y husband took my son to the doctor (after about two weeks of on again off again fever and coughs) and came home with a prescription for albuteral and an inhaler to treat a "viral" infection. I have not been able to get through to my doctor to ask questions- does anyone have any thoughts or comments?
- categoryHealth Healingtagged by System, 10/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- Hypothyroid treatment and hair issues Last post on 12/3/13 at 6:33pm in Women's Health
- WARNING: Morning after pill loses effectiveness if ur more than 165lbs Last post on 11/26/13 at 5:52am in Women's Health
- Street Health Fair Last post on 11/28/13 at 10:14am in Women's Health
- Yeast...yeast ...YEAST!! Last post on 11/20/13 at 9:49pm in Women's Health
- natural treatments for cyst? Last post on 11/26/13 at 6:32am in Women's Health
Thanks for Thinking Pink, Hollywood, Now How About Kids with Cancer?
Last edited: 11/2/13
- The Crunchy Mom’s Guide to Working with Your PediatricianLast edited: 10/25/13
- An asthma epidemic and a climate crisisLast edited: 10/31/12
- Mood NeurotransmittersLast edited: 6/27/11
Inhaler for a virus?post #1 of 510/26/12 at 7:24pmThread Starterpost #2 of 511/1/12 at 12:07am
So sorry for the delayed reply.
It sounds like they think your son had pneumonia or the start of it because they would prescribe the Albuterol to open up his lungs. Pneumonia can be bacterial or viral. The Albuterol won't kill either of them--just open up the lungs (and potentially stop the coughing).
I'm personally not a fan of this route, but I'm also not a fan of Western medicine. I'm also REALLY prone to pneumonia and very severe respiratory infection.
You might want to pose this to one of our MDC "Ask the Experts" forums. There are a few doctors on there (various types depending on the type you're most comfortable with!) who might be able to give you more natural direction if you're interested.
I use a Chinese herbal remedy sold in most Whole Foods, Vitamin Shoppe stores and online called "Clear Lungs" by Ridgecrest Herbals. I know it can be used on children per the label dosing. On the up side, it doesn't have the side effects that Albuterol has. On the down side (but also like Albuterol), it's not going to kill the virus or bacteria that is causing the problem--so you could be taking it for a good week or two (multiple times/day) before the actual illness clears. But it will dry out the liquid building in the lungs.post #3 of 511/1/12 at 8:05am
Hetherdeg….I have a daughter who is prone to pneumonia (age 9). Any tips, resources, what works for you?
Op - what colour is the inhaler?
I assume you also have a areochamber of some sort for the inhaler?post #4 of 511/1/12 at 4:34pmThread Starter
Hi Hetherdeg- thanks for the great leads. When I posted the question, I was freaked out (since I did not have the opportunity to talk to the docotr myself. I went with my gut feeling- did not give the albuteral, but instead gave him lots of acidophilus and regular doses of sambucal. He has been cough free for several days and in good health. I hope we do not see a repeat of this type of infection this year. Thanks to everyone for your comments!post #5 of 511/1/12 at 9:22pm
I try to ward off any illness head on. We have been gluten, dairy, soy & corn free for nearly 8 years. We don't eat much processed food. We drink lots of water and if I feel like we're on the verge of something, lots of rest. My son is also prone to respiratory illness due to an IgA deficiency. Two weeks before school starts, we start up with Sambucus daily (and he's homeschooled, but still).
I honestly think lots of water and rest are huge. When a cold starts up, we do a decongestant tea of one bay leaf, three shakes of thyme and 1 Tbl lemon juice (or 1/4 fresh squeezed) steeped in tea-hot water with honey to taste. Kicks in quick and keeps upper respiratory system cleared. I move to intensive dosing of the Sambucus and add oscillo. I used to have Yin Chaio but I have a hard time finding it anymore. Those work for flu/cold. If I feel it getting to bronchitis or in the chest, I use the Clear Lungs remedy I detailed above every 4 hours. And rest.
- The Crunchy Mom’s Guide to Working with Your Pediatrician
- › Just try out marble chocolate bread 9 minutes ago
- › Recommend a first-time birth plan? 23 minutes ago
- › "Create Your Own Holiday Cards" Giveaway 24 minutes ago
- › What is my baby trying to tell me?! 26 minutes ago
- › 10-15 Minute Cleaning Sessions (New Thread) 31 minutes ago
- › Due Date Roll Call 38 minutes ago
- › Chicken Pox - My son has been excused from school 43 minutes ago
- › Struggling with my C-section 43 minutes ago
- › Introduce Yourself! 1 hour, 32 minutes ago
- › Cravings 1 hour, 39 minutes ago
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Bamboletta Doll by sleeping mama
- › Melissa & Doug Cutting Food Box by ahilal
- › Prince Lionheart Whirl Balance Scooter, Natural/Pink by Melanie Mayo
- › Elves and Angels Sylvie's Wood Kitchen by Melanie Mayo
- › Natural Earth Paints Face Paint by Melanie Mayo
- › Glob Greeting Card Collage Kit with Seedpaper by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Stephafriendly
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Vaccinations and George W Bush by Brian Leaf
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Monica S
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo
- › 21 Toys Under $21 | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo
- › Toys to Splurge On | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo