Currently, both my kids attend a small, private, crunchy school. My DH and I are becoming increasingly unhappy with the school, especially for one of our daughters, who is gifted and wants to be an engineer. The math and science program is the pits, and if she stays at the this school, she will not be prepared for college at all. She might not even be prepared for community college. The fact that we are paying for it and the education is inadequate just makes it worse.
We are looking at her options, and checking out other schools. We have several charters, plus we live in a "good" district. Our local public high school has 1900 students, and that just freaks me out. I'm trying to get a hold of someone to get a meeting, and even that is difficult.
We have a high ranking charter right down the street, and in some ways, it's great. But it is overly academic to the exclusion of everything else. It's all about AP classes, which they start having the kids take in 8th grade. They say to plan on a minimum of 2 1/2 hours of homework a night. They do, of course, have amazing test scores and get their grads into great universities (with lots of scholarships), but at what cost? I want to make sure my DD gets a solid highschool education -- I don't feel she needs to be getting a college education while she is still highschool age. KWIM? They don't even have a school choir. My DH loves it (he and I took a tour yesterday) and our DD has agreed to shadow a student there for a day and see what it is like. I'm sure she could do it if she really wanted to (she is very bright, hardworking, etc), but I have serious reservations.
I called another charter and have a meeting there next week and feel better about it, but it is 45 minutes from our house. A friend of mine recommended a 3rd charter, and I'm going to call them tomorrow.
We don't know when we will make the switch. She might finish out the year where she is -- she has friends and she is happy. But she isn't going back next year. We are down to figuring where she is switching to and when to make the switch.
I am so stressed out. I feel really angry that her school has allowed the program to deteriorate the way they have. I hate that we have to have her switch. And I felt so good about this decision when we made it that it is really making me second guess everything about picking a school.
We've moved a zillion times and she has had so many upheavals. When we put her in this school, we told her that she could graduate from here, that she wouldn't have to switch again. But things are really bad -- she is not getting a highschool education.
Edited by Linda on the move - 1/23/13 at 10:30pm