My friend is in the higher end of 'overweight' for her BMI and has been TTC with no success for 8 months now. She is worried it might be due to her weight, does anyone have information on this? I said as long as her cycles are regular then it should be okay, right? And she is very regular. (her partner is slim and healthy and already has a child from a previous relationship, so we don't think it's any problem with him.) Any advice?
Mothering Top Picks
- topicTrying To Conceive
Related Forum Threads
- Intro & My Cycle Update Last post on Yesterday at 9:34 pm in Trying To Conceive
- Want to take pregnancy test! Last post on Yesterday at 8:16 am in Trying To Conceive
- three days late, negative tests Last post on 5/16/13 at 11:31am in Trying To Conceive
- three days late, negative tests Last post on 5/17/13 at 10:00am in Fertility
- And I'm back...preparing to TTC Last post on 5/17/13 at 10:12am in Trying To Conceive
Can being over weight affect TTC?
Being overweight can definitely affect fertility, but it doesn't seem like doctors are too concerned unless you are technically obese. It could be her weight, but it could easily be something else. I wouldn't assume her partner is fine just because he looks healthy and had a child before. Sperm quality changes over short periods of time. I also suggest charting and reading a book like Taking Charge of Your Fertility just to be more familiar with how everything works. After a year, she can go to her doctor for testing unless she is over 35, then she should go now.
Yes she charts and has a very regular cycle, with a higher temp after ovulation and consistent 11 day luteal phase. So she is sure she ovulates. I don't know her exact BMI but she said it's just below the obese category. How would that affect fertility if her cycles are so regular? I don't know what to tell her, I said to see a doctor but she wants to keep trying for a full 12 months first.
I thought that too. Hopefully she won't become obese, as she doesn't seem to gain weight, apart from when she diets and loses a few pounds then gains it back.
An 11 day luteal phase is not ideal. While still possible to get pregnant, she may want to work on lengthening that. It's good that she's charting, because that's where you can really see issues that need addressing. How's her mucus? Is she getting adequate amounts of EWCM prior to ovulation? How are her temps? Does she run low? People with low BBT might have thyroid issues, which can lead to trouble conceiving. I'd recommend her reading Taking Charge of your Fertility, by Weschler and also Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon. How old is your friend?
That right there could be her issue, while weight effects fertility rates Yo-Yo Dieting does worse.
Between the loss and gain of weight it throws your cycle for a loop.
Not to mention if she exercises while she is dieting then stops when she gives up it will also effect a woman's normal cycle.
- Can being over weight affect TTC?
- › Alternatives to cord clamping? 6 minutes ago
- › How do you all find a babysitter? 6 minutes ago
- › Do Cesareans limit your family size? 9 minutes ago
- › Benefits of 5-6 year age spacing? 10 minutes ago
- › Hi! 20 minutes ago
- › Book/Folder covers without plastic 20 minutes ago
- › how to stop braxton hicks/irritable uterus 21 minutes ago
- › Autism in Albuquerque? 25 minutes ago
- › Neighbor touched my son's penis (3yo) 25 minutes ago
- › Frequent Night Waking 29 minutes ago
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › Charlie Banana Reusable Feminine Pads Liner Butterfly, Butterfly by Chapsie
- › Earth Mama-Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm, 2 fl oz (60 ml) by Chapsie
- › Econobum Individual by Chapsie
- › EnJoye LBI Deluxe Tote Set - Brown by JennaRose
- › Lusa Organics Booty Balm by emkassu
- › I Took the Moon for a Walk by Melanie Mayo
- › BabyKicks Premium Pocket Diaper by KirstenP
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by SmilinMomma
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions - Sustainability Oak... by JenniO11