What were your major reasons for going with a Homebirth? Would you do it again? Was your partner on board with the choice all along? If not, how did you convince them that a HB was the way to go?
I am trying to figure out which way to go. I really like the idea of a HB, but I'm not sure that my DH is really "on board" with it. He would prefer to go to the city, where we had our first DC. Which was actually not a bad experience, but I can't imagine traveling that far for every appointment. Or being in a car for that long during labor. There are 2 local hospitals within a reasonable distance to us; one we could probably have a reasonably non intervention birth, but if something were to go wrong they aren't the best critical care place. The other hospital would be really hard to have a natural birth (despite being a community hospital, they have the highest section rate in the area and most of the MW practices will no longer work with that hospital), but would be a better choice in terms of critical care (they actually have a NICU), which is the reason why we would want to be at a hospital anyway...in case of an emergency.
My cousin and his wife just had a baby at the first local hospital I mentioned. The baby had her hand over her head and my cousin's wife was unable to push out the baby...so they waited a bit for the epidural to wear off so that she had more feeling and could push better. During that wait Mom spiked a fever, so they decided to do a section. They gave her another epi, but while they were waiting for it to take effect, baby's blood pressure dropped, so they gave Mom a shot of morphine, and immediately made an incision. Mom felt EVERYTHING. The epi hadn't kicked in yet and I guess the morphine wasn't enough. Everyone is okay, but a bit traumatized at this point. (My cousin looks like he aged 10 years; listening to her screaming was horrifying, and there was nothing he could do). I am really in disbelief about what happened, and it makes me really want to do a HB.
That being said, one of MIL's friends was considering HB and decided against it. She ended up having an amniotic embolism, so being in the hospital definitely saved her life, so I know MIL would be beside herself if we chose HB, and DH takes her feelings seriously. (Looking into the embolisms, I know having interventions increases the odds significantly, which are really low anyway).
So what is your story?