So I've declined my glucose tolerance test twice now. Initially one of my hospital based midwives wanted it done @ 20 weeks. I didn't go, borrowed a glucometer from my doula and checked my sugar 2-3 times a day for a week. At my 24 week visit I explained that although I understand I have some risk factors for GD (overweight and over 25) I would not be drinking the glucola and had monitored my blood sugars instead. That particular midwife was ok with it, and asked if I'd do the test at 28 weeks. I told her I'd think about it. They seem mostly concerned because I have gained too much weight (at 24 weeks I had gained 21 lbs, due to my beginning weight they wanted a max weight gain of 20 pounds).
After discussing with my doula (who is also a homebirth midwife) and doing more research I decided to decline the 28 week test as well and simply test my sugars again for a week prior to my appointment. So I did that and noticed that my sugars were a little higher than the first time I monitored, although they were still within normal range. I've been focusing on watching my carbs, I really eat very little sugar, but using the glucometer I have been able to see how my body handles different kinds of carbs. I notice that potatoes raise it higher than anything else. I explained all this to the midwife and that I am committed to watching my carbs and sugar and continuing to exercise which I have been doing all along. I also have an appt to meet with a nutritionist, and am willing to keep checking my sugars prior to each appointment. I just think that stressing out my pancreas, baby, and body with that much sugar and dye isn't healthy. I'm also concerned about the number of false positives. And frankly the first treatment for GD would be diet and exercise, which I am doing already.
She was not pleased and I explained that I really felt I was already being pushed in a direction I did not want to go, namely the "your baby is too big and we need to induce you" train. I also explained that their constant focus on my weight has gotten to the point where I dread going to visits. We did agree to a sort of compromise, they had already done a fasting glucose on me for my 28 week lab work (it was 89) , and so we agreed that I'd go to the lab 2 hours after eating a regular meal and get a blood draw, which I did today.
I'm hoping that's the end of the discussion about this. However, she also said she's never had anyone refuse the test and she will have to dicuss with one of the other midwives if this alternative test will be sufficient. So after this whole long story, here's what I'm asking. Do any of you ladies have any suggestions (aside from just take the test) you can offer about what to do/say if they decide that my 2 weeks of self test, a fasting and a 2 hr post meal test are just not sufficient?