We are not yet TTC, but were planning on starting in the spring, in about 5-6 months. I have a 22m old DD, and we were lucky to conceive her on the second real cycle where we timed things around O, and we have no other history of TTC difficulties. I'm hypothyroid, and my levels have gotten very out-of-whack this year (I'm still BFing), so I've been concentrating on getting those corrected and stable before we start TTC #2. (I'll be turning 35 this month.) As a part of the general blood tests that my thyroid doc runs, I just noticed today that he did an FSH test last time, on what turned out to be CD 2, and my level was 11.70.
I was just going over my thyroid lab results right now, and thought I'd check these other hormone numbers just to see where I was, and now I'm suddenly breathless with fear, since apparently this FSH level is bad. My doctor didn't say anything, because I don't think he was even looking at it or really focused on where I was in my cycle - I think they just run these labs as part of a larger hormone panel, and since I'm not even TTC yet, much less have a history of infertility (and b/c he's not an ER or OBGYN), he didn't even think to analyze it.
I don't have any history of infertility, but since reading on the internet that your worst FSH level is the one that is important, I now feel panicked about our ability to conceive a second child. I'm really hoping that this is just a blip somehow, and that the research literature that is out there talking about the worst FSH level measured is less relevant for someone who isn't currently trying to do IVF and doesn't already have a history of infertility or TTC for an extended period of time. Or I'm hoping that somehow, even though there is no evidence of any relationship as of yet in the medical literature, that my thyroid being all out of whack might somehow have influenced this FSH level. But if this FSH number is just going to go up, I don't want to take any chances that we won't be able to have a second child. I have a good acupuncturist (who also works on fertility issues) that I am going to call first thing tomorrow so that I can start seeing her again asap. But I'm not sure what else I should be doing right now. I can't go ahead to TTC while my thyroid is so unstable, but I also don't want to wait months if each month could really reduce my chances of being able to get pregnant a second time.
Can someone possibly help me to put this in perspective? Should I be going to see an RE right away, even though we haven't even TTC yet? Should I just repeat the test next month, and if that result is not also high, relax and just wait to see if we do ok on our own first? Should I ask for an AMH test?
I'm really hoping for some reassurance, coupled with some practical advice of what I should do next from any of you who might have more knowledge in this area...
Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post!