quickly boost business? (Husband out of work) Last post on 6/12/13 at 9:43am in Doulas
- Certified vs. uncertified Last post on 5/30/13 at 7:16am in Doulas
- Doula work overseas Last post on 5/10/13 at 6:01pm in Doulas
- New Here! Last post on 5/9/13 at 11:35pm in Doulas
Working at a UC?
I've done this as a doula. I had a contract with the family that stated that I was their doula and was not assuming the role of midwife.
I personally wouldn't do it, but I am also a nurse and I would be afraid of the appearance of violating scope of practice. Contract or no, to an outsider it still looks like you are a practitioner at the birth if you are the only person attending who has any kind of training. For me all it would take is a third party who hears about the situation, and decides to report me as attending a birth to the state board of nursing. I would have a lot of questions to answer, and I don't know how much a doula contract would actually factor in.
If you don't have any other medical licenses to protect, I'm not sure if anything really could happen. But how will you handle the situation if something goes wrong? What is the parents' back-up plan in case of emergency?
- › Need advice about my son becoming an Architect 1 minute ago
- › angry 4yr old 2 minutes ago
- › First foster placement - Need support/encouragment 5 minutes ago
- › Spotting and really scared 6 minutes ago
- › June 2013 chat thread - 2nd trimester here we come! 6 minutes ago
- › Belly shots 6 minutes ago
- › sensitized 7.5-year-old: how do we both heal and promote resilience? 7 minutes ago
- › wheat belly 10 minutes ago
- › What's the best book you've read this year? 22 minutes ago
- › Queer parents 22 minutes ago
- › Earth Mama Body Butter - 8oz by fayebond
- › Maclaren Beginning Travel Kit for Mother by fayebond
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by lightbulb
- › Bug Band Insect Repellent Wristbands - Blue by fayebond
- › Natural Bug Blend Bug Repellent Spray by fayebond
- › Do Naturals Just Berry Shampoo and Conditioner by fayebond
- › Zoe organics Baby Bath Tea by fayebond
- › Calming Blend Shampoo & Bodywash 17oz by fayebond
- › zoe organics Gentle Hair & Body Wash by fayebond
- › Lafe's Organic Foaming Baby Shampoo and Wash, 12 oz by fayebond
- › Ouch! How Homeopathy Can Help With Those... by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathic Help for Post-Partum Mothers: a... by Melanie Mayo
- › Adding the Second Child by Sarah Clark
- › 5 Steps for Managing Stress and Anxiety by Melanie Mayo
- › What Marketers Don't Understand About... by Melanie Mayo
- › For the Dads by Rachel Wolf
- › What Happened When This Bereaved Mom Sought A... by momofnatasha
- › More About Soothing Small Tummies from... by Melanie Mayo
- › Get Ready To Read By Playing by Melanie Mayo
- › "Do You Trust Me?" by SantoshaMama