How much does your children influence your families travel destinations?
Related Forum Threads
- At what age are children allowed to make their own decisions? Last post on 5/17/13 at 8:47am in Preteens and Teens
- Is it ever okay to invade your child’s privacy? Last post on 5/1/13 at 10:38pm in Parenting
- Help with my son's grade 8 science fair project? Last post on 5/11/13 at 5:29pm in Preteens and Teens
- Summer camp: segregated by gender; or co-ed? Last post on 2/19/13 at 1:07pm in Preteens and Teens
- in need of parental control for internet! Last post on 2/14/13 at 7:12pm in Preteens and Teens
Five Tips for Helping Tweens (Re)Discover Pleasure Reading
Edited on 4/18/13
- Why Not Apply to Harvard? If You Don't Get Rejected Sometimes,...Edited on 3/19/13
- A Life-Ending Deal
Travel Destinationspost #2 of 411/2/12 at 1:29pmpost #3 of 411/3/12 at 2:25pm
A little bit.
My older daughter only wants to visit really large cities (New York city comes to mind), where as others in this house prefer more nature oriented vacations.
We have thought of doubling up - hitting the Adirondacks for a few days, then NYC, but people do not like that idea either.
It is tough. I usually accept input, but ultimately decide. I do try to balance everyones needs - and they do get quite a bit of say once they are at the destination. The outlet shops are not my idea of fun - but they are DD's, so off we went. My kids are lucky they get as many vacations as they do - and I try to keep that in mind (i.e no whining that you are on a beach in Nova Scotia instead of a hotel in NYC…it is very entitled)
Edited by kathymuggle - 11/5/12 at 12:09pmpost #4 of 411/5/12 at 7:20am
A fair amount. They decided on where we would go on the last couple of family trips. They wanted to go to New York city and I wanted to go to Mexico and lie on a beach.
If DH and I decide on a travel destination, we keep in mind what is available for the kids and what they would enjoy. When we are planning specifics, the kids get a lot of input on choosing activities and attractions.
A few years ago, we traveled around New Zealand. We took in a fair number of Lord of the Rings sites and some adventure experiences (zorb, luge) that I might not have chosen if it was just DH and me. We skipped the vineyards entirely, to my ever-lasting regret, because they were too young to drink. OTOH, I don't think they would have chosen to spend as much time in the botanical gardens or other such places if DH and I hadn't taken them there.
I figure a vacation should be fun for all members of the family. That means everyone gets some input and everyone does a little compromising.
- Travel Destinations
- Why Not Apply to Harvard? If You Don't Get Rejected Sometimes,...
- › ~+~+~+~+~ May 2013 Chat *~*~*~*~* 1 minute ago
- › weekly thread May 20-26 2 minutes ago
- › The group pic 3 minutes ago
- › Negative pregnancy test, late period and home birth questions 8 minutes ago
- › ISO Oak Meadow PreK - 1st Grade 11 minutes ago
- › Signs of Impending Labor - chat thread 15 minutes ago
- › Win a Complete Homeschool Curriculum from Oak Meadow!! 15 minutes ago
- › How are you feeling? 19 minutes ago
- › May 2013 Chit Chat 21 minutes ago
- › 3 yo LOVES TV...what have I done? 23 minutes ago
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by earobb
- › Medela Nightime Nursing Sleep Bra by earobb
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by earobb
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by earobb
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Lansinoh 20435 Breastmilk Storage Bags, 25-Count Boxes (Pack of 3) by KaliShanti
- › Medela Pump and Save Storage Bags- 20-count by KaliShanti
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo