My friend is in the higher end of 'overweight' for her BMI and has been TTC with no success for 8 months now. She is worried it might be due to her weight, does anyone have information on this? I said as long as her cycles are regular then it should be okay, right? And she is very regular. (her partner is slim and healthy and already has a child from a previous relationship, so we don't think it's any problem with him.) Any advice?
Mothering Top Picks
- topicTrying To Conceive
Related Forum Threads
- Intro & My Cycle Update Last post on 5/18/13 at 9:34pm in Trying To Conceive
- Want to take pregnancy test! Last post on 5/18/13 at 8:16am in Trying To Conceive
- three days late, negative tests Last post on 5/16/13 at 11:31am in Trying To Conceive
- three days late, negative tests Last post on 5/17/13 at 10:00am in Fertility
- And I'm back...preparing to TTC Last post on 5/17/13 at 10:12am in Trying To Conceive
Can being over weight affect TTC?
Being overweight can definitely affect fertility, but it doesn't seem like doctors are too concerned unless you are technically obese. It could be her weight, but it could easily be something else. I wouldn't assume her partner is fine just because he looks healthy and had a child before. Sperm quality changes over short periods of time. I also suggest charting and reading a book like Taking Charge of Your Fertility just to be more familiar with how everything works. After a year, she can go to her doctor for testing unless she is over 35, then she should go now.
Yes she charts and has a very regular cycle, with a higher temp after ovulation and consistent 11 day luteal phase. So she is sure she ovulates. I don't know her exact BMI but she said it's just below the obese category. How would that affect fertility if her cycles are so regular? I don't know what to tell her, I said to see a doctor but she wants to keep trying for a full 12 months first.
I thought that too. Hopefully she won't become obese, as she doesn't seem to gain weight, apart from when she diets and loses a few pounds then gains it back.
An 11 day luteal phase is not ideal. While still possible to get pregnant, she may want to work on lengthening that. It's good that she's charting, because that's where you can really see issues that need addressing. How's her mucus? Is she getting adequate amounts of EWCM prior to ovulation? How are her temps? Does she run low? People with low BBT might have thyroid issues, which can lead to trouble conceiving. I'd recommend her reading Taking Charge of your Fertility, by Weschler and also Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon. How old is your friend?
That right there could be her issue, while weight effects fertility rates Yo-Yo Dieting does worse.
Between the loss and gain of weight it throws your cycle for a loop.
Not to mention if she exercises while she is dieting then stops when she gives up it will also effect a woman's normal cycle.
- Can being over weight affect TTC?
- › Spring/Summer 2013 Pregnant Bajingos - Having #1 in our 30s 12 seconds ago
- › Queer Conceptions: May 2013 2 minutes ago
- › ~+~+~+~+~ May 2013 Chat *~*~*~*~* 9 minutes ago
- › when relocating do you ask for an exemption before you move? 10 minutes ago
- › Need advice- obsessed Grandma causing problems 12 minutes ago
- › stress and vaccination 14 minutes ago
- › Baby names....anyone brainstorming? 45 minutes ago
- › Carrier addiction- fun thread! 51 minutes ago
- › Ipad for homeschooling 53 minutes ago
- › Would you risk sedation for an MRI in this situation? 54 minutes ago
- › My Brest Friend Travel Nursing Pillow by KaliShanti
- › Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by KaliShanti
- › Bebe Au Lait Cotton Nursing Cover - Poppy Hills by KaliShanti
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by KaliShanti
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by KaliShanti
- › Udder Covers for Nursing Mothers - CARSON by kelseywhitney
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by VKHarberRYT
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo