So I'm working on finding the best provider for a VBA2C in NYC.
The midwife who attended my first VBAC will be on vacation over my due date, she cannot take me. I have not been able to find another midwife willing to take me.
I've met a couple doctors who say, "I'd be ok with it, but the others in my practice are not as open-minded, so it would come down to luck as to who's covering when you go into labor."
I just had a meet and greet with a two doctor practice known for "minimally invasive obstetrics." The female doctor was relatively neutral about the whole thing. She said I'd be better off at their practice than anywhere else, but even with them the actual hospital environment is so unfriendly to VBAC in general that it would be difficult to be successful. She also mentioned that since my prior Cs were for big babies, and I was likely to grow another big baby, the stress on my scar just from carrying the baby would increase the likelihood of rupture (though she acknowedged that she has no evidence for this, it would just "seem to make sense.") She mentioned the possibility of significantly restricting carbs in the third trimester in hopes of growing a smaller baby, she had two different patients who did this successfully (from 9+lbs to 7+lbs!). At this point I was about to leave, because I don't want to growth-retard my baby just to have a VBAC, but she asked me to hang around for another minute so I could meet the other (male) doctor. He was like a breath of fresh air. He said that size is rarely the issue. He agreed that the hospital environment is not supportive, but didn't feel that it doomed our chances. He felt like both my priors were likely avoidable (they were arrest of labor due to big, posterior babies- baby never in distress), he said with changing positions and waiting longer they probably could have gotten them to turn. (Is this happy news, or not?) Basically, as long as I clearly understand the risks, these doctors will attend me. ALSO, with this practice, I have until 42weeks before they will do a RCS (no induction d/t 2Cs). Others have not been so "generous" with the timing.
I'm almost at the end of my list of "leads." There is one more doctor to see- a solo practioner who is somewhat of a rebel (she delivers breech, twins, etc. vaginally). I couldn't get an appointmet with her until I'm 12w, however (7w3d today). I don't want to wait that long for a first appointment, really. I'd at least like a heartbeat confirmation.
Of course neither of these practices accept insurance. I have a FSA, though, and out of network coverage, so I'm willing to shell out what I have to.
I'm wondering if I should have a first appointment with someone random who is on my insurance, until I see that last rebel doctor, or see the 2 doc practice until then, or what...
Anyway, thanks for reading- what do you think about my options? Suggestions, thoughts, support?