Originally Posted by jengb
Oh that is SO maddening. This idea that Doctors get to "refuse" is beyond me. What was the reason for your 3 cesareans? Are you considering a home birth?
Well, it's a sad story really but I'll share. First c/s was due to "failure to progress" after stalling for 3 hours. I was 16 and didn't know any better. Now I know that it was because I wasn't going fast enough according to the clock. I was admitted at 11pm Feb 12th with no dilation- and of course, that's when the clock started for me. Midnight, I was at 1cm and then they gave me something (against my will) to "help me sleep" (read: slow the labor). Things didn't pick up again until noon when my water started to leak- the REAL time I should have gone to the hospital (well, at the earliest anyway). Dr ruptured my waters without giving me a chance to consent. At 4pm I was at 4cm...3cm in 3 hours sounds pretty darn good to me! Then he announced that he was giving me an epidural. Again, being so young, I didn't know the risks or that I really had the right to object to anything. After my epi, things slowed down. At 7pm, I was still at 4cm and then he informed me that I "needed" a c/s based purely on my "failure to progress". There was nothing wrong with the baby or me. Everything would have been perfectly fine if he hadn't been such a control freak.
C/s 2 was trickery. If you're familiar with the Amber Marlowe story, let me just say, the dr that sought the court order was the dr that did my surgery. He spent the entire pregnancy telling me he'd support my vbac. Then, at 40 weeks, he said that I would have to schedule a c/s just in case I didn't go into labor on my own before 41 weeks. C/s was scheduled for 40w6d and I went into labor the day of, in the pre-op room after registering and therefore technically singing all the consent forms- under the false pretenses that if I went into labor AT ANY TIME before the c/s, I'd be allowed to try. Instead, he acknowledged the contrax, never checked dilation, and had a nurse come in when I could barely speak between contrax to prep me for surgery. I was unable to fight for myself and DH stood there in shock, with his jaw on the floor, not knowing what to do because from his POV, it looked like I was ok with the surgery.
C/s 3 was a blatent refusal to vba2c. Every dr (different office) spent the whole pregnancy telling me how dangerous a vba2c is. One doctor said that ultimately the decision was mine but ended up getting consent from me while I was beyond exhaustion and drugged (stadol). 6 months later, ACOG updated their guidelines in support of vba2c.
The same practice is now telling me that if I had only had 2 sections they'd "allow" me to labor but because I've had 3 (the last one at their hands), they won't "allow" it and that they will just "section my anyway".
This is why I'm willing to travel 2 hours to Einstein if they would support me.
Originally Posted by Mom2M
I just want to let you know that College Heights OB/GYN at LVH in Allentown supported my VBA2C. They have an office at Muhlenberg in Bethlehem also.
Molly Peters was really great and especially supportive. Good luck! I hope you get your VBAC
Thank you so much for the info, I will contact them!
Originally Posted by jengb
The other ICAN chapter leader had this to say:
She needs to pay her hospital a visit. The ones who hold hospital protocols are ultimately the nurses. On their web page they say they ARE Vba2c friendly and they even have a vbac webinar for free by their chief OB. However, experience tells me that the best way to know is to either call or visit and ask to speak directly to the head nurse of OB/Maternity floor. If her OB is skirting around this at 29 weeks it's not a good sign from the OB. Nonetheless, with a doula, proper determination, and knowing directly from the head nurse the good, the bad, and the ugly she might be able to have her vba2c...provided she shows up pretty advanced in labor or ready to push.
Is that helpful?
Can she maybe direct us to where it says that on their website? I cannot find it. I did watch the webinar a couple weeks ago and that does not seem completely anti-vba2c but that's the only semi-supportive information I've been able to locate.