What fabric? Fleece, wool, hemp, bamboo? Need one NOW!!!
Mothering Top Picks
Related Forum Threads
- First Potty Strike @ 21 Months Old Last post on 5/10/13 at 5:23pm in Elimination Communication
- CBC story on EC Last post on 4/29/13 at 2:34pm in Elimination Communication
- Lots of catches but no communication with 12 m old Last post on 4/15/13 at 9:34am in Elimination Communication
- Parenting Docu-Series Last post on 4/11/13 at 8:16am in Elimination Communication
- Why underwear? Last post on 4/30/13 at 12:23pm in Elimination Communication
Book Giveaway: The Diaper Free Baby
Edited on 3/11/13
- Car Trips With Cloth DiapersEdited on 3/20/13
- Anything Worth Doing is Worth Doing Half-AssedEdited on 3/29/13
- Elimination Communication ResourcesEdited on 8/2/11
Which diaper belt to buy in US?post #1 of 1010/11/12 at 6:05pmThread Starterpost #2 of 1010/14/12 at 6:25ampost #3 of 1010/14/12 at 10:23ampost #4 of 1010/14/12 at 3:38pmMaineCoastMama, a diaper belt is just a piece of elastic the baby wears as a belt, to hold a diaper in place. They are covered with some material (like fleece) that resists moisture. When the diaper is wet, the belt remains dry. They allow for very easy removal and replacement for pottying.
Here's a picture of one of my boys in one.
http://www.mothering.com/community/g/i/241791/post #5 of 1010/23/12 at 7:35pmpost #6 of 1010/25/12 at 7:27am
Here's how I do it.
Measure your baby's waist. Cut a piece of 1inch elastic about that long. It has to stretch over a diaper, but if it's too loose it won't hold the diaper in place. 17 inches was perfect for my boys between about 3 and 10 months. Sew the ends together to make a loop. Cut a piece of fleece a little longer than your elastic and 3 times as wide. Center the fleece behind the elastic and wrap the fleece around the elastic. so you have one layer behind and 2 layers in front. Sew down the middle with a zig zag (my machine won't, so I stretch as I sew) and sew down your open end.post #7 of 1010/25/12 at 8:13ampost #8 of 1010/25/12 at 8:31ampost #9 of 1010/25/12 at 11:09amThey're super easy. I sew the elastic in place because it shifts inside the fleece and turns into a twisted ropy mess.
Skycheattraffic, your toddler probably won't ever need a bigger size. Our 11 month old just sized up because he is a mega huge baby. He was a 9 pounder and wore a 17 inch belt from 5 weeks (when I made his first one). Our 5 month old was only 7 pounds so we started him in a smaller size. When he grew into the bigger belts we just made new, bigger belts for our older baby. The fleece loses a lot of its fluffy cushiness if its used 24/7, so new ones for size changes seem reasonable. The big guy can still fit the 17 inch belts with a thin diaper and he's 25.5 pounds so the elastic really stretches.
- Which diaper belt to buy in US?
- Car Trips With Cloth Diapers
- › A Saner TTC-The Pink Moon 6 minutes ago
- › Queer Conceptions: May 2013 7 minutes ago
- › All the many symptoms! 9 minutes ago
- › Baby names....anyone brainstorming? 15 minutes ago
- › Ovulation Due Date vs. Ultrasound 21 minutes ago
- › How old is "old enough" to leave a teen home alone overnight? 26 minutes ago
- › Petition to try to save newborns from severe nutrtional deficiences 28 minutes ago
- › Unclean blood draw 30 minutes ago
- › Trilingual - questions about how and choosing the third language 38 minutes ago
- › Previous births, plans for this birth? 52 minutes ago
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by casaDES
- › Lansinoh 20265 Disposable Nursing Pads, 60-pack by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by earobb
- › Medela Nightime Nursing Sleep Bra by earobb
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by earobb
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by earobb
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Why We Homeschool by Sheryl Paul
- › A Mama's Peace by AmandaK
- › 7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom by Melanie Mayo
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by Melanie Mayo
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Amy Lansky
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf