or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Are your pots/pans/bakeware pristine?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are your pots/pans/bakeware pristine? - Page 2

post #21 of 47
No, they're not pristine. But they're clean enough. In my book, nothing is ever "pristine", but it's clean. I feel your pain though. During their last visit, my Dad schockingly exclaimed, "Your refrigerator is clean!" He was genuinely shocked. It made me wonder, what the heck is it normally like? eyesroll.gif For the record, my fridge is fine.
post #22 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by *bejeweled* View Post

No, they're not pristine. But they're clean enough. In my book, nothing is ever "pristine", but it's clean. I feel your pain though. During their last visit, my Dad schockingly exclaimed, "Your refrigerator is clean!" He was genuinely shocked. It made me wonder, what the heck is it normally like? eyesroll.gif For the record, my fridge is fine.

My sister said to me "I like the color of you floor.  It really hides the dirt."

 

OK........ um.... Thanks?

post #23 of 47
Quote:

My sister said to me "I like the color of you floor.  It really hides the dirt."

 

OK........ um.... Thanks?

My parents built their house when I was about 7.  When my mom was picking out the linoleum for the kitchen floor, she took a bunch of samples home, laid them all out in the living room and then threw crumbs and dirt on each to see which patterns were best at hiding the dirt.   She also picked out the pattern to paint the walls with (used these rollar things) by seeing which ones hid fingerprints and marks the best.

 

This is the woman I learned my stellar housekeeping skills from. lol.gif

post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymommy2 View Post

My pots and pans stay shiney unless I burn something. I use a scouring paste on them and they will look like new. My metal silver cake pans don't really get brown, but my cookie sheets and muffin tins look terrible. I used to keep my newest shiniest cookie sheet for just cookie and only use my old ones for meat or greasy things and that helps them stay shiney, but now that one has long since been categorized as old and they all look the same. My casserole dishes get dirty, but I can always get them clean with some scrubbing, they are all glass, maybe that is why? If you make a rhubarb cake, it will shine up your cake pans! I'm not sure why, maybe the acid?

 

Rhubarb is GREAT for shinyfying pots.  Rhubarb leaves especially.

 

One time, I burnt a pot really badly - forgot it on the stove while reducing some stock, it caught on fire and nearly burned the house down.  Oops.  I thought the pot was ruined, but I read about the rhubarb leaves and simmered a bunch in the pot for a few hours and then let the resulting sludge sit in the pot for several days.  Most of the black stuff came off reasonably easy after that, and a couple more treatments had the pot clean.  The last little bit came off with comet and some other scrubby thing.

 

I regularly use the Lagostina stainless steel cleaner for my pots and they ARE pristine.  I also use aluminum baking sheets (always with parchment) because they scrub clean easily.  I like my shiny cookware.  But I don't judge friends on their crusty cookware unless I'm trying to use it to make stuff at their house and their cookie sheets aren't just black, they're crusty, and they don't have any parchment paper.  Makes chicken wings kinda non-viable.  But it's a functionality judgement, not a hygiene one.  Any germs are cooked to a crisp too and completely deactivated so that doesn't bug me.

post #25 of 47
Thread Starter 

Thanks ladies!  You made me laugh AND made me feel normal.  The cast iron enamel is one of the offenders.  It get's used at LEAST 2-3 times a day and probably more.  I think I was also using heat that was too high when I first got it so that messed it up a little too.

It's cause I'm edgy and hip though.  ;)

post #26 of 47

Just wanted to say that last night I made roast chicken and that roasting pan got the scrubbing of its life thanks to this thread.  lol.gif

post #27 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post

 

Rhubarb is GREAT for shinyfying pots.  Rhubarb leaves especially.

 

 

You learn something new every day.  I did not know this! thumb.gif

post #28 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliabedelia View Post

My parents built their house when I was about 7.  When my mom was picking out the linoleum for the kitchen floor, she took a bunch of samples home, laid them all out in the living room and then threw crumbs and dirt on each to see which patterns were best at hiding the dirt.   She also picked out the pattern to paint the walls with (used these rollar things) by seeing which ones hid fingerprints and marks the best.

 

This is the woman I learned my stellar housekeeping skills from. lol.gif

That's a great idea!  I still think the salesman that sold us~a couple of childbearing age with dog and cat hair on their shirts~ off-white carpet should be beaten.  There should be a law.orngtongue.gif Or a waiver to sign.

post #29 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormborn View Post

That's a great idea!  I still think the salesman that sold us~a couple of childbearing age with dog and cat hair on their shirts~ off-white carpet should be beaten.  There should be a law.orngtongue.gif Or a waiver to sign.

 

Yes.  That ought to be some kind of professional misconduct violation or something.

 

Part of why we bought our place was that the (minimal) carpeting was such a good colour for hiding pet hair.

post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post

Pots and pans are mostly pristine because after many years I learned to deglaze fry and sauce pans so there is little to no "gunk" left on the bottom after cooking.  My pots are heavy duty stainless, if that matters.

 

Cookie sheets are another story and would like make any OCD guest run for the door.  I use the "cookie" sheets for roasting veggies, fish, etc. and there is something about baked on oil that WILL NOT COME OFF.  I use them until they start to gross me out (and that takes a long time) and then replace them with another set. 

 

Exactly this.  They are clean, but they don't look new that's for sure!

post #31 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliabedelia View Post

My parents built their house when I was about 7.  When my mom was picking out the linoleum for the kitchen floor, she took a bunch of samples home, laid them all out in the living room and then threw crumbs and dirt on each to see which patterns were best at hiding the dirt.   She also picked out the pattern to paint the walls with (used these rollar things) by seeing which ones hid fingerprints and marks the best.

This is the woman I learned my stellar housekeeping skills from. lol.gif

 

Your mother is a genius. I am seriously doing this when I have a house of my own. 

post #32 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

Just wanted to say that last night I made roast chicken and that roasting pan got the scrubbing of its life thanks to this thread.  lol.gif

 

Hahahaha LMAO. We've been skipping the pans altogether and using the crockpot because of this thread!

post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormborn View Post

That's a great idea!  I still think the salesman that sold us~a couple of childbearing age with dog and cat hair on their shirts~ off-white carpet should be beaten.  There should be a law.orngtongue.gif Or a waiver to sign.

 

I agree! (Even though it took me awhile to understand what you wrote. Pregnancy/sleepy, anyone? orngtongue.gif That's part of the reason I *love* the house were in now. Even though it has carpeting in living room and bedrooms, the carpet is dark tan/light brown, and literally *everything* the kids have spilled/could spill disappears! (I bet the landlord loves the carpet for that reason, too.)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

 

Hahahaha LMAO. We've been skipping the pans altogether and using the crockpot because of this thread!

 

I love you ladies! Always making me feel more at home, even though I'm probably slightly more... chewy(?).. than crunchy. joy.gif (But have no fear, I'm becoming more crunchi-fied every day!)

post #34 of 47

Mine are pretty much pristine, because DH washes them.  He's rather anal about them looking shiny.   If it's me they're considered clean if there's no food scrap left.

post #35 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post

Pots and pans are mostly pristine because after many years I learned to deglaze fry and sauce pans so there is little to no "gunk" left on the bottom after cooking.  My pots are heavy duty stainless, if that matters.

 

Cookie sheets are another story and would like make any OCD guest run for the door.  I use the "cookie" sheets for roasting veggies, fish, etc. and there is something about baked on oil that WILL NOT COME OFF.  I use them until they start to gross me out (and that takes a long time) and then replace them with another set. 

 This exactly, although I will add that in addition to the deglazing, I still have to use a scrub on my pans for some tough stains.  Also, I really like my corning ware casserole dishes (I have the French White series) and after more than 10 years, they still look practically new.  The material is just super easy to clean.

post #36 of 47

my cookie sheets are dark, and the bottoms of my pots are too.  

post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areia View Post

 This exactly, although I will add that in addition to the deglazing, I still have to use a scrub on my pans for some tough stains.  Also, I really like my corning ware casserole dishes (I have the French White series) and after more than 10 years, they still look practically new.  The material is just super easy to clean.

 

Good to know, I am limping along with two pieces that are way past their prime.  I will check out that line.

post #38 of 47

I am so not anal about cleaning my cookware, but especially when the kids were younger I was a little freaky about what kinds of materials I wanted to use in my kitchen. I got rid of all Teflon. Won't have that at all. Got rid of most aluminum (not into the anodized aluminum, either) and got all cast iron and stainless steel. The cast iron is not the enameled, but the real uncoated cast iron so it's black as night. I have two frying pans, a grill pan, a griddle, two muffin tins and two loaf pans — all black and well seasoned. Then I also have a stainless cookie sheet and a stainless brownie pan. They are scratched, but still shiny and they clean up pretty easily. I do have a couple of aluminum muffin tins I inherited and they are far from shiny. I also have stainless sauce-pans which DH bought. I think he got a bargain, so not sure of the quality. They're looking a little iffy to me lately with some pitting and staining (I burnt something pretty bad in one and I think it took a layer of stainless off when it came out). The stainless bakeware, though, really cleans up easily. So I would agree with the PPs who said that it depends on the material your bakeware is made from. I also have some ceramic/glass bakeware and that cleans up fine, too. 

 

Now, the rest of my house and kitchen — not so much on the pristine business. I do have Marmoleum flooring in Van Gogh yellow with lots of swirlies and it is pretty great at hiding a lot of dirt, but not so great at hiding black dog hair, darnit.

post #39 of 47

hmm...it occurs to me that I have no idea what my sole cookie sheet (it's actually a jelly roll pan, but I use it as a cookie sheet) or my muffin pans are made from. I got them second hand over 20 years ago, and have used them ever since, and I never once thought about it...

post #40 of 47

An "18/8" on the underside indicates it's stainless steel, reasonably good quality.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Talk Amongst Ourselves
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Are your pots/pans/bakeware pristine?