y husband took my son to the doctor (after about two weeks of on again off again fever and coughs) and came home with a prescription for albuteral and an inhaler to treat a "viral" infection. I have not been able to get through to my doctor to ask questions- does anyone have any thoughts or comments?
- categoryHealth Healing
Related Forum Threads
- Fevers: Is it normal for my dd to get fevers within 3 weeks of each other? Last post on Today at 10:26 am in Health and Healing
- Lump in groin/lymph area? Last post on Today at 9:15 am in Health and Healing
- Recurrent Corneal Erosion Last post on Yesterday at 3:03 pm in Health and Healing
- Please help! My children stay sick!! Last post on 5/17/13 at 5:53pm in Health and Healing
- Thyroid infection? (subacute granulomatous thyroiditis) Last post on 5/17/13 at 11:07pm in Health and Healing
Inhaler for a virus?
So sorry for the delayed reply.
It sounds like they think your son had pneumonia or the start of it because they would prescribe the Albuterol to open up his lungs. Pneumonia can be bacterial or viral. The Albuterol won't kill either of them--just open up the lungs (and potentially stop the coughing).
I'm personally not a fan of this route, but I'm also not a fan of Western medicine. I'm also REALLY prone to pneumonia and very severe respiratory infection.
You might want to pose this to one of our MDC "Ask the Experts" forums. There are a few doctors on there (various types depending on the type you're most comfortable with!) who might be able to give you more natural direction if you're interested.
I use a Chinese herbal remedy sold in most Whole Foods, Vitamin Shoppe stores and online called "Clear Lungs" by Ridgecrest Herbals. I know it can be used on children per the label dosing. On the up side, it doesn't have the side effects that Albuterol has. On the down side (but also like Albuterol), it's not going to kill the virus or bacteria that is causing the problem--so you could be taking it for a good week or two (multiple times/day) before the actual illness clears. But it will dry out the liquid building in the lungs.
Hetherdeg….I have a daughter who is prone to pneumonia (age 9). Any tips, resources, what works for you?
Op - what colour is the inhaler?
I assume you also have a areochamber of some sort for the inhaler?
Hi Hetherdeg- thanks for the great leads. When I posted the question, I was freaked out (since I did not have the opportunity to talk to the docotr myself. I went with my gut feeling- did not give the albuteral, but instead gave him lots of acidophilus and regular doses of sambucal. He has been cough free for several days and in good health. I hope we do not see a repeat of this type of infection this year. Thanks to everyone for your comments!
I try to ward off any illness head on. We have been gluten, dairy, soy & corn free for nearly 8 years. We don't eat much processed food. We drink lots of water and if I feel like we're on the verge of something, lots of rest. My son is also prone to respiratory illness due to an IgA deficiency. Two weeks before school starts, we start up with Sambucus daily (and he's homeschooled, but still).
I honestly think lots of water and rest are huge. When a cold starts up, we do a decongestant tea of one bay leaf, three shakes of thyme and 1 Tbl lemon juice (or 1/4 fresh squeezed) steeped in tea-hot water with honey to taste. Kicks in quick and keeps upper respiratory system cleared. I move to intensive dosing of the Sambucus and add oscillo. I used to have Yin Chaio but I have a hard time finding it anymore. Those work for flu/cold. If I feel it getting to bronchitis or in the chest, I use the Clear Lungs remedy I detailed above every 4 hours. And rest.
- Inhaler for a virus?
- › What would you recommend to a mom CD'ing for the first time? 2 minutes ago
- › What do you have your children do to stay occupied and out of trouble? 2 minutes ago
- › What would You do? 4 minutes ago
- › Weekly thread May 13-19th 5 minutes ago
- › How do you cope with screaming and crying, especially when you're... 11 minutes ago
- › when to let cat in the family bed? 16 minutes ago
- › May 2013 Chit Chat 17 minutes ago
- › Changing routine to preserve the last nap? 23 minutes ago
- › dealing with pregnancy headaches 25 minutes ago
- › Items in hospital bag...is this too much? 27 minutes ago
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › Charlie Banana Reusable Feminine Pads Liner Butterfly, Butterfly by Chapsie
- › Earth Mama-Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm, 2 fl oz (60 ml) by Chapsie
- › Econobum Individual by Chapsie
- › EnJoye LBI Deluxe Tote Set - Brown by JennaRose
- › Lusa Organics Booty Balm by emkassu
- › I Took the Moon for a Walk by Melanie Mayo
- › BabyKicks Premium Pocket Diaper by KirstenP
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions - Sustainability Oak... by JenniO11
- › Terms and Conditions - Mothering... by JenniO11