or Connect
Mothering › Groups › April 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › April DDC ~ October ~ Chat

April DDC ~ October ~ Chat - Page 15

post #281 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha83 View Post

LOL...how have yoiu measured before? You are on your sixth the same as me. But I've always measured right on at 20 weeks I was at 20 weeks. Before the ultrasound picture started looking twinnish to me I had a "test" I was waiting for. If my uterus was OVER my BB at 16 weeks I was going to be convinced. I'm 14 weeks and it's level with my bellly button...If it continues the way it has been continuing I have no fear that it will be over it in two more weeks. Which is ironically when I'll know for sure because of ultrasound. LOL.

When were your early ultrasounds. Trust me, I've done TONS of reading and it's NOT uncommon for early ultrasounds to miss twins. Also were they performed by a sonographer or were they performed by a doctor as a quick in office look? Apparently that matters too (mine was doc in office) according a friend of a friend who IS a sonographer. (she looked at my picture I posted too, well the unedited with extras one) and she said that it looks like two to her too but sicne she didn't take the picture it's hard to say. LOL....

I've heard of a few people having a couple ultrasounds and still not knowing til 20 weeks.

Anyway...I would say "what does your gut say" but my gut told me when I first was pregnant that it was one baby...and my gut told me two pregnancies before that it was twins and it was one. LMBO....but then when my uterus took off growing like Jack's magic bean, I started to wonder....and with a few other symptoms....and comments...and then discovering that picture where there are other twins that look VERY similar (especially the one on the left)....I'm convinced. LOL...I've been told numerous times that my uterus could just be relaxed from so many babies....but honestly I think the only person that can knokw that for sure is the momma. Basing it off of my previous pregnancies it's way different. I would think it would be gradual, not boom huge. And I've talked to other Grand multipara moms (locally) and they all say the same thing...that it might measure a week or two bigger but six weeks bigger seems a bit strange.

HA...now you are really wondering I bet....sorry! ;)

Well I know I have always measured ahead in the beginning but of course I can't remember when it evened out!!  :S  I told myself that I wouldn't worry since I had the u/s but then the midwife gave me a really weird look when I was in at my12w appointment, asking me if I was sure of my dates...I was like 'umm, yes...had ultrasound to confirm?' and she was like, well if you hadn't measured ahead before like you say, we'd be talking a lot more about this.  I was like, I had 3 ultrasounds...I can't imagine there's one hiding right?  But she just gave me a sideways look with a smirk.  LOL!!  Nice!!

 

Honestly just like you I was hanging on to the fact that despite checkign I had only found ONE heartbeat (the galloping one, with the sound of valves opening/closing that you get right near baby).  I had heard the hb elsewhere but it wasn't the galloping one and I know those are just echoes.  Of course my doppler doesn't have a readout so that doesn't help me.  I have no idea what the BPM's are and am not accurate enough to count myself I don't think.  After finding a second HB (galloping, so not an echo as far as I understand!) on the side I never find anything but placenta sounds has me really wondering if there's another one hiding behind the placenta over there that I haven't been able to find before...it was tricky to find anyway.  Both were loud.

 

As for the ultrasounds, they were quite strange.  I had bleeding at 5.5w (a lot) and had an u/s at 6w.  They saw only a yolk sac and a subchorionic hematoma...I only got to see a freeze screen of the gestational sac/yolk sac.  No hb was visualised, the sonographer wanted to do a vaginal u/s but was afraid to make me bleed again so told me I'd have to come back...and the Dr told me pg was not viable and to wait a few weeks to m/c.  I contacted a midwife because I didn't believe him when he told me there should have been a hb even with an abdominal u/s at that stage...she set up antoher u/s at 7w.  I got to watch this u/s...the sch looked EXACTLY like a second sac.  Unfortunately, the pic they gave me only shows the side view of it so it isn't as obvious as it was on the screen!  I am told this is possible for a sch to look like another sac, however it took some digging and moving around just to visualise the one baby and get a flashing HB - not measureable in BPM, embryo measured 7w. So it makes me wonder if there could have been another.  I went in for one more at 9w, and I didn't get to watch it until the end to see the baby but it was super quick.  ALL were only abdominal and they didn't seem to check around anywhere else or move it much. So I have no idea honestly!!!  I was told this wasn't a viable pg in the beginning so I am a skeptic!  LOL

So I guess I will check today and see if I manage to hear more than one again...and I think I will have a good idea before long because now is when the big growth spurts start and I will be HUGE by my 21w u/s if there are two in there!  LOL  I've been more sick with this one than ever.  My head says, "you had 3 u/s...that would be crazy!"

 

Dh felt kicks from the outside yesterday.  Neato!

post #282 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post

 

If it helps any, I always pick up the HB in 2 different locations with my pregnancies....both on opposite sides of my uterus.  Did send us looking for 2 babies once with another pg. ;)  But just one.  Was told it's basically like an echo, that the pubic bone can contribute a lot to that.

 

Are the HB's the same rate, or close?  I've always read that with separate twin HB's, they almost always vary by 10-20 bpm.

I can pick it up all over but the 'galloping' sound was always in one specific (small) area, as I was told it was directly over baby to hear the valves of the heart opening.  Neither are anywhere near my pubic bone, as my uterus is right up near my belly button now.  One was on the upper left side, and the other was over on the very right where I normally never even look for baby because the placenta is obviously there.  If baby is the size of an avocado, I'm not sure how that would be possible.  hmm.

 

My doppler unfortunately doesn't show BPM and I don't think I'd be able to count it accurately enough myself!

post #283 of 333

Any suggestions for heartburn...mine is SO bad I think it is a huge contributor to this nausea.  Since the diclectin made me even worse I am feeling a bit desperate.

 

Normally I would take pepcid which motherisk.org seems to say is OK but I am hesitant. I have tried many things in the past but nothing seems to help much!  The only thing I have NOT tried is apple cider vinegar but the smell of vinegar makes me gag so I am pretty sure I will puke if I take that.

post #284 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethelpea View Post

 I haven't had any this pregnancy yet, but my bhs never hurt, it just feels like tightening not like menstural cramps to me.  Be watchful.


Thanks, Ethelpea. I had my dr's emergency number out, just in case. I haven't had any bhs since that one around noon, and no spotting. Still not putting the dr's number away, though!

 

And at_the_hip, my doc told me to take Pepsid AC (or Zantac 75) because I was vomiting 2x day from weeks 12-16.  It's been 5 days without nausea or vomiting for me--and what a relief! I'm not generally a pill-taker, but throwing up makes me weak...

post #285 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday View Post

I think I just had my first BH contraction! (I'm 16w5d.)

 

It came on quite suddenly (I was just puttering around my studio, putting things away), and felt like strong menstrual cramps, with a bit of nausea thrown in. (My cramps were terrible, and I usually threw up and/or passed out on the first day of my cycle.) It was so startling that I ran to the bathroom to check if I was bleeding!

 

No spotting, thank goodness, and the contraction passed after two minutes or so. But, goodness, it scared me to tears.

It's funny that you mentioned this because mine started yesterday too at 15w5d. 

post #286 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_the_hip View Post

I can pick it up all over but the 'galloping' sound was always in one specific (small) area, as I was told it was directly over baby to hear the valves of the heart opening.  Neither are anywhere near my pubic bone, as my uterus is right up near my belly button now.  One was on the upper left side, and the other was over on the very right where I normally never even look for baby because the placenta is obviously there.  If baby is the size of an avocado, I'm not sure how that would be possible.  hmm.

 

My doppler unfortunately doesn't show BPM and I don't think I'd be able to count it accurately enough myself!

 

Oh I didn't mean by the pubic bone, just that it can be what the HB echo's off of.  Mine is usually in one upper corner and then over midway up the opposite side.

 

Good luck....how exciting!!!!

post #287 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_the_hip View Post

Any suggestions for heartburn...mine is SO bad I think it is a huge contributor to this nausea.  Since the diclectin made me even worse I am feeling a bit desperate.

 

Normally I would take pepcid which motherisk.org seems to say is OK but I am hesitant. I have tried many things in the past but nothing seems to help much!  The only thing I have NOT tried is apple cider vinegar but the smell of vinegar makes me gag so I am pretty sure I will puke if I take that.



I've mentioned it a couple of times before, but I really like d-limonene.  It works really well and you don't have to take it constantly.  And manuka honey lozenges have been helping a TON when I need something extra.  I was taking Pepcid Complete regularly with other pregnancies but am glad I found an alternative because I have chronic systemic candida problems (and thrush while BF'ing) and I am really sure that all my antacid use contributed to them.

 

There are very few things that help me, too, so I hear ya on that!!!

post #288 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post



I've mentioned it a couple of times before, but I really like d-limonene.  It works really well and you don't have to take it constantly.  And manuka honey lozenges have been helping a TON when I need something extra.  I was taking Pepcid Complete regularly with other pregnancies but am glad I found an alternative because I have chronic systemic candida problems (and thrush while BF'ing) and I am really sure that all my antacid use contributed to them.

 

There are very few things that help me, too, so I hear ya on that!!!

 

I've never heard of either of those things!  Can you tell me more about them?  The only thing that has helped a tiny bit in the past (but can be difficult to find) is slippery elm lozenges.

I will dig around and see if I can find them anywhere...thanks for the suggestions!  I can't take pepcid complete because of the aspartame in it but regular pepcid ac has always helped...I just hate taking medication in general.  :S  Tums do nothing for me!

post #289 of 333

deleted - crazy repeat post...no idea why?!

post #290 of 333

I found the lozenges but wow they are expensive at nearly $1 per lozenge...how often do you take them?  I don't know if we can afford that.  :S

 

My usual Canadian online source had nothing listed for the d-limonene...perhaps you can point me in the right direction?

post #291 of 333

deleted...sorry!

post #292 of 333

I found the d-limonene on amazon and was reading through the reviews.  Someone mentioned that migraines/cluster headaches are listed as a side effect.  I won't be able to take them then as I have severe migraines with aura.  :S 

post #293 of 333

Oh I rarely have to resort to the manuka honey.  We keep it on hand though for other issues- stomach troubles, or sore throats/colds and flu stuff in the winter.

 

Bummer about the d-limonene!  I've never heard of that.  Seems weird it'd be related...all it is is the oil from citrus peel.

 

Speaking of migraines/severe headaches, this might be common knowledge, but yesterday I was visiting my chiro with my SIL as she got ozone injections in her neck and head for her debilitating migraines, and he was saying that in 98% of the cases they (speaking of someone big...Dr. West maybe?  Don't remember) treated, high doses of magnesium (alone or with high Vit C) worked amazingly and fast.  She has been getting the Myer's cocktails for treatment.

post #294 of 333

I have tried magnesium and for me - no effect, sadly!  I was very desperate during my last pregnancy when I was getting 3+ auras and migraines per day and even waking up with a new one in the middle of the night, for MONTHS.  It was horrible and no one could do anything for me. 

 

However I wouldn't be surprised if chiropractic care would help me.  I haven't been able to afford to go see one or an osteopath since probably 1997 after I had a very bad (horse) riding accident.  I didn't break anything but could barely walk for a long time until the osteopath put my pelvis back where it should be amongst other things.  I am hoping to get some care at some point during this pregnancy to see if it affects my baby's position or length of labour (have had 3 of 5 kids posterior births and very long labours).

post #295 of 333

That sounds so miserable!  You and my SIL sound a lot alike.  She gets them out of the blue and is down for days, and we have to hook her up to fluids just to maintain her during that time.  The cocktails definitely shorten it for her, but of course we have to find someone to mix them as they're IV as well, and they still don't take the edge of the pain for her.  I get bad regular headaches that make me feel like death so I can't even imagine something more powerful.  Ick.

 

The Prolozone therapy was really interesting though. It sounds like it might help her a lot.  I can't fathom having it done myself though, I don't mind needles when I'm sticking them in someone else watching, but man, to think of one going in my upper neck and head multiple times....blech.  Needless to say, I had to take a seat while I watched. LOL  Fascinating, though.

 

Anyway, sorry for hijacking!!!

 

On a pregnancy note....I got my 2nd thyroid draw back and my antibodies are only 14...down from 18 last time.  TSH and T4 are still really low (obviously, from being on Armour) but I'm so happy the antibodies are WELL within normal (<35).   Makes me feel MUCH more positive about the outcome of this pregnancy!!!

post #296 of 333

At the hip:
How long can you hear the HB? Can you hear it for 10 seconds? Count how many beats per 10 seconds and multiply by 6 :) Easier than it seems when you  break it down.

Very exciting...I'm excited to hear what you find out. I was reading around today and came across something fascinating to me. And pertains to my situation. It said that with an ultrasound it reacts to motion...so when you "hear" a heart beat...you aren't actually "hearing" it...you are hearing the machine react to motion...so when the heart is moving it's picking that motion up...adn the machine makes noises to coordinate with the beats. HOWEVER if it cannot see the motion, you wont hear it. So if the second baby was at an angle where the HB wasn't seen...then it wasn't heard.

I hope I explained that well enough. But I was like OH DUH when I read it...never really thought about it...always just kind of thought of it as a "microphone" and it's not lol. Funny.

Anyway...hugs to you gals with the headaches and everythign else...craziness...my heart goes out to you...I'm a big ole baby with head aches...birthing a baby...sure I got that...a debilitating headache....I'm incapable of handling that it seems! HUGS

post #297 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha83 View Post

At the hip:
How long can you hear the HB? Can you hear it for 10 seconds? Count how many beats per 10 seconds and multiply by 6 :) Easier than it seems when you  break it down.

 

LOL see it is supposed to be easy but I mustn't be coordinated enough...I can't seem to manage paying attention to the clock, holding still with the doppler and counting the beats.  It's more than my preggo brain can handle, it seems!  LOL  I couldn't find a second hb today at all...nothing but incredibly loud placental noise on that side again.  So either baby is nestled behind the placenta or there's just one.  I don't think I could tell though if they were close together because I'd just assume it was the same heartbeat.  Almost always I have one down on my left side.  I figure either things will settle in the next few weeks or I will get huge.  Either way I will know before my u/s.  hahaha

post #298 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday View Post

 

And at_the_hip, my doc told me to take Pepsid AC (or Zantac 75) because I was vomiting 2x day from weeks 12-16.  It's been 5 days without nausea or vomiting for me--and what a relief! I'm not generally a pill-taker, but throwing up makes me weak...

 How did I miss this message?  My computer is not cooperating today.  LOL

 

That's awesome to know...honestly I am starting to think that the heartburn may be the cause of my continued suffering.  I've always had problems with it even while not pg, so maybe I'll send hubby to get some Pepcid tomorrow.  It's always worked wonders for me when I've felt bad!  I took it for quite awhile 10 years ago for an ulcer and it helped a lot then too.

post #299 of 333
What do you ladies think of the different types of birth control. For me the best option seems to be the IUD, as I am HORRIBLE at remembering to take meds for myself. Have any of you had an IUD before?

(This has been a tiring few days. My exhaustion had slammed into me full force once again and I can't stand it!!!)
post #300 of 333

So at what point do we start looking into daycare/nanny share and/or doctors? I hear that because we are in a major city the wait lists (particularly at daycare) can be long. 

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: April 2013 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › April 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › April DDC ~ October ~ Chat