- 153 Posts. Joined 4/2011
- Select All Posts By This User
- topicPre Teens
Related Forum Threads
- Unschooling and preteens and teens Last post on Yesterday at 5:08 am in Preteens and Teens
- talking to my kiddos about our friend's suicide Last post on 6/9/13 at 6:59pm in Preteens and Teens
- Book Recommendations for Raising Tweens/Teens Last post on 6/9/13 at 12:46am in Preteens and Teens
- Help my dd wants to quit piano bc she can't read music! Last post on 6/6/13 at 3:47pm in The Childhood Years
- underarm hair in 8 yr old Last post on 6/6/13 at 7:01pm in Preteens and Teens
Five Tips for Helping Tweens (Re)Discover Pleasure Reading
Edited on 4/18/13
- Baby, baby, baby ohhEdited on 3/30/13
- Baby, baby, baby ohh
Suggestions for 7-16 girls clothes that aren't babyish or too girly?
Some Forever 21's have a girls department. We've had good luck there... lots of different styles and looks available. My DD is 15 and never been into the glittery stuff either but I'll be honest, I didn't even think that was the style right now. Or maybe it's not the style in our area. Even our Old Navy doesn't have much in the way of glitter.
You might try a nice good-will too. They pretty much weed out all the glitter and logos. You can get some high quality, simple design clothing there for cheap.
Rue 21 is much cheaper and has small sizes but a lot of variety in sizes. My dd can wear some s and some l.
Is there an H&M and/or Zara where you live? They both have a pretty good range of styles. H&M is less expensive than Zara. The sizes at Zara run really small and are junior-ish so she may even be able to get some things in an XXS or XS in the ladies sections and not just shop in the kids sections.
I feel for your daughter. 12 is a tough age if you don't run to the "girly" and don't fit womens clothes yet. I was the same at that age, and skinny like a bean pole and remember struggling to find clothes that fit and that I liked.
Good luck, I hope you find some stuff to make her feel really special
Dsd likes aeropostale-I believe they have a girls department some places, though our mall only has the juniors sizes. FYI she may fit some of the juniors shirts in a size 00 or extra small, which is equal to a 10/12 kids. Dsd is also very tall and skinny (though not so much as your dsd, she is 11 and wears a 12 or 14 slim in pants), but she likes the skinny jeans from Target and says they are the best fit, might be worth a try if she hasn't tried them on yet! I was going to recommend H&M as well, or Gap/Old Navy for more classic stuff in kids sizes.
American Eagle has a kids line called 77kids which might be worth a look. Hollister and Abercrombie kids tend to run small and skinny, so if you can stomach those brands, you might look there. I see basically 10 y/o's shopping in Aeropostale, so I'm guessing your dd could fit there.
One of my DD's is in high school and still wears children's sizes.
She likes sports stores -- especially REI. Most of her pants are miniatures of clothes made for women to hiking in. I've found that its worth the money to get something well made that she really likes. She prefers to have a few nice things rather than tons of clothes.
- › Sleep Habits 2 minutes ago
- › Not scared of birth, scared of people 3 minutes ago
- › Any students of multiple religions? 19 minutes ago
- › vaccines are great 22 minutes ago
- › Argh!! My skin!! 22 minutes ago
- › What did you do today to get ready for your upcoming move (in the... 23 minutes ago
- › Dingoes running into the summer sunshine -- June! 25 minutes ago
- › What clothing for a winter baby? 27 minutes ago
- › (tmi) Spotting with pooping? 35 minutes ago
- › IPV and varicella - skip the last dose? 35 minutes ago
- › Naturekins Leak Proof Reusable Nursing Pads by mom2threegrls
- › Bug Band Insect Repellent Wristbands - Blue by MinneapolisMama
- › Burt's Bees Baby Bee SPF 30 Sunscreen Stick, 0.7 Ounce by lamjenifer
- › Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Baby Head-to-Toe Wash & Shampoo -... by glassesgirlnj
- › Aveeno Cleansing baby shampoo by fayebond
- › Aveeno Soothing Oat Baby Wash by fayebond
- › Earth Mama Body Butter - 8oz by fayebond
- › Maclaren Beginning Travel Kit for Mother by fayebond
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by lightbulb
- › Natural Bug Blend Bug Repellent Spray by fayebond
- › Ouch! How Homeopathy Can Help With Those... by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathic Help for Post-Partum Mothers: a... by Melanie Mayo
- › Adding the Second Child by Sarah Clark
- › 5 Steps for Managing Stress and Anxiety by Melanie Mayo
- › What Marketers Don't Understand About... by Melanie Mayo
- › For the Dads by Rachel Wolf
- › What Happened When This Bereaved Mom Sought A... by momofnatasha
- › More About Soothing Small Tummies from... by Melanie Mayo
- › Get Ready To Read By Playing by Melanie Mayo
- › "Do You Trust Me?" by SantoshaMama