My dd is alergic to latex and all the other paints seem to be highly toxic. Any ideas on what we could use in home for walls?
- topicMindful Hometagged by System, 10/7/12
Related Forum Threads
- Great git wrap ideas Last post on 12/9/13 at 12:20pm in The Mindful Home
- Food grade popsicle sticks (not MIC) Last post on 12/7/13 at 6:48pm in The Mindful Home
- Help troubleshoot my cold house? Last post on Yesterday at 6:40 pm in The Mindful Home
- What does your child’s play area or bedroom look like? Last post on 12/5/13 at 6:17pm in The Mindful Home
- Make Your Own Wool Dryer Balls Last post on 11/22/13 at 3:28pm in The Mindful Home
The Best Non-Toxic Beeswax and Soy Crayons
Last edited: 8/8/13
- Riding the Roller Coaster of Pregnancy and Becoming a ParentLast edited: 3/14/13
- Easy Ways to Green Your LifeLast edited: 1/26/13
- What if Reducing Your Carbon Emissions by Cloth Diapering, Baking...Last edited: 3/7/13
- The Impact of No Impact ManLast edited: 3/7/13
what paint can we use?post #1 of 1210/7/12 at 3:39pmThread Starterpost #2 of 1210/7/12 at 3:42pmThread Starterpost #3 of 1210/7/12 at 3:53pmpost #4 of 1210/7/12 at 4:14pmpost #5 of 1210/7/12 at 4:25pm
can i ask how the allergy reacts to the paint in various stages? is it just when wet? the fumes? how long would some sort of off gassing happen for?
cause i have never heard of folks that were allergic to latex having to be careful around painted walls. i worked in a field that used latex gloves a lot and had 2 folks work for me that had developed pretty bad allergies over many years of exposure, so i heard them talk about it a lot and i did remove latex from our shop completely for them. but we remodeled at one point and painted everything and they never seemed to have any issues with it. (they did not do the painting, but were in the shop just a few days later)post #6 of 1210/7/12 at 4:30pmpost #7 of 1210/7/12 at 4:51pmThread Starter
Thanks Idenity and jgall.
Adorkable, I am really not sure. She has lots of issues and cross reacts very badly with avocado, banana, pineapple, etc... even though no detectable allergy to those. She reacted to latex on my husbands clothes when he was doing plumbing work and they used it on piping. Most likely she would be fine, but I can't afford to have to pull it all down and start over if it is a problem and with all her issues I'd like her living space as clean as possible.post #8 of 1210/8/12 at 2:45pm
seems that latex paint shouldn't cause issues with latex sensitive folks....atleast according to mayo etc. I'd still keep kiddo out of the house until dry and paint smell has gone if you go this route.
I was thinking of the new chalk paint line, but I believe thats latex as well.
It's a PITA, but what about wall paper? there is a reason why victorians loved it so much....they were cleaning fanatics back then :)post #9 of 1210/9/12 at 6:28ampost #10 of 1210/9/12 at 6:53am
technically you can go really old school and just do flour paste for wallpaper :)
I think the offgassing is for the crazy vinyl type papers. the paintable/washable that was all the rage in the 80s. GAG...
and from someone who has hideous WP applied directly to drywall with no sizing (ie, near impossible to remove) and whose mom spent hours and hours and hourse removing hideous WP from her house....suggesting WP is pretty amusing.
You'd have to go kinda old school and get actual PAPER...vs the washable/wipable hybrids they started pushing in the 80s....post #11 of 1210/9/12 at 7:03ampost #12 of 1210/31/12 at 6:29am
Milk paint is an environmentally friendly paint that is ideal for antique furniture, decks, floors and walls. You can mix milk paint with pigment powders to create just about any color you can imagine. And, the Real Milk Paint Company does not stop there. We also offer milk paint remover , crackle , tung oil , Citrus Solvent (a natural replacement for mineral spirits and paint thinner) and a host of other earth friendly products .http://www.treathemorrhoidsguide.com/
- Riding the Roller Coaster of Pregnancy and Becoming a Parent
- › December (already!) chat 2 minutes ago
- › Fed up of being the maid in the house 2 minutes ago
- › Breaking your water 3 minutes ago
- › Neighbor boy's unfiltered insults hurting my family 5 minutes ago
- › Dingo Bells, Dingo Bells, Dingo all the Way!!!! 6 minutes ago
- › Katie Couric admits disproportionate reporting on HPV vaccine 7 minutes ago
- › Is 11 weeks way too early to feel fluttering movement? 9 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread ~*~ December 2013 11 minutes ago
- › Post-partum check in here! 15 minutes ago
- › How would you handle this? 18 minutes ago
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › Polar Express by Melanie Mayo
- › The Return of the Light: Twelve Tales from Around the World for the... by Terry Stafford
- › The Shortest Day: Celebrating the Winter Solstice by Terry Stafford
- › The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative by Fembot
- › The Snow Queen by Astraia
- › The Night Before Christmas by 1love4ever
- › The Snowy Day by janonia
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Can Attachment Parents Put Their Own... by KidsInTheHouse
- › Phases of a Nursling by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Holiday Books Giveaway Rules by Melanie Mayo
- › Developmental Milestones to Marvel At by Monica S
- › 15 Fun and Enchanting Holiday Tales for Children by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo