I am so worried about my little boy
My son is 2.5 years old and only saying words and a few sentences to communicate. We have started speech therapy. The speech therapist says I should have him screened for Sensory Processing Disorder (because he puts everything in his mouth, jumps up and down, lies on the floor) or Autism.
He is VERY VERY happy and easy going, full of laughter. He prefers to kick a ball, but will sit down to colour too. He gives us hugs and kisses and communicates his needs. But he isn't social yet (only with people he knows very well) At daycare they say he is different because he isn't social and they say he is a handful because he is so high energy, always preferring to run over circle time.
In my heart, I don't think he has a disorder. I think he is a quirky two year old. Yet I hate having him analyzed this way. I read online that these are the flags for autism:
1)Shows little response when you call her name, especially if she is in preschool
2) May not respond when other people try to talk or play with her
3) Shows little interest in getting attention from others
4) Does not point with her index finger to show what she is interested in
5) Shows a lack of interest in toys or plays with toys in an unusual way
6) May seem moody or irritable or very passive, and she may suddenly change from being very passive to very irritable in a short period of time
7) may make have difficulty using eye gaze appropriately in social situations
I would say #1, #2, #3 #4 could be him at times and that upsets me!
However, he is very good with pointing out his body parts, pointing to things in books, and telling us all the animal sounds
Can someone have some autism traits at such a young young age and NOT have a disorder? I feel like he the same as I was at this age, but people were much easier on toddlers back then, there wasn't an enormous pressure to conform. I am 4 months pregnant and I am not sure if the hormones are adding to my worry. My husband isn't worried, or so it seems
There are videos on Youtube of toddlers my kids age having complex conversations about the makes of cars and writing the alphabet. My son is NO WHERE near that!
Edited by Birdsounds222 - 11/11/12 at 8:14am