or Connect
Mothering › Groups › February 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › Weight gain!

Weight gain! - Page 2

post #21 of 69

My weight is all out in front, which I suppose is good but is also very uncomfortable in terms of straining on my sides.

I have gained 25 lbs in 25 weeks, so I'm right on for where I wanted to be for twins--I was at 24 by 24 weeks and want to be at 28 by 28. I feel that my hunger is tapering off at this point--I no longer wake up famished in the middle of the night and am not always needing a pre-bedtime snack.

My only real complaint is that with all the weight in the belly and up a little high, my maternity shirts from earlier are now too short. Only dresses from now on, I think. I ordered a couple that are just below the knee, so hopefully even toward the end I can still wear them as shirts :)

post #22 of 69

I'm really not positive on how much weight I've gained since I found out we were expecting....I found out when we were 9wks+5days....I know when my feet began to swell in 1 wk I had gained almost 10lbs, but thank goodness by the next week feet were back to normal and the almost 10lbs was gone wahoo...my next OB app is on the 29th I'm gonna ask what was my weight when I first seen the doc, and compare it to what I weigh now....I'm thinking I've gained about 15lbs so far and I'm 6mo 1wk

post #23 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBarr View Post

How is everyone doing on the weight gain?  I noticed a few mamas mentioning having some trouble gaining, and thought maybe we could talk more about that.  I haven't been gaining much, although my Midwives aren't worried just keeping an eye on it.  However, too much and not enough weight gain has been linked to preterm labor, which I've been having issue with (I'm on bed rest), so I want to be careful about gaining enough that I'm not irritating the situation!  I gained over 60lbs with each of my other two pregnancies (11 and 8.5 years ago), so it seems so odd that I'm the opposite this time.  Hopefully it'll pick up.

 

I'm 24w1d and have gained 11lbs!  Which is great because when I was in last time at 21w (ish) I had only gained 5 lbs!  So I'm real glad it's picking up, and I'm finally feeling that pregnancy hunger, which is especially exciting as I struggled with severe nausea for the first 16 weeks, it's great to WANT to eat now!  (Why can't this pregnancy be simple?)

 

I really believe that if you listen to your body and make good, whole food choices you will gain what you need to, but I've gotten to a place where I'm wavering in that opinion, and maybe that opinion of my body in general.  It's just not working right this time.  :(

 

How about everyone else?  Gaining like you want to?

 

I'm pretty similar. Nausea for the first 16 weeks and force feeding myself certainly didn't pack on the lbs. I finally made it to where I'm supposed to be at 25 weeks. People (not my Dr though) still say I'm "small" but I'm thinking their idea of small is really not that small and I'm more than happy to tell them I'm normal and the baby is normal so everyone can just settle down! 

post #24 of 69
Thread Starter 

People are dumb when commenting about size of a pregnant lady.  People have told me from the beginning how huge I am.  I did start showing early, but huge, seriously?  I hadn't gained a pound and people were telling me I looked like I was six months along.  It's so silly.  It has nothing to do with actual size or weight gain, it's just perception.  Although, I did show early and I have continued to look "big" for my gestation, I measure perfectly.  Its just how I "look".

post #25 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBarr View Post

People are dumb when commenting about size of a pregnant lady.  People have told me from the beginning how huge I am.  I did start showing early, but huge, seriously?  I hadn't gained a pound and people were telling me I looked like I was six months along.  It's so silly.  It has nothing to do with actual size or weight gain, it's just perception.  Although, I did show early and I have continued to look "big" for my gestation, I measure perfectly.  Its just how I "look".

TOTALLY!!!

 

for a long time i just look chubby, then people comment on how huge i am, then they say i can't possibly be due (or overdue) and then afterwards they alternate between 'you don't look like you've had a baby.'  and 'wow, did you gain a LOT of weight with your pregnancy?'  

 

and it has nothing to do w/ weight gain!

post #26 of 69

I'm realizing that how you carry has more to do with how big or small you appear rather than actual weight. My friends are all really great with the positive comments. Perfect strangers? Not so much.
 

post #27 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by typebug View Post

I'm realizing that how you carry has more to do with how big or small you appear rather than actual weight. My friends are all really great with the positive comments. Perfect strangers? Not so much.
 

And everyone has different opinions about how big and small you should be.  I still have people say I look huge... (Mostly from MIL, thanks....)  My grandma also says stuff about me looking big or gaining too much or whatever.  I think people that lived back then gained much less weight (10-15 lbs total???)  and wore clothes to hide the bump... I like to wear tight shirts to show it off!

post #28 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMama View Post

And everyone has different opinions about how big and small you should be.  I still have people say I look huge... (Mostly from MIL, thanks....)  My grandma also says stuff about me looking big or gaining too much or whatever.  I think people that lived back then gained much less weight (10-15 lbs total???)  and wore clothes to hide the bump... I like to wear tight shirts to show it off!

 

Oh that's true. I hadn't thought about the role fashion plays in it too. 

post #29 of 69

There was a lovely woman at the market yesterday who dared to guess how far along I was and she was exactly right! I think I'll hang on to that for a while to discourage any thoughts I had that I might be getting too big.

post #30 of 69
Thread Starter 
I think that how you dress may have the biggest effect. I look really different depending on what I wear. I like to show it off as opposed to hiding it because with very loose clothing I can just look fat (especially in the first trimester!). It's all in the eye of the beholder, really.
post #31 of 69

i love my bump. but i do not love my butt right now, so skirts are out. got junk in the trunk.

post #32 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybeth View Post

i love my bump. but i do not love my butt right now, so skirts are out. got junk in the trunk.

Word.
I think it's fair to say we're all getting pretty bootylicious these days.
post #33 of 69

I'm thoroughly enjoying my big butt right now! It's the bigger boobs that are more annoying for me.

post #34 of 69

i love having boobs! first time in my life that I've had boobs that actually move. but bras are the most obnoxious thing in the world. boooo

post #35 of 69

Before I had kids I had a small B cup and I remember feeling like FINALLY when my boobs started to get big with my first pregnancy. But then 5 yrs of straight pregnancy/nursing and the novelty wore off I guess. Enjoy them! And yeah finding a good bra that fits is so crucial. The annoying thing is changing cup sizes so frequently during pregnancy and the early postpartum months. I told myself that I would actually get fitted at a specialty shop this pregnancy and treat myself... but that hasn't happened yet! And now I think I'll just wait to get some nice nursing bras.

post #36 of 69

I think my boobs go from an A cup to a D cup in pregnancy and early nursing..... Then back down to an A cup at around 18 months.  I dont do bras though.  I hate the way they feel.  I do camis with built in shelf.  I have worn a bra maybe 2 times since having DD1 almost 4.5 years ago.  I don't know if I can ever go back.

post #37 of 69

i'm a 32DD when not pregnant, but a 32H-J when pregnant/early nursing.  boobs get old.  my husband calls them 'small and perky' when they're down to a DD.  it's that dramatic.  but i don't get to opt out of bras, since the breasts gain as much weight as the baby during pregnancy.  i always wear a bra when having to do things.  i miss having small(er) breasts that don't weigh a ton and try and smother me in the night.  thankfully, when my milk comes in it isn't a shocking thing anymore and i have the bras on hand for it, but the first time, well, it was a shocker.

 

i don't LOVE the uber padded booty- but it's not as annoying as the boobs for me either.  i don't like that it's about 3 inches worth of padding on TOP of my butt, instead of a steady even round curve.  but i might be a little vain.  it's a big cushy butt, and an even bigger belly.  the larger thighs aren't fun!  whenever i stand behind a pregnant woman who has SKINNY THIGHS AND NO BUTT i get a little jealous, but i have muscular thighs and butt when not pregnant, so why would they get smaller?

 

i do like that my calves get curvier from the extra weight and exercise.  in fact, i always have a lot of muscle when the baby comes out.  

 

i ordered 2 nicer nursing bras- one wireless (for at home) and one w/ underwire (for when i actually leave the house and don't want to look like the mashed-up uniboob from leakyland and beyond).  i also have converted a few of my giant 34G bras into nursing bras w/ elastic and hooks.  i'm pretty proud of those.  thankfully, they only are necessary for the first couple months.  my butt diminishes so much faster.....

post #38 of 69

Lurking from january group  House of Peace it is so refreshing and funny to read your post.  I remember after my 1st was born and I was huge with one boob bigger than the other, leaking and engorged and just so sad about my breasts.  Now I am mostly used to it but I hate how uncomfortable I am in a bra and I do sometimes wear the uniboob smashed nursing tops and say to hell with it I'd rather be comfortable than look like I have two boobs that are somewhat presentable.  I am a 32E when not preggo and then pregnant I just look huge because most of it is boobs and it all blends together..I need to buy some big bras for post-partum but I am avoiding it, that whole leaky hot breasts that need to be used a lot is not sounding appealing to me right now, I do love to nurse once the boobs calm down a bit.  I think I wore cabbage leaves in a tee shirt for way longer than I had to last time just cause it felt so good.
 

post #39 of 69

I miss being able to go bra-less too. After nursing my boobs stayed bigger and it's just uncomfortable to go without one. They aren't huge by any stretch but they went up to a 32 C/D depending on how much I weighted and the time of the month. And certainly not as perky as they used to be haha! My mom friends whose boobs got smaller after nursing tell me that I'm *lucky* but I'd take smaller perkier boobs over bigger ones ANY day.

post #40 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnahataChakra View Post

Lurking from january group  House of Peace it is so refreshing and funny to read your post.  I remember after my 1st was born and I was huge with one boob bigger than the other, leaking and engorged and just so sad about my breasts.  Now I am mostly used to it but I hate how uncomfortable I am in a bra and I do sometimes wear the uniboob smashed nursing tops and say to hell with it I'd rather be comfortable than look like I have two boobs that are somewhat presentable.  I am a 32E when not preggo and then pregnant I just look huge because most of it is boobs and it all blends together..I need to buy some big bras for post-partum but I am avoiding it, that whole leaky hot breasts that need to be used a lot is not sounding appealing to me right now, I do love to nurse once the boobs calm down a bit.  I think I wore cabbage leaves in a tee shirt for way longer than I had to last time just cause it felt so good.
 

OH YES!  I forgot about 'feisty'!!!  i have the one breast who thinks it's superpower is to lactate enough for an entire nursery.  the baby cries, my left side lets down, i attach baby to right breast, and the left side lets down, i switch baby to left breast and the left side lets down, halfway through nursing the left breast decides that it's not enough and lets down again (at this point baby is choking and pushing overactive breast away) and then i'm stuck w/ one drained breast, and one that looks like it's ready to erupt (b/c it is).  i told my husband i'm a two-trick pony, and if the baby doesn't need one or the other of my tricks, i'm stuck!  so if it can't be fixed by nursing or changing, then it becomes his duty!

 

and i am with loveandgarbage- give me 'smaller and perkier'.  sagginess and floppiness is just never fun... though i will never be small or perky, i prefer anything on that end of the spectrum!

Mothering › Groups › February 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › Weight gain!