How much does your children influence your families travel destinations?
Related Forum Threads
- 12 year old boy is weepy. Causes? Last post on Yesterday at 12:37 pm in Preteens and Teens
- What does your 12 year old boy do in his spare time? Last post on 2/27/14 at 8:41am in Preteens and Teens
- Increasing negative behavior since preteen years Last post on 2/17/14 at 4:24am in Preteens and Teens
- What do focus on when parenting teens? Last post on 3/3/14 at 9:09pm in Preteens and Teens
- When is it not ok for opposite sex siblings to share a room? Last post on 2/28/14 at 2:52pm in Preteens and Teens
Parenting Advice for Raising Teenagers
Last edited: 2/18/14
- Would You Let Your 9-Year-Old Shave Her Legs?Last edited: 8/2/13
- Five Tips for Helping Tweens (Re)Discover Pleasure ReadingLast edited: 4/18/13
- Why Not Apply to Harvard? If You Don't Get Rejected Sometimes,...Last edited: 3/19/13
- A Life-Ending DealLast edited: 4/7/13
Travel Destinationspost #1 of 411/2/12 at 6:35amThread Starterpost #2 of 411/2/12 at 1:29pmpost #3 of 411/3/12 at 2:25pm
A little bit.
My older daughter only wants to visit really large cities (New York city comes to mind), where as others in this house prefer more nature oriented vacations.
We have thought of doubling up - hitting the Adirondacks for a few days, then NYC, but people do not like that idea either.
It is tough. I usually accept input, but ultimately decide. I do try to balance everyones needs - and they do get quite a bit of say once they are at the destination. The outlet shops are not my idea of fun - but they are DD's, so off we went. My kids are lucky they get as many vacations as they do - and I try to keep that in mind (i.e no whining that you are on a beach in Nova Scotia instead of a hotel in NYC…it is very entitled)
Edited by kathymuggle - 11/5/12 at 12:09pmpost #4 of 411/5/12 at 7:20am
A fair amount. They decided on where we would go on the last couple of family trips. They wanted to go to New York city and I wanted to go to Mexico and lie on a beach.
If DH and I decide on a travel destination, we keep in mind what is available for the kids and what they would enjoy. When we are planning specifics, the kids get a lot of input on choosing activities and attractions.
A few years ago, we traveled around New Zealand. We took in a fair number of Lord of the Rings sites and some adventure experiences (zorb, luge) that I might not have chosen if it was just DH and me. We skipped the vineyards entirely, to my ever-lasting regret, because they were too young to drink. OTOH, I don't think they would have chosen to spend as much time in the botanical gardens or other such places if DH and I hadn't taken them there.
I figure a vacation should be fun for all members of the family. That means everyone gets some input and everyone does a little compromising.
- Would You Let Your 9-Year-Old Shave Her Legs?
- › Tick/ lyme disease danger at school! 5 minutes ago
- › cold or flu? 7 minutes ago
- › Help me with songs! 7 minutes ago
- › 100 day project 13 minutes ago
- › Pregnancy Photo Contest Sponsored by Sacred Pregnancy, Nordic... 20 minutes ago
- › Hello! 20 minutes ago
- › do you wear make-up? 21 minutes ago
- › Worried about measles in NYC 22 minutes ago
- › mixed emotions... 31 minutes ago
- › 50/ 50 divorce questions 32 minutes ago
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › Low Prep Art Projects for Kids by AmandaK
- › 8 Ways Natural Birth Helps With Breastfeeding by Sarah Clark
- › Probiotics and Your Little Ones by JenniO11
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild