or Connect
Mothering › Groups › November 2011 Due Date Club › Discussions › October Chit Chat

October Chit Chat - Page 8

post #141 of 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky Wheeler View Post

Is your husband more understanding about it, instead of brushing it off? I'm glad you guys are getting away for a bit. That'll be good. hug2.gif

 

Yeah my DH is being comforting now that I've explained to him how this all made me feel so uneasy. I'm even more distraught now tonight... There is too much bad stuff happening in such a short time. My company's bank branch south of us was robbed this morning. Then tonight DH was in our office and noticed one of his computers was stolen. We had AT&T technicians over on Monday and again today, and we're sure it was one of them who stole it. Only problem? AT&T is worthless for getting information out of! I spent a half hour on the phone tonight with outsourced tech support and they could only give me first names of the guys who were out here. What's scarier is that they claim they only have record of dispatching out one man on Monday, but we recall 4 guys being out here... I'm honestly scared to fall asleep tonight. I'm waiting til morning to call the police to report the theft until DH takes inventory of his other stuff. He has a lot of expensive merchandise in our house and he hasn't gone through anything else to see if it's missing yet. What if the guys canvassed the house and are going to come back? I'm freaked out. gloomy.gif

post #142 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhappy85 View Post

 

Yeah my DH is being comforting now that I've explained to him how this all made me feel so uneasy. I'm even more distraught now tonight... There is too much bad stuff happening in such a short time. My company's bank branch south of us was robbed this morning. Then tonight DH was in our office and noticed one of his computers was stolen. We had AT&T technicians over on Monday and again today, and we're sure it was one of them who stole it. Only problem? AT&T is worthless for getting information out of! I spent a half hour on the phone tonight with outsourced tech support and they could only give me first names of the guys who were out here. What's scarier is that they claim they only have record of dispatching out one man on Monday, but we recall 4 guys being out here... I'm honestly scared to fall asleep tonight. I'm waiting til morning to call the police to report the theft until DH takes inventory of his other stuff. He has a lot of expensive merchandise in our house and he hasn't gone through anything else to see if it's missing yet. What if the guys canvassed the house and are going to come back? I'm freaked out. gloomy.gif

Oh NO! I'm so sorry, Joanie! I would feel so VIOLATED! Gosh, he BETTER understand that your "safe world" feels like it's caving in now! And I am sorry, but the outsourcing thing really ticks me off. We NEED JOBS HERE in the U.S., not in India or wherever you were outsourced to. I don't ever call customer support because I can't understand anyone. I feel so horrible for you and I would be insecure too. Multiple, big hugs coming to you! hug2.gifhug2.gif

post #143 of 222

Hey guys!  We finally made to to Chattanooga, TN and have internet again!  I had been doing everything on my phone the last couple of weeks and it's nearly impossible to ready Mothering on the tiny screen.  They really need a mobile app or formate for better ease!  We have decided we are going to stay here for a while and we are currently looking for a small(cheap) house to buy and fix up.  Hopefully the right thing pops up soon, as we'd like to live near my sister, but there's nothing here for sale right now.

 

Joanie:  Scary!

 

Jaimee:  I hope you are able to make it.  It was great to meet you last week, thanks again for having us.

 

TTC:  I couldn't imagine ttc with an 11mo baby.  I think mostly because I know my milk dries up very quickly once I'm pregnant and I'd be sad if my baby weaned that early.   We may have one more (probably), but not for a few years at best.

post #144 of 222

So, Abra, since you're gonna be squattin' for a while, can we use your bus? lol.gif

post #145 of 222
Abra, tapatalk is supposed to make the forums mobile friendly. I have never felt like spending $3 to find out.

I thought y'all had a lot more traveling to do before you setttled down. Still coming to OH for a wedding next month?
post #146 of 222

Abra: I've never been to Chattanooga, but I've heard it's a wonderful place to live. Hope you guys find something!

post #147 of 222
I'm taking Cipro for a kidney infection. My doc knows I'm breast feeding and prescribed it, but the pharmacis told me not to nurse while taking it. I'm still nursing but super nervous, any experience anyone?
post #148 of 222

We are still sleeping in the bus, so you'll have to wait to borrow it.  ;)  My sisters house is a fixer-upper and my dh and sister are in the process of refinishing the hard wood floors.  We will fully move into the house in another few weeks.  We were going to continue to travel, but have since changed our minds.  We decided that we want to stay put and save money while George gets his design business going.  We really haven't made enough money in the last few months to keep traveling and it would be nearly impossible to do the GAPS diet in the bus.  I'm spending at least 5 hours a day cooking, which just isn't possible in such a small space (with 3 kids).  We decided that the diet is more important right now than traveling (it's working really well btw).

 

Sara - After some debate, it looks like just George is going to the wedding in Nov.  There weren't going to be any other kids there and it is a hassle for us all to go.  I'd still love to meet you someday though!  

 

Ash - I would double check online and with your doctor.  Sometimes they forget that you're breastfeeding and auto-prescribe things.  It's always a good idea to ask.

post #149 of 222
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashley111 View Post

I'm taking Cipro for a kidney infection. My doc knows I'm breast feeding and prescribed it, but the pharmacis told me not to nurse while taking it. I'm still nursing but super nervous, any experience anyone?


It's approved for breastfeeding, but looks like it is an L3.  From Hale's site: http://www.infantrisk.com/content/antibiotics-and-breastfeeding

Ciprofloxacin

 

Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, GI bleeding and tendon rupture.

Diarrhea, tooth discoloration and pseudomembranous colitis (reported in one infant).

Ciprofloxacin is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic that is primarily used to treat gram negative infections and is the drug of choice for the treating anthrax and many urinary tract infections. Ciprofloxacin is thought to be transferred into milk in small amounts. Thus, ciprofloxacin is presumably safe for breastfeeding infants.  Just be sure to monitor the infant for GI symptoms such as diarrhea.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

You can call and actually speak to someone directly at InfantRisk:  (806)-352-2516

post #150 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post


It's approved for breastfeeding, but looks like it is an L3.  From Hale's site: http://www.infantrisk.com/content/antibiotics-and-breastfeeding

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

You can call and actually speak to someone directly at InfantRisk:  (806)-352-2516

 

 

Thank you Jaimee!  I scoured Kellymom and some other sites I trust and was not able to find much conclusive.  I ended up calling the doc to double check, and the nurse told me she had forgotten to mention to the doc that I was breastfeeding  irked.gif  I had mentioned it several times while I was talking to her, then again when she read me my lab results.  They switched my prescription in the end.  Which Im happy with because I felt really uneasyt about taking it.

 

She did say, though, that nursing was fine even though I had already taken some of the Cipro, and that it is approved by the AAP for nursing mothers.

post #151 of 222

I'm bummed out right now. One of my pregnant friends really caught me off guard when she found out we haven't vaccinated Sora. She has been asking me for all sorts of information on natural birthing/parenting because she wants to do things differently this next time around with her second baby (her son is soon-to-be tested for autism greensad.gif) so I thought she'd be all pro-choice with the vaccine issue. Now she emailed me saying she's not comfortable having the next baby around Sora unvaccinated. It hit me hard. She is the first friend of mine soon to become a SAHM, and I've been excited her whole pregnancy thinking of future playdates and spending time together on a regular basis. greensad.gif *sigh*

post #152 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhappy85 View Post

I'm bummed out right now. One of my pregnant friends really caught me off guard when she found out we haven't vaccinated Sora. She has been asking me for all sorts of information on natural birthing/parenting because she wants to do things differently this next time around with her second baby (her son is soon-to-be tested for autism greensad.gif) so I thought she'd be all pro-choice with the vaccine issue. Now she emailed me saying she's not comfortable having the next baby around Sora unvaccinated. It hit me hard. She is the first friend of mine soon to become a SAHM, and I've been excited her whole pregnancy thinking of future playdates and spending time together on a regular basis. greensad.gif *sigh*

 

 

Wow.  Unfortunately, though, when we dont vax or delay vaxing this is a risk we run.  Some people just are not comfortable with it.  It is not a norm, and is viewed as dangerous by a lot of people. 

 

I get a lot of flack from my family even.  We do selectively vaccinate, mostly using the delayed vax schedule of Dr. Sears.  My family has totally run with assumptions and at a family gathering the other night somebody actually said, "that sounds like something Ashley would say, she doesn't even vaccinate her kids, you know!"  Umm, excuse me...all of my kids have had vaccines.  I was a total blind sheep before and my oldest has ALL of his vaccinations on time and my ODD was vaxed up until she was 12 months old and had SEIZURES in response to her dTap.

 

People are just...ignorant sometimes. And its hard to deal with. Ask your friend, if she is so confident that vaccines are keeping her children safe then why is she uncomfortable having Sora around her perfectly fine fully vaccinated and safe children?

post #153 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhappy85 View Post

I'm bummed out right now. One of my pregnant friends really caught me off guard when she found out we haven't vaccinated Sora. She has been asking me for all sorts of information on natural birthing/parenting because she wants to do things differently this next time around with her second baby (her son is soon-to-be tested for autism greensad.gif) so I thought she'd be all pro-choice with the vaccine issue. Now she emailed me saying she's not comfortable having the next baby around Sora unvaccinated. It hit me hard. She is the first friend of mine soon to become a SAHM, and I've been excited her whole pregnancy thinking of future playdates and spending time together on a regular basis. greensad.gif *sigh*


I am so sorry, Joanie!  My neighbor said this to me once.  DD is selectively vaccinated, but B is not (he'll be selectively and obviously delayed vax'd).  I agree with Ash, but it still stings when people say that.  Vaccines aren't 100%, and vax'd kids can get sick, but usually the disease is not as serious.  Maybe that's where your friend is coming from.  My neighbor OTOH was just being a little mean, which is just her way. 

 

Is there some way to give people a non-answer to this question?  I wish I could think of a way to deflect it.  Maybe, "Oh, that's a good question, and well we...  Oh dear!  Smells like a time to change a diaper!  Gotta run!" 

post #154 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhappy85 View Post

I'm bummed out right now. One of my pregnant friends really caught me off guard when she found out we haven't vaccinated Sora. She has been asking me for all sorts of information on natural birthing/parenting because she wants to do things differently this next time around with her second baby (her son is soon-to-be tested for autism greensad.gif) so I thought she'd be all pro-choice with the vaccine issue. Now she emailed me saying she's not comfortable having the next baby around Sora unvaccinated. It hit me hard. She is the first friend of mine soon to become a SAHM, and I've been excited her whole pregnancy thinking of future playdates and spending time together on a regular basis. greensad.gif *sigh*

 

That irks me for you. S*** happens, you know? Not saying that your kiddo will get hers sick... It's just, ugh, people. I get crap for not being more "clean" around Conner... Like letting him put everything in his mouth, and letting him crawl around outside without shoes and stuff, and I'm just like... "Okay. So when you're bleached baby gets sick 10x more than Conner does, come and see me." And it's true. Conner has yet to get sick (Minus his ear infection) and my germ freak of a friend's has already been sick 3 times.

 

And while we are TTC, I'd say we're more NTNP, because I'm being really lazy about it. If it doesn't happen on it's own by the first of the year, I'm going back on BC until May, because I refuse to have more holiday babies, LOL. And surprisingly, my "A Baby Story" obsessed husband is okay with it. His fever is 1234284x worse than mine is, I swear. Once I quit BC in May, then I'll actually start temping/charting/etc.

 

Conner's birthday party is Sunday. While I'm uber, uber excited about this coming up, there's still that little voice in the back of my head who keeps reminding me of how bitter I am about his birth. I really hope that his actual birth DAY isn't rained on because I can't get over my feelings.

 

I have my yearly check-up at the end of November with my OB/GYN. I'm going to reiterate with him AGAIN about my desire for a VBAC, and if he's still okay with it, cool. If not, I'll be looking for a new OB/GYN.

 

I'm sorry so many of you are still having sleep issues. =( My kiddo is still sleeping 16/24 hours a day. 8p-8a, then 9a-11a, and 2p-4p. I wonder if this will cut back after his 6 teeth the dentist said he has coming in finish cutting. He's already got one molar popped through, and the dentist said the other 3 are sitting right there, waiting to pop. He also said his other two bottom teeth are right there, as well.

 

As for the grinding, he wasn't concerned at all about it (Just like you guys weren't, LOL). He said that it's normal when molars are coming through, because they're the biggest teeth Conner will experience, and a lot of times, babies grind their teeth to try to relieve some of the pressure they have in their mouth from those teeth trying to pop through. He said no intervention is necessary unless I noticed him causing damage to the enamel on his teeth.

 

I had two interviews yesterday for "big girl jobs" that'll help DH and I financially SO. MUCH. One is full-time, one is part-time. I honestly don't care which one I get, because it'd still be more income than I have right now. I won't be quitting at the animal emergency clinic I'm at, because I like that job too much, but it'll be nice to have more income. I'm so tired of stressing over paying the damn bills. It's retarded. I should find out next week about them, so cross your fingers for me.

post #155 of 222
Thread Starter 

Joanie, that sucks.  I probably would have been totally taken aback by that conversation and not known quite what to say in the moment- especially with my first.  But now that I'm on #3 and have had to explain myself dozens of times to many different people, I feel pretty comfortable just delving into the whole vaccine conversation and trying to get to the root of the issues the other person is having.  I think it's particularly worth having this conversation if this person is a good friend that values your opinion.  And it sounds like she does value your opinion.  Often people have not done their homework at all and when you start to talk, their arguments fall apart and then they start to question a little more and then realize that maybe they were a bit hasty in making such ignorant comments. 

 

Or if she's just totally pro-vax with no wiggle room and no room for understanding your point of view, then the argument of "If her kid is vaxed and vaxes prevent illness, then what does she need to worry about?" holds up pretty well.  I mean, we're talking about a hypothetical future baby here, right?  Or is she already pregnant?  And what does she plan to do when her child goes off to public school where there will undoubtedly be some unvaxed kids?  Or is she just worried about exposure when the baby is little?  If that's the case, then maybe there is a way to hang out cautiously for those few months until she feels more comfortable?

post #156 of 222

Thats so sad, Joanie! :( I honestly think that she may have presented her ideas to other friends or family and gotten REALLY negative or untrue feedback. Happened with my cousin, when she wanted to give birth breech. Her aunt is a nurse and thinks she knows it all. *sigh* Even if she vaccinated her baby, why wouldn't she want the baby around Sora? Aren't vaccines supposed to work???

post #157 of 222

That is exactly what a friend said to me :(  and yes Becky, I wonder that too!  If her child is vaxed then she *shouldn't* her child be protected against the illnesses.  When I was a little one, I was vaxed and I still got chickenpox and measles... I just don't talk about the vax/no vax thing to anyone anymore.  Most people don't know that Eli isn't vaxed.  His cousin was born 2 months after him, and she has been sick so many time (she is vaxed up to date) and my best friend's baby is only 4 months old and has been sick more times than I can count (also vaxed up to date).  Eli has barely had the sniffles...

 

I will be looking for a different midwife when we do have another baby.  My midwife doesn't deserve being in the midwife business.  Her 'medwife' side came through way to frequently during the end and I am still very angry with the way my birth went down.  I am also thinking of having a doula for my next birth.  (hopefully a vbac).  I still can't get over the horror of the things she did/said towards the end and once Eli was born.  Things I would have expected to hear from a doctor not a midwife.  

 

Nicole, I so get the feeling bitter part - because I do still feel bitter about Eli's birth... I really thought time would have healed that wound, but now with his birthday rolling around I just feel sad all over again.

post #158 of 222

So, about the idea "If vaccines worked, she wouldn't be at risk." The infant vaccine schedule doesn't vaccinate them fully against anything until they're around a year.  That's why they get so many shots. 

 

I would try to remind your friend that if she's nursing the baby, s/he will get antibodies to things mom is already immune to and that you don't plan to bring Sora around her kid if Sora actively has the measles.  LOL.

post #159 of 222

I agree with Sara. It's so silly to say you don't want an unvaccinated baby around a vaccinated baby. The vaccination schedule is such that a kid isn't really fully vaccinated anyway until well after a year old. Even if you were fully vaccinating, you wouldn't be done yet, so Sora wouldn't be "100%" vaccinated against anything, right? Am I making sense because I feel like I'm talking in circles. My sister said something similar because she baby sits for me. Until I pointed out that Greta wouldn't have been fully vaccinated against anything when I started taking her to her, even if we were pro-vax all the way. Then, recently she gave me a hard time about not getting the rotavirus vaccination. Greta has had diarrhea/soft stools for a couple of weeks now. She has had no other symptoms, but it all started when she got her ear infection and was worse while she was on an antibiotic. It's still pretty soft, but is slowly getting back to normal. She had a couple of watery poops for my sister one day and she went on her whole speel about the rotavius vaccination. Her own son was hospitalized with dehydration from rotavirus on two different occasions, so she's pretty hardcore about it. I guess I just have thick skin, because I don't really take any of it personally. So many of those opinions come from a place of misunderstanding. It's not my job to educate the rest of the world, so I just let most of it go... smile and nod, then redirect the conversation. I hope your friend comes to her senses.

 

*just an aside, we do selectively vaccinate. But I have very close friends who have not vaccinated at all. It has never been a reason for our kids not to play together. That is just the silliest thing I've ever heard.

post #160 of 222

Can I ask you WA ladies some pros cons of being located over there? There's a slight possibility that we'll be going there this tax season.

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: November 2011 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › November 2011 Due Date Club › Discussions › October Chit Chat