My DD is 22 months and while she has never gone to sleep before 9p, she is staying up very late. We started out co-sleeping and attempted to transition her to her own bed over a year ago, but she has yet to sleep through the night in her own bed, with the exception of a few random times.
Our attempted routine:
- We bathe her sometime between 8p-9p, then diaper and dress her.
- Then we give her a sippy cup of water with a splash of milk and try to get her to lay down in her own bed.
- Once we get her into her own bed, either DH or I lay down with her and read her a few books.
- Eventually, she gets sleepy and she snuggles into us to dose off.
- Then we sneak away to our bedroom.
- She usually wanders into our room around 1 or 2am, but DH and I are so exhausted from work that we just let her crawl into our bed.
- We don't sleep very good with her in our beds because she moves around so much and hangs on to us for dear life.
- We both wake up groggy and get ready for work.
- Then when I pick DD up from daycare, they report that she had a 2 hour nap.
On the weekends when DD is with us the whole time, I think she is just so excited to hang out with us that she doesn't want to nap. As of the last 3 weeks, DD won't fall asleep till nearly midnight. She is running around her room, jumping on the bed and having a grand ol' time.
DH and are exhausted and we kind of miss each other as there is never any downtime for the two of us to connect.
We don't know what to do. And everyone tells us how we need to get more sleep and so does she, but no one has answers. I would appreciate any tips, thoughts you might have. Thanks in advance to all.