or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › using found wood -- does it need to be treated?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

using found wood -- does it need to be treated?

post #1 of 3
Thread Starter 

We have some birch from a tree that died that was kind of special.  I don't know what was wrong with the tree.  I'd like to use the wood to make some crafts.  Do I need to treat it somehow?  I can't find any noticible bugs.  I think it's pretty dry.  It's been hanging around outside for over a year. 

post #2 of 3

I don't do anything to my wood before working with it, though I tend to use green wood rather than dry stuff.

 

Once I'm done I finish with a coat of oil, usually walnut as it gives a nice finish and is safe on things to be used with food (most of my carving to date has been spoons).

post #3 of 3
I've had 50/50 success with it... once it came out perfect, another time it started to grow mold. I've heard you can dry wood out in the oven to ensure it's dry enough to not mold, but haven't tried it yet. The one that grew mold was a tree that had recently fallen, so maybe that's why (the other was older wood).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Arts & Crafts
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › using found wood -- does it need to be treated?