or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Missouri, Illinois, Iowa › looking for natural-minded OB in Chicago west suburbs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

looking for natural-minded OB in Chicago west suburbs

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

I'm super bummed to discover my midwife will not be covered by my insurance this time around.  The only midwives that are covered go to hospitals too far from me, so I'm off to find an OB, but I really want to have a natural hospital birth again. I feel confident I can handle it alone, but I just don't want an OB that I'll have to constantly butt heads with. Anyone have suggestions?  I'm in Wheaton, so DuPage county area is my target.  (CDH, Good Sam, Edwards, Hinsdale, Elmhurst are realistic hospitals)

thanks!

post #2 of 15

This group is moving to Elmhurst come 2013 and will offer water birth http://www.oakparkmidwife.com/home/Midwifery_and_Womens_Health_at_West_Suburban.html

 

At CDH Dr. Carroll is wonderful, does breech, twins, VBA2C, very supportive natural birth http://johntcarrollmd.com/Pages/JTC-AboutUs.html

 

OMG at Hinsdale could also be an option http://omgwh.com/

 

Avoid Good Sam and Edwards

post #3 of 15

I wanted to say a good word about Dr Carroll too.  He took me on last time as a VBA3C!  Unfortunately I didn't get to give it a try because I broke a rib or three before the birth and couldn't breath normally yet alone hope to push. After searching for "VBAC" friendly and naturally minded OBs within a 2 hour radius, he was the only one who would take me.  My prenatal care was laid back.  He and his staff are very nice and helpful.  I will contact him again in a few weeks and see if he's up for a VBA4Cs!  (Fingers crossed!) Oh, and he never said a word about my choosing not to vax, use eye drops or declining any other interventions.

post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaSam View Post

This group is moving to Elmhurst come 2013 and will offer water birth http://www.oakparkmidwife.com/home/Midwifery_and_Womens_Health_at_West_Suburban.html

 

At CDH Dr. Carroll is wonderful, does breech, twins, VBA2C, very supportive natural birth http://johntcarrollmd.com/Pages/JTC-AboutUs.html

 

OMG at Hinsdale could also be an option http://omgwh.com/

 

Avoid Good Sam and Edwards

thanks! Yes I heard about oakpark moving to elmhurst and would love the water birth. They dont take my insurance though.  However I will call because they are adding a third midwife when they move, and she currently takes my insurance.. hopefully that wont be dropped when they merge..

OMG doesnt take my insurance either, but D. Carroll does, i will look into that. Maybe I'll consider a doula if I have to go the OB route.

post #5 of 15

I'm a little biased, but doulas are pretty awesome ;), Dr. Carroll works with doulas a ton. 

post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaSam View Post

This group is moving to Elmhurst come 2013 and will offer water birth http://www.oakparkmidwife.com/home/Midwifery_and_Womens_Health_at_West_Suburban.html

 

At CDH Dr. Carroll is wonderful, does breech, twins, VBA2C, very supportive natural birth http://johntcarrollmd.com/Pages/JTC-AboutUs.html

 

OMG at Hinsdale could also be an option http://omgwh.com/

 

Avoid Good Sam and Edwards

Sorry to hijack, but I was going with West Sub Midwives, but Elmhurst is much much closer than West Sub. 

DoulaSam - do you think I could switch to Oak Park Midwives or is there not an exact date for their new office to open up?

Just wondering.

 

Also to the OP, I know its not DuPage County, but in Aurora at Rush Copley they do waterbirth and the midwife there, Karen Barr, is excellant. I had her for my 1st birth.

post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 

Hello Greenlea- same DDC!

I actually am waiting for a call back from the Oak Park midwives that are transferring to Elmhurst.  That little announcement stated Dec 17 is the switch date.  I'm in Wheaton, so Oak Park was not an option but Elmhurst definitely is.  Just waiting to see if my insurance is accepted. (they say all insurance, but ALL usually means all, except what you have!)  During my last pregnancy, my midwife practice accepted me at 30 weeks; I'm hoping this group would be just as understanding, though I won't be nearly that far along.

Copley's a bit too far. Thank you though.  But, I received great news that my current midwife will be covered after all- the labor is billed under an OB in the practice; so I'm safe where I am, but since I heard there's a waterbirth option at Elmhurst, I'm still tempted to switch.

post #8 of 15

Like stated above the switch is supposed to happen mid to late Dec. I would call their office and ask specifics about if they will be offering waterbirth upon opening or if it will take a bit to get things up and running. I'd assume by April it wouldn't be an issue at all. 

post #9 of 15

Hi DoulaSam - you must feel like I'm following you. bag.gif

 

I had no idea that oakparkmidwife practice was moving to Elhmurst! I didn't see any info on their web page, I must have missed it. Will they just be delivering out of Elmhurst or have an office there as well? I'm definitely tempted with this option because OP is still kind of too far my comfort. Well, not terribly far but the traffic is very unpredictable.

 

I have learned my lesson, however, to not look at locations only. I now have to find a new provider, the old practice can no longer see me because I'm not comfortable with some of their rules.

 

Dr. Carroll sounds wondeful but I would like to see a female instead. I know ... I'm nuts, I'm just very uncomfortable with male obgyns.

 

If I had to decide between OMG at Hinsdale and West Suburban Women's Health at Willowbrook (both practices delivering out of Adventist Hinsdale Hospital) OR oakparkmiwife after they move - what would be my best choice for not only a (hopefully) natural labor but also preferebly no doppler at every visit, using food/juices as an alternative for the GD test (if they even insist on it), intermittend monitoring during labor and not having to deliver on my back?

 

I'm a little hesitant to call first to all different practices with my questions (and get excited) because I have realized I can really be promised anything ahead of the time and when it gets to it, the rules change. I would much prefer to hear real experiences.

post #10 of 15

Boomer78 - I am going with Oak Park Midwives. I will see them twice in River Forest, then mid Dec they will have an office in Elmhurst near the hospital, so I'll start going to Elmhurst for pre-natal.  She said they will do intermittent fetal monitoring during labor AFTER a 20 minute monitoring session once you are admitted. That is one thing that WILL bother me. I had the same thing when I had an all natural birth with my DS1 at Rush Copley in Aurora. Intermittent to them meant every 1/2 hour! I was getting so annoyed with this nurse and her doppler while I'm standing in the shower having a contraction. My DH eventually talked to her and got her to move it to every 45 minutes but it is what it is and Mary at Oak Park Midwifes said its not something she's going to fight about with the hospital - that there's other bigger things to her than intermittent monitoring.  So I guess I'll have to live with it.

 

But OPM I believe are very much FOR natural birth, birthing in any position you want (Elmhurst has 2 free standing birth tubs and they can bring in a portable birthing pool if you happen to be in a room without a tub). But they are still "medical" for lack of a better word. At my 1st appt they ran the gamut on me with tests (HIV, STD, pap, breast exam, urine, etc). But most any midwife who delivers at a hospital is going to be.

post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlea View Post

Boomer78 - I am going with Oak Park Midwives. I will see them twice in River Forest, then mid Dec they will have an office in Elmhurst near the hospital, so I'll start going to Elmhurst for pre-natal.  She said they will do intermittent fetal monitoring during labor AFTER a 20 minute monitoring session once you are admitted. That is one thing that WILL bother me. I had the same thing when I had an all natural birth with my DS1 at Rush Copley in Aurora. Intermittent to them meant every 1/2 hour! I was getting so annoyed with this nurse and her doppler while I'm standing in the shower having a contraction. My DH eventually talked to her and got her to move it to every 45 minutes but it is what it is and Mary at Oak Park Midwifes said its not something she's going to fight about with the hospital - that there's other bigger things to her than intermittent monitoring.  So I guess I'll have to live with it.

 

But OPM I believe are very much FOR natural birth, birthing in any position you want (Elmhurst has 2 free standing birth tubs and they can bring in a portable birthing pool if you happen to be in a room without a tub). But they are still "medical" for lack of a better word. At my 1st appt they ran the gamut on me with tests (HIV, STD, pap, breast exam, urine, etc). But most any midwife who delivers at a hospital is going to be.

 

Greenlea - thanks. When is your DD?

 

I has scheduled an appointment with them as well, for next month. I just have to get the copy of my medical records to them now (never done that before).

 

I only asked a few questions, mostly about the things that bothered me at the current practice and they seem to be OK with the alternatives so far.

 

As far as monitoring during labor, the mdwife I spoke with told me they absolutely will do an initial strip (with the doppler) for about 20-25 min. - and - if I remember correctly (not so sure now...?) she said if that one is OK then they will do one every hour. But you know, I was really excited they take my insurance and are willing to take me as a patient when I would like to do some things differently I wasn't asking details about labor... I did think, though, that they have more room for their own rules and suggestions, I didn't realize they have to follow the hospital's orders???

 

Water labor sounds great and I'm kind of excited about that!

 

I believe the HIV test is mandatory (if you deliver at a hospital), pap smear/breast exam surely aren't (I was able to refuse the pap, and wasn't comfortable with the pelvic/breast exam but was thrown too much out of my element to decline that as well) and I think urine is a must everywhere else, too. I didn't have the STD test done, the midwife simply asked about our relationship with DH and since it was negative when done during previous pregnancy, she didn't insist on one. Hm...I wonder if the Oak Park midwives will want it done?

 

I have a feeling the other two practices that deliver at Hinsdale (OMG and I forgot the other one) will probably have very similar rules, because they also deliver at a hospital and have an OB on staff.

 

I'm planning on gettin to the hospital somewhat later (hopefully things will go smoothly and pain will be tolerable - I can dream, right?) - even with more natural minded midwives, because of the hospital rules, but that is just a plan and plans don't always work out.

 

I actually completely forgot to ask about their IV procedure... Did you happen to ask? That's one thing that would really bug me. I don't want the fluids or be strapped to anything like that.

 

DoulaSam might know the answer - do you have any personal experience with the routine use of IVs at Elmhurst or Hinsdale hospitals? Is that something the hospital mandates, or can a midwife over ride this?  What could happen if I say 'no thank you' (unless there is an emergency of course)?

post #12 of 15

She said they dont do the mandatory IV at Elmhurst when using the midwives there.  And I made sure I could decline all newborn procedures except PKU and she said thats fine. Also she said leaving early is fine with them as long as we bring in our own pediatrician to release the baby early.

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlea View Post

She said they dont do the mandatory IV at Elmhurst when using the midwives there.  And I made sure I could decline all newborn procedures except PKU and she said thats fine. Also she said leaving early is fine with them as long as we bring in our own pediatrician to release the baby early.

 

Those are all great news! :) We will be declining all procedures for the baby as well, except PKU. I guess we have to find a pediatrician... We have one for dd but we never see him and he is kind of far (we have moved since finding him) so I guess it's time to find a new one. If I pick one from the list (that you're usually given) that doesn't count then?

post #14 of 15

I don't know if the hospital pediatricians will let them go early, you'll have to ask the midwife.

post #15 of 15

Sorry just seeing this stuff now. At Hinsdale I have only worked with OMG, but hear good things about the other group of midwives. Dr. Daube is pretty flexible and very laid back for an OB. The tubs there are very nice, but currently are only being used as labor tubs. If you want not wanting a male OB, seeing the midwives at Elmhurst is probably a better idea since at OMG they do shift work and if Dr. Daube is on then he is on. That being said he is very supportive of natural birth and even has doulas in his practice. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Missouri, Illinois, Iowa
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Missouri, Illinois, Iowa › looking for natural-minded OB in Chicago west suburbs