or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at School › Waldorf › What Christmas presents will your children be getting?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What Christmas presents will your children be getting?

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

Sorry if this is a bit early! :)

 

I want to finish our 2.5 year old daughter's Christmas present shopping soon as we live in NZ and I tend to find it easier to find appropriate gifts online, which have to be shipped...

 

I am looking for some gift inspiration, please! smile.gif

post #2 of 28

Thanks for starting this!  I've been thinking about the same things, since we do mostly mail order, too.  I'm not entirely sure for me, but we've responded with the following items when we've been asked:

 

Small rolling pin

Flame tunnel

Elves and Angels kitchen

Kathe Kruse dollhouse fairy

 

I've been pondering over these items from us for our two children:

 

http://www.forsmallhands.com/cleaning-up/hardwood-clothesline-stand

http://www.forsmallhands.com/games-activities/building-construction/deep-into-the-forest

post #3 of 28

I thank you, too. We order much online, too.


Edited by 1SmallAxe - 11/7/12 at 2:46pm
post #4 of 28
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the links, both of you :)

 

My daughter (2.5) will be getting this bus with people: http://www.etsy.com/listing/62398368/bus

 

And these natural threading beads (local listing) http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=528746927. I am not sure if threading beads really fit within the Waldorf philosophy or not, but we're not purists either way.

 

She is also getting a doll's pram. I've been thinking about silk streamers, but not sure how much use they'd get. She already has a collection of wooden animals. In fact, we have a lot of wood so some other natural textures would be nice. Usually I am very conservative with our gift-giving but she has outgrown so many of her things, so she will receive more than usual this Christmas and then I'll find new homes for what she no longer uses.

post #5 of 28

A friend of mine has that very bus and her children love it!  Perhaps playsilks instead of streamers?  They get lots of use at our house--very open-ended.

post #6 of 28

I don't have a complete list figured out yet and our house is well stocked with goodies but I am mulling over these. We have DS (5) (wild imagination, amazing with the simplest toys but is moving into a heavy lego phase) and DD (3) (not as imaginative at a young age but becoming more so).

 

My mom/sister buy one nice gift each off a wish list so that will reduce my shopping a bit. We buy for Hannakah too.

 

Dress up clothes of some type for each, either some of the sweet handmade masks on etsy or the Sarah's Silks unicorn/dragon/fairy wings clothes or maybe some new play silk colors; there is also a sweet glitter cape at A Toy Garden

 

Another room for their castle/barn http://www.toideloi.com/products.html plus a Kathy Kruse horse that fits their dollhouse people from Magic Cabin

 

Some sort of add on to their Tegu blocks, probably a colored version

 

Some sort of add on to their Haba ball track, something twisty

 

Found a very cool handmade bow and arrow for DS at a Ren fair; either that or a custom order scimtar from http://www.etsy.com/listing/80692325/handmade-leather-dagger-w-lion-emblem

 

Something dolly-orientated or housekeeping-like for DS.

 

I often buy legos off ebay from adult collectors who remove the licensed minifigures for their collections. I don't want the licensed stuff anyway so it works out well and is cheaper.

 

I'll have a newborn soon so I am not particularly mobile but am going to try and make a frame some sort of art for their rooms.

post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachiamama View Post

Thanks for starting this!  I've been thinking about the same things, since we do mostly mail order, too.  I'm not entirely sure for me, but we've responded with the following items when we've been asked:

 

Small rolling pin

Flame tunnel

Elves and Angels kitchen

Kathe Kruse dollhouse fairy

 

I've been pondering over these items from us for our two children:

 

http://www.forsmallhands.com/cleaning-up/hardwood-clothesline-stand

http://www.forsmallhands.com/games-activities/building-construction/deep-into-the-forest

If you are already placing an order from For Small Hands, my DS loves loves the little lambswool duster and the functional vegetable brush. They get used for real and play all the time.

post #8 of 28

I was just thinking of starting a post!

 

We are all over the place with this Christmas

 

DD wants an American Girl doll so she will most likely be getting that as her "big" gift from Santa. I spent awhile on Etsy and found some great sweet outfits + accessories to go along with the doll so I will probably put that together. She's very much into doll play and has been asking daily for one. That + some science and craft kits from my parents, and more dress up clothes are what I have so far. I found some sweet things on Etsy for dress up (a felted crown, a toadstool cape etc..) 

 

DS is going to be getting a pirate ship and not sure what else. NEED INSPIRATION! He will be getting dress up clothes too and I'm thinking a knight outfit + bow and arrow..not sure what else!

post #9 of 28

I am soooo far from deciding! We try to keep our gifts pretty small.

 

For my older son, I purchased this wooden barn kit from Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/transaction/101173032

 

I'm going to soak the wood in water and then paint it with watercolors. He and his papa can put work together to build it.  I had planned to either knit barn animals for him or maybe find some nice wooden ones. The latter is more likely to happen since time is precious these days. 

 

He has woolens to last him through the winter but he's in need of a few pairs of good quality socks so I'm looking for durable wool socks. He'll also get a winter-themed book and, if I can find it, a few nice tub toys/natural bubble bath whose ingredients don't leave me shuddering.

 

My younger son will be just three months old. I'm in LOVE with these: http://nuiorganics.gostorego.com/knickerbockers.html. Maybe he'll also get a locally-made wooden rattle and a wool/silk cap. Maybe a silk butterfly mobile to hang over the bed in our room for him.

post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommariffic View Post

I was just thinking of starting a post!

 

We are all over the place with this Christmas

 

DD wants an American Girl doll so she will most likely be getting that as her "big" gift from Santa. I spent awhile on Etsy and found some great sweet outfits + accessories to go along with the doll so I will probably put that together. She's very much into doll play and has been asking daily for one. That + some science and craft kits from my parents, and more dress up clothes are what I have so far. I found some sweet things on Etsy for dress up (a felted crown, a toadstool cape etc..) 

 

DS is going to be getting a pirate ship and not sure what else. NEED INSPIRATION! He will be getting dress up clothes too and I'm thinking a knight outfit + bow and arrow..not sure what else!

FYI- If your son is into pirate/knight dress up this was a huge hit this year: http://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Chain-Dress-Up-Costume-Accessory/dp/B005HAW6RI/ref=sr_1_4?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1352348710&sr=1-4&keywords=haba+pirate+dress+up  It just came out this year and very good quality, especially for the price. 

 

DD has one of the AG Bitty Twin dolls (you can buy them individually in the store) and it does seem to have kindled a love of doll play that she didn't have before. (I am afraid the more beautiful Waldorf doll gets left in the dust mostly.) They are half the price of the dolls directed for older kids and the accessories/clothes are a better fit for her age. 

post #11 of 28
Thread Starter 

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ArmadilloDreams

 

 
 
 
^Those are a few cool Etsy toy shops I came across recently. I think I need to figure out what play gaps I can fill - we do need a bit of a toy clear-out & replace, but I don't want to over-buy, either.
post #12 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by willfulmama View Post

I am soooo far from deciding! We try to keep our gifts pretty small.

 

For my older son, I purchased this wooden barn kit from Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/transaction/101173032

 

 

That barn set is cute! :)

post #13 of 28

I am offering this gift for my nephew who is 3 years old!!

 

 

 

post #14 of 28

-ostheimer baby figurine

-more postcards (seasonal, elsa beskow, $1/each)

-sew a crayon holder


Edited by aHikaru - 11/11/12 at 9:54pm
post #15 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aHikaru View Post

-ostheimer baby figurine

-ostheimer figurine

-more postcards

-more crayons, possibly sew a crayon holder


Hi, sorry for the silly question - what do you mean by postcards?

post #16 of 28

Art postcards, like these: http://www.imaginedition.com/art_postcards.htm

 

http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=151

 

http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=152

 

They're good for framing and seasonal tables.  I actually got some for Christmas last year, myself.   I've enjoyed them all year.  love.gif

post #17 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachiamama View Post

Art postcards, like these: http://www.imaginedition.com/art_postcards.htm

 

http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=151

 

http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=152

 

They're good for framing and seasonal tables.  I actually got some for Christmas last year, myself.   I've enjoyed them all year.  love.gif

 

Thanks for the links! They are beautiful :)

post #18 of 28

Thanks for the pirate link! He does love his pirates -- that and any sort of train 

 

I'm feeling crazed! I see so much I would love to get kids but than I think do they really need it. We have so many wonderful things...

 

I ended up looking on Ebay and finding Felicity (the retired) American Girl doll, and she came with her horse. My DD is very much into horses (she rides, and is obsessed) and I know she'll love it. My MIL offered $100 towards accessories for the doll and I've been mixing and matching on Etsy and Ebay. I found some outfits (white ruffled nightgown, a Christmas dress, and another 1700s outfit) and I want to get her a little chair or desk or something. We have a doll bed already for my sons Waldorf doll...

 

I'm also thinking of making her or buying a doctor or vet kit. She's been asking but I can't find one I like! It's either too cheesy and plastic or too boring. Help? I've also decided to make DS a pirate loot box and I'm going to get cold coins, fake jewels and whatever else and fill it up. My DH is an amazing artist so I'll ask him to paint it. This will be part of the dress up stuff - I got DD a Little House on the Prairie type dress and an owl costume and I got the kids felt swords + crowns (felt so they can beat each other and I won't feel bad..) 

 

Last year DD's "big" present was the Log Cabin dollhouse from Magic Cabin, and than our puppy ate all the little baskets and whatever that came with it so in her letter to Santa she asked for a new one. I'll probably put that in her stocking. I also got some winter silks and things to decorate her fairy house and that will be a present or an advent activity, can't decide! 

 

I feel like I'm spinning out of control with this Christmas stuff. Happens EVERY year!

post #19 of 28

DD is getting a doll bed. She's decided her dolls are too grown up for the doll cradle. 

 

DS is getting a science kit and a fishing game for the bathtub, which is quite cute with little wooden "fishing rods" and ducks with little holes so you can pick them up with the hooks. 

 

We just did a big clothes shop, and they are also getting skiing lift tickets and gear. 

post #20 of 28

wool clothing, haba sticky bricks, and a balance bike. we like to keep it simple. he'll be almost 2.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Waldorf
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at School › Waldorf › What Christmas presents will your children be getting?