Hi there! I am not a skilled cook, but I guess I am great at raising poultry because I have eggs coming out my ears! Any great, easy ideas to consume and preserve the bounty? Some are chicken, some are duck....I'd be so grateful for your quick recipes....
- categoryNutrition Good Eating
Related Forum Threads
- BPA free pressure canning Last post on 5/13/13 at 9:57pm in Nutrition and Good Eating
- gluten free egg free bread Last post on 5/20/13 at 6:34am in Nutrition and Good Eating
- GAPS friendly cheesecake anyone? Last post on 5/13/13 at 7:56am in Nutrition and Good Eating
- Blooming Garlic Mustard Recipes? Last post on 5/8/13 at 8:42am in Nutrition and Good Eating
- My first batch of Sauerkraut Last post on 5/6/13 at 11:43am in Nutrition and Good Eating
Guest Blogger Patty James on Eating the Rainbow
Edited on 3/15/13
- Obese Parents, Obese Children = A Big Fat Problem in AmericaEdited on 3/13/13
- La petit gourmandEdited on 3/6/13
- Feeding Your Children Part V: Practical TipsEdited on 2/27/13
- Eat Your Brussels SproutsEdited on 3/7/13
Easy recipes to use up eggs?post #1 of 910/15/12 at 12:10amThread Starterpost #2 of 910/15/12 at 12:19amYou can use a lot of eggs making quiches, mini quiches or zucchini slice all of which freeze well.
I like the recipes on www.exclusivelyfood.com but I usually just put in whatever veggies and cheese I happen to have which need using up.
Custard is nice too but only uses yolks and I've never tried freezing it. You can freeze egg whites though if you'll have a use for them in smaller quantities.post #3 of 910/15/12 at 5:49am
Envy, just a tiny bit envious here.
This is my favourite lentil soup recipe. It uses 4 eggs and looks hideous, but is delicious, nutritious and filling, even with the store-bought eggs that I have to make do with when I can't get them at the farmer's market (which will be every week from now until next spring ). Perfect for the kind of stormy fall weather we are having here, so I'm grateful you inspired me to pull it out.
Lentil, garlic and lemon soup (from Matthew Evans)
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium leek, diced
1 carrot, finely diced
1 stalk celery, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups du Puy (French) lentils
5 cups chicken stock or water
salt and pepper
zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
2-3 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
Heat oil and gently saute leek, carrot and celery until softened but not browned. Add garlic and saute another 1 minute. Toss in lentils and stock and simmer for about an hour until the lentils are softened. If the soup thickens too much, add a little water.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat. In a separate bowl, whisk eggswith the lemon zest and juice and a pinch of salt until thick and foamy. Add a spoon of hot soup to the eggs and whisk constantly to temper the eggs, then whisk the eggs into the soup. Add dill. Return to low-medium heat and allow soup to thicken, stirring constantly. Do not let it boil.
Serve with crusty bread. I try to pretty it up a little with a sprinkling of fresh dilll or other herbs.post #4 of 910/15/12 at 7:36amThread Starter
Wow, thank you! This is just what I was hoping for, something beyond the whole omelettes/custards/quiches idea. I never would have thought of lentil soup==perfect for fall! I'm going to make this right away...!post #5 of 910/15/12 at 11:39amQuote:
Great! I love custards and quiches but I imagine a change would be nice if you have a glut of eggs.
I forgot to mention that I sometimes top the lentil soup with plain yoghurt when I serve it. If you want to add some more veggies, it's nice with roasted cubed sweet potato added on top just before serving too.post #6 of 910/15/12 at 11:53ampost #7 of 910/16/12 at 7:35am
I'll make an eggier homemade fried rice (adding 2-3 eggs instead of just one) when I need to use up eggs.
Cook scallions/chopped veggies a few minutes in oil, add cold cooked rice, mix until glossy, add generous amount soy sauce, cook another minute or 2, move everything out of the middle, add your eggs, salt & pepper, scramble until almost done, then mix into rest of your rice.
I'll also make crepes (the kids love this - you can freeze them too, if wrapped well and you put wax paper between them. I'll just wrap them on a plate in the fridge though, and between snacks/dessert-type treats we use them up in a few days).
This is close to the recipe I usually use for a (sweet) crepe. If you want a savory crepe, leave out the vanilla and decrease the sugar - you can make plain savory crepes and serve with veggie-egg scramble inside (like burritos) for dinner or breakfast, also.post #8 of 910/16/12 at 8:17amThread Starterpost #9 of 910/23/12 at 11:03am
how about different kinds of omlettes -the spanish tortilla http://www.finecooking.com/articles/how-to/spanish-tortilla.aspx you can always add veggies to it. we LOVE it esp. in a cast iron pan.
for some reason i just dont like duck eggs. so i have been known to make omlette curry with those http://indianfood.about.com/od/chickendishes/r/omlettecurry.htm
pickled eggs with beet - http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,2336,154180-232207,00.html
ETA i hear you olly. ditto here. wonder if wildflower lives in the southern hemisphere where it is approaching summer.
- Easy recipes to use up eggs?
- Obese Parents, Obese Children = A Big Fat Problem in America
- › my youngest might have chicken pox 1 minute ago
- › ~Weekly Chat Thread for May 17th-May 23~ 2 minutes ago
- › Heartbeat....? 3 minutes ago
- › weekly thread May 20-26 5 minutes ago
- › 40 week roll call! 7 minutes ago
- › Dinner - What Are You Having? 10 minutes ago
- › 6 year old is impossible to wake up in the morning 10 minutes ago
- › "A Nation of Wimps" 10 minutes ago
- › Queer Conceptions: May 2013 11 minutes ago
- › Look how cute the May 2013 DDC babies are! 13 minutes ago
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Lansinoh 20435 Breastmilk Storage Bags, 25-Count Boxes (Pack of 3) by KaliShanti
- › Medela Pump and Save Storage Bags- 20-count by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by KaliShanti
- › Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT BPA Free Natural Polypropylene Bottles by KaliShanti
- › Gilligan & O'Malley® Womens Full Sling Long Nursing Tank by KaliShanti
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by VKHarberRYT
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo