We're planning to UC for a number of reasons. I can easily say that if it were right after our HBAC, I wouldn't have any doubt or fear that I could do this. But...since my HBAC I have had two losses (one at 14 weeks and one at 15 weeks). Both of those births were induced and required a trip to the OR for retained placenta. In both cases, the placenta had detached but my cervix had already closed too far for them to come out.
I will be 17 weeks tomorrow. I'm feeling okay and have been caring for myself appropriately. DH is very supportive and on board. I'm actually quite at peace about the idea of a UC, but there seems to be this fear or doubt niggling in the back of my mind. There are 2 main fears I have. Either the placenta won't release and I will require transfer/intervention or the baby will be malpositioned in some way (hand by face or breech, OP doesn't bother me because my last baby was OP) and I will have a difficult birth that would require a small amount of assistance if a midwife were here. But it doesn't feel like a "you can't have a UC because these things will happen" but more of a "what if" kind of fear/doubt. I am a L&D nurse (although I haven't practiced in the hospital for a few years), so I know that I could recognize issues if I were caring for a client, but I'm not sure I'm going to have presence of mind to assess it in myself.
We are just a few blocks from a small county hospital (staffed by family practice docs), but far (an hour) from any OB type care.
I guess my question is were you 100% at peace, no doubts/no fears before you decided/had a UC? How did you deal with it, if or when fears cropped up during your pregnancy or birth?